OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slipping up close to roost in dry leaves

Started by northms, February 12, 2017, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

There is one location I hunt that's deep woods with high ridges. It's obviously covered in leaves and it's almost impossible to slip thru the woods while they're still on the roost gobbling because it so loud. Leaves sound like egg shells in the dead silence of the morning.

Do you have any unconventional or regular ways you slip thru deep woods with little noise. You almost have to be on the same ridge when they fly down because of being henned up but it's tough. 

I knew an old timer who swears he used to put two layers of thick socks over his boots to muffle noise.

Happy

Go in extra early. Turkeys have things walk under them all the time in the dark. Just don't walk in the same steady pace like most people do. A few steps at a time and a pause for a bit sounds much more natural.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Rzrbac

Go in early, walk slow and don't allow yourself to be silhouetted. Stay on the back side of the ridge opposite where they are roosted.

Smooth_Operator

Some good ideas so far. I'll add that I like to carry a "stalking stick" in the woods with me for whatever I'm hunting. Essentially just a walking stick that I use to hit the ground in between foot steps. It gives the effect of a four legged animal walking through the woods. I also stop regularly and wait a minute before continuing. And as already mentioned, go in while it's still pitch black dark, and work slowly...

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

hobbes

Roosting a bird can really help in this situation.  That way you aren't waiting around for him to gobble then moving.  If you know within reason where he's already roosted, you can move in very early as mentioned above.  Roosting a bird doesn't always mean getting him to sound off.  Sometimes you have to just listen for birds to fly up.

Bowguy

Quote from: Happy on February 12, 2017, 03:01:12 PM
Go in extra early. Turkeys have things walk under them all the time in the dark. Just don't walk in the same steady pace like most people do. A few steps at a time and a pause for a bit sounds much more natural.

There's your answer

Marc

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on February 12, 2017, 03:38:36 PM
Some good ideas so far. I'll add that I like to carry a "stalking stick" in the woods with me for whatever I'm hunting. Essentially just a walking stick that I use to hit the ground in between foot steps. It gives the effect of a four legged animal walking through the woods. I also stop regularly and wait a minute before continuing. And as already mentioned, go in while it's still pitch black dark, and work slowly...
The walking stick is an excellent idea.  I will likely use that idea this spring.

Also arrive early enough that you are not "rushed."  Walking in the dark, I like to go slow and easy, as I am more likely to stumble, or position myself poorly if I feel at all rushed.  I would far rather get to my spot 30 minutes early and wait for the woods to wake up, rather than rush to get in on time and screw something up.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

THattaway

Hunt the spot after you've had an overnight rain. Been there and done that.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

TauntoHawk

After rain or windy days might be better days to try, also use the get in real early and go slow approach. I like to get tucked in tight as much as possible

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

I just ramble in like a big ole raccoon or three.    Thinking about tree hopping like a squirrel next.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Quote from: guesswho on February 12, 2017, 05:49:43 PM
I just ramble in like a big ole raccoon or three.    Thinking about tree hopping like a squirrel next.
Please let me know when and where if you attempt tree hopping. I just want to be in the distance listening for the crash and the choice words that follow. :D

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

FullChoke

If you know where he is roosted, don't get that close to him. Set up about 100 yards away from him on his ridge, call to him once he is on the ground and let him make the noise in the leaves in those last few yards. Also, scratching in the leaves with quiet clucking to imitate a hen feeding in your area can be heard from a long ways off and is very convincing.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

guesswho

Choice words will be before, during, and after :)
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Old Gobbler

I've gone bare foot or in socks before , but soft sole crocks, or crock knock offs are what I wear 95%of the time , i started wearing them for a combination of reasons, one is just totally giving up on dry feet , and watching a documentary about aboriginal Australian trackers and thier special shoes they wore to avoid being detected or tracked by other aborigines

Turkeys hearing is simply unbelievable. ..most hunters acknowledge this , but I've had many times been absolutely dumbstruck on how good a gobblers hearing is,  I've gently stepped into a puddle that sounded like a drop of water and had 2 gobblers close tight in on me from 100 plus yards away ...there hearing is amazing , and during the spring some gobblers are so amped up on hormones I think they hardly sleep like hunters think they do

I've slid into areas for a better setup that required me to actually walk directly under the roost and then past the roost (no other way )to a area I know they will likely fly down near , and crocks helped me from being detected 

Walking silently .....will kill gobblers
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

wvmntnhick

Never put socks over my boots but I have taken my boots off and stalked deer with just socks on. It can be done fairly easy but it's going to suck if it doesn't pay off. Ur feet will be chilled and socks likely ruined but it's nice when it works out. Otherwise, be there plenty early and get ready. Don't need to be right under him as mentioned above. Get within 100 or so and stay put. Let him make a decision. If you know where he's headed, cut him off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk