OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Well, change of plans on the turkey gun...

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 11, 2017, 12:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Looks like I will not be getting a new turkey gun anytime soon, so I am on to plan B.

I am going to get the Mossy Oak vinyl gun skins and put it on my 870. I have a couple questions about it:

1.) Does any body have experience with it, and if so what are your opinions about it? To me, it looks like it may be a little shiny (maybe that is just how it looks on the computer...).

2.) Can I put it on the slide where the foregrip slides, without it causing any issues?

BowBendr

A simple search turned up a bunch of hits on it......quite a few people have used them.

Naylor649

Most of the vinyl gun kits I've seen in person are a mat finish not much shine to them at all.

Greg Massey

Save your money and buy you a extra box of shells..Turkeys don't care what your gun looks like...

SteelerFan

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 11, 2017, 01:31:06 AM
Save your money and buy you a extra box of shells..Turkeys don't care what your gun looks like...

X2

If you do use it - don't put it on the slide (magazine tube). Just don't.

wvmntnhick

Brother, for years I didn't even own a shotgun. Only suitable gun I had for turkeys was a stainless steel 22 magnum. I've got a buddy on this site that can attest to the fact that a turkey will get well within shotgun range without the worry of the color of your gun. Camo guns are nothing more than a preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spaightlabs

If you aren't waving the gun around like a racetrack finish flag it will just look like another tree branch to a turkey.

I've hunted a black SBE for the last 10 years and the gun has never cost me a bird.

Agree with the above - if it will give you more confidence, which is a key item to your success, camo away, but not on the slide - eventually it will bunch or bind.

GobbleNut

The problem with not having a camo gun is that if you meet a "real" turkey hunter in the woods and your gun is not camouflaged, he will just assume you are a goober right off the bat. ...And we all know that you do not want to be assumed to be a goober!   ;D :toothy12:

Gamblinman

They was killin turkeys long before they was camouflage.

Save the bucks and buy another box of shells or a call.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Greg Massey

:z-guntootsmiley:
Quote from: GobbleNut on February 11, 2017, 08:53:15 AM
The problem with not having a camo gun is that if you meet a "real" turkey hunter in the woods and your gun is not camouflaged, he will just assume you are a goober right off the bat. ...And we all know that you do not want to be assumed to be a goober!   ;D :toothy12:

Tail Feathers

Wrap it if you want, but as stated above, you can kill birds without a camo gun.  My first couple of years I just used some camo cloth-like HS Strut tape to wrap the barrel.  It doesn't leave any residue when you take it off.
But don't sweat it if your gun goes naked into the woods. :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Spitten and drummen

If you can. Just spend some cash and get it cerekoted or hrdro dipped. It will be much cheaper than a new gun but it will look like one.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

owlhoot

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 11, 2017, 08:53:15 AM
The problem with not having a camo gun is that if you meet a "real" turkey hunter in the woods and your gun is not camouflaged, he will just assume you are a goober right off the bat. ...And we all know that you do not want to be assumed to be a goober!   ;D :toothly12:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  or even a goober nut :morning:

Tail Feathers

Guys, if I remember correctly, DBH3 is a teenager.  Most teens don't have much money.  Cerakoting is great, but not likely in his budget at this point in his hunting life.
DHB3, like someone said, spend your limited resources on good shells and pattern the gun so you know your maximum range and go hunting. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

deerbasshunter3

No, I am not a teenager, but I am not rich, so I have to, like many on here I'm sure, manage my money. With little ones running around, student loans coming up in March, bills, mortgage, two vehicle payments, dropping $400 on a new gun is, honestly, something that I really just WANT, not need.

As far as the camo goes, it is really just more of something that I want. I figure, it is the cheapest, most durable, route to a camo gun, which again, I really just want.

I have killed three birds with a non-camo gun (two of them with my 870), but, again, really just want one.

Thank you for the input on the magazine tube.