turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slipping up close to roost in dry leaves

Started by northms, February 12, 2017, 02:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

I always go in well before daylight.  Love a cup of coffee on the ridge as the sun comes up.  I use a green led cap light to keep on the trail and turn it off before I get to my setup spot. Green doesn't mess with your night vision.  The birds and deer can see it though but not as well as a white light.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

VA_Birdhunter

Quote from: Bowguy on February 12, 2017, 04:14:04 PM
Quote from: Happy on February 12, 2017, 03:01:12 PM
Go in extra early. Turkeys have things walk under them all the time in the dark. Just don't walk in the same steady pace like most people do. A few steps at a time and a pause for a bit sounds much more natural.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk
There's your answer

Exactly what I was going to say....spot on advice!  And I'll add...to me it's a no brainer if I rooste a bird I pay very close attention to my route in the next morning as I walk in with no light on within 100 yards.  That's where getting in early...walking slow, stopping and taking ur time pays off.  God bless
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens

HFultzjr

Go early.....very early.
Get everything ready to go.
NO lights from this point on.
Allow about 1/2 hour for your eyes to adjust.......maybe sit on a chair outside truck.
Proceed to your destination slowly and without any lights.
You will be surprised at how well you can see when your eyes are fully adjusted and not using any light.
I see a very early morning in store for you!
:OGani:

Bolandstrutters

This is how every spot i hunt is for the most part.  Big Missouri ridges.  I just get in extra early and take my time.  I can usually get within 75-100 yards of where they are roosted.  Knowing which way they fly down in the key.  Which is a crap shoot for the most part. 

northms

Thanks for the advice, guys. I can't usually roost these birds on most days because it's quite a drive over and back, but I know the general area they like. I think I'll just plan one morning to get in there really slow and really early to the ridge I've seen them working on before and set up.

tha bugman

Turkeys sound like humans...humans sound like turkeys.

Greg Massey

In my early days of turkey hunting i would take a garden rack and make a path within a 40 -50 yards of the roast tree. After becoming wiser on these birds, i learn to leave the roast tree area's on the farm ALONE. I learned the turkeys will return each year and teach the younger turkeys were the best roost spot's are on the farm. We have almost 1000 ac. to hunt and it has 6 good roast spots. So you guys can do what you want, but i'm telling you stay away from those roost spots and bumping and pressuring those birds on the main roost area's you will have returning turkey's every year if you do...