Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Curious as to the thoughts on the motion decoys coming out?

Started by Marc, February 17, 2017, 09:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

Wouldn't matter. Many of the laws are vague enough that a good English teacher could defend you in a court of law anyway.

Marc

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on February 19, 2017, 06:24:04 PM
But it's your money if you wanted to who cares???? Believe me it ain't my cup of tea,but if someone needs or wants to who should care....do you use decoys for duck hunting or pass shoot? Shouldn't matter....I'm not condoning battery operated decoys for turkey hunting,but if we're talking fair chase it's club and running after them or even natural voice or wingbone,with longbow or spear....

Game laws are written and based on to some degree the level of Hunter success and Hunter take on certain species.

If we create products that allow more hunters far easier success on taking game, it would make sense that we would see reductions in both season link and harvest limits.

It is always been my feeling that hunters are and should be the biggest conservationalist, and the most adamant stewards of the game that we take.

When spinning wing duck decoys  initially came out, they were so effective that it was a bit startling to me. However what was more startling is that hunters not only condoned them, but created a market for them.

Thankfully due to the fact that these birds  migrate, and experience some degree of hunting pressure before they get to us, we have seen a great reduction in the effectiveness of these decoys.  But, initially I certainly did write a letter to my own fishing game department as to my disapproval of these decoys and their use in hunting.

Not only do I not see issue with questioning methods and means that seem unfair, I believe it is the responsibility of ethical hunters and conservationalists  to evaluate and consider some of the means and methods used to take the game that we so enjoy.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

1iagobblergetter

I hear ya and wonder where it stops,but I'm not going to judge anyone how they hunt. If someone came into your store and started grabbing glasses off your shelves on a continuing basis you'd call the law to get them out of your store before you went broke. What if a farmer just buys a license and motorized decoy to hunt behind so he has less turkeys scratching his seed out as fast as he plants it? My question is unless a person hunts them like our early ancestors were all cheating aren't we? Just some a little less than others....

surehuntsalot

should not be allowed, there is a BIG difference between a turkey hunter and a turkey shooter, if you are using bait, all the latest electronic gadgets, and trying to set a world record for the longest shot on a wild turkey then you are a turkey shooter. The word "hunter" should not even be used around this.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Ericbrooks

It doesn't take a motorized decoy to kill a turkey.
This is just a marketing ploy that will steal your $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 19, 2017, 10:30:15 PM
should not be allowed, there is a BIG difference between a turkey hunter and a turkey shooter, if you are using bait, all the latest electronic gadgets, and trying to set a world record for the longest shot on a wild turkey then you are a turkey shooter. The word "hunter" should not even be used around this.
I have to agree,but all I'm saying is everyone has a different opinion of ethical. Some bowhunters think it's unethical to use a shotgun, I like to shoot my turkeys under 20 yds,but don't fault someone for shooting 40yds. Some guys hate decoys and think it's cheating others think nothing of it..etc. I wouldn't ever use a motorized decoy. Don't need to,but I'm not going to lose sleep over someone that does. I just think it's beating a dead horse. Hunt the way you want and let others hunt the way they want as long as the person believes it's ETHICAL....also shooting ethically,and it's within the law. It boils down to how much of a challenge does a person want in my opinion.

Uncle Nicky

As usual, we tend to become our own worst enemies. I have no doubt that a decoy with realistic motion would be more effective, I've always thought decoys were a hit or miss endeavor since they DON'T move unless the wind is blowing (and if the wind is too fast, they blow over). But I have no plan on buying one, at least right now. But if someone wants to hunt with one, knock yourself out. :z-guntootsmiley:

SteelerFan

These debates always surface when change is introduced into the hunting world, whether it's seasons, bag limits, equipment, etc. We as stakeholders naturally have an opinion on all of it.

I appreciate the adage of "if you want to hunt that way, and its legal - go for it"... BUT it is up to us collectively to have input on what regulations and laws govern our sport. We all have our own personal line of ethics concerning legal methods of hunting that we choose to follow. To blindly accept "new" is not always best - even if you don't think it will effect you personally.

My opinion (since it was asked): motorized decoys have crossed the line. I truly believe they are a profit motivated manipulation of hunters. Especially those seeking instant gratification, or "guaranteed" results. I can only hope these types of 'innovations" meet enough resistance that they fail to produce the expected profit margins, and disappear.

I totally get that we are no longer living in old school times. I look at my darn phone to see a satellite image of the property I'm hunting on for goodness sakes! My personal line of ethics allows me to do that...lol.

Improved shotgun ammo for cleaner kills?  GOOD
Improved shotgun ammo for longer kills?   Not so much
Improved clothing for my comfort?            Very GOOD
Planting food plots for turkey and wildlife?  GOOD
Hunting turkeys over a pile of bait?           Not so much

Etc, etc, etc...

Marc

Quote from: SteelerFan on February 20, 2017, 10:47:54 AM
These debates always surface when change is introduced into the hunting world, whether it's seasons, bag limits, equipment, etc. We as stakeholders naturally have an opinion on all of it.

I appreciate the adage of "if you want to hunt that way, and its legal - go for it"... BUT it is up to us collectively to have input on what regulations and laws govern our sport. We all have our own personal line of ethics concerning legal methods of hunting that we choose to follow. To blindly accept "new" is not always best - even if you don't think it will effect you personally.

My opinion (since it was asked): motorized decoys have crossed the line. I truly believe they are a profit motivated manipulation of hunters. Especially those seeking instant gratification, or "guaranteed" results. I can only hope these types of 'innovations" meet enough resistance that they fail to produce the expected profit margins, and disappear.

I totally get that we are no longer living in old school times. I look at my darn phone to see a satellite image of the property I'm hunting on for goodness sakes! My personal line of ethics allows me to do that...lol.

Etc, etc, etc...

Well said.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

BowBendr

Etc, etc, etc...

Agree 100% but it is very hard to provide resistance these days when you are constantly battered with the " lets all hold hands and get along" mantra.

It is my personal opinion that the "go for it if it is legal" crowd is starting to really hurt the outdoor/shooting sports as a whole.

One emerging trend that I see on hunting forums is the actual loss of our very own opinions. We are constantly being told that to stay strong as a collective whole we must value  each others opinions, make no waves and dont step on anybodys toes, while at the same time being struck down for an opinion.
Example: make a simple post about not using dekes or blinds and you will be told that you are out of touch and not respecting others privilege to hunt in their own way......while being told that your opinion doesnt matter. Think about that for a bit.......

Cant have it both ways.......now excuse me as I have decided to start smoking the reefer weed today, screw my ethics, right ? Hey, its legal........

Gods of Thunder

silvestris

Humans have been judging one another since the dawn of man.  So it has been, so it shall remain.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bowguy

Bowbender has it right imo. To each his own but we are sportsman. We sport hunt so it's gotta be sporting. Making things easier isn't making them more sporting. It's only an opinion but the harder it is the more rewarding.
I'm not against all technology, we all use some.,

trkehunr93

One word, three syllables- DAN-GER-OUS!  Why don't you just tote domestic bird with you and tether it to a tree and let it do all the calling for you too.  Geez!

davisd9

I know some people it would be fun to use to mess with.  I would not pay 300 for it but I think I could get a couple good laughs from it and a real fan placed on it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: BowBendr on February 20, 2017, 12:09:49 PM

Etc, etc, etc...

Agree 100% but it is very hard to provide resistance these days when you are constantly battered with the " lets all hold hands and get along" mantra.

It is my personal opinion that the "go for it if it is legal" crowd is starting to really hurt the outdoor/shooting sports as a whole.

One emerging trend that I see on hunting forums is the actual loss of our very own opinions. We are constantly being told that to stay strong as a collective whole we must value  each others opinions, make no waves and dont step on anybodys toes, while at the same time being struck down for an opinion.
Example: make a simple post about not using dekes or blinds and you will be told that you are out of touch and not respecting others privilege to hunt in their own way......while being told that your opinion doesnt matter. Think about that for a bit.......

Cant have it both ways.......now excuse me as I have decided to start smoking the reefer weed today, screw my ethics, right ? Hey, its legal........

Gods of Thunder
Lol..that's a good one.....If it's legal smoke er up just don't blow it in anyone's face that doesn't want some... :funnyturkey: