Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Well, change of plans on the turkey gun...

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 11, 2017, 12:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Hey , there are some great instructions on here for painting your gun yourself .

Rio Fan

deerbasshunter3-
Kudos to you for making a responsible decision and putting your family's needs first. Sure, it'd be nice to have a new camouflage turkey gun, but I highly doubt it'll be the deciding factor in you killing some turkeys. Have a great spring!

Tail Feathers

My mistake DBH, no offense intended.  I must have mistaken you with someone else.  At any rate, the advice still is the same.  You've got a lot of responsibilities and taking care of them first is job one. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 11, 2017, 01:31:06 AM
Save your money and buy you a extra box of shells..Turkeys don't care what your gun looks like...

This.

If you really want camo buy a few cans of flat color spray paint and get creative.

pabossie255

Hey if he wants a camo gun and dose not have the money for new gun or dip sounds like the Mossy Oak kit will work. I had a gobbler out always and had to swing my gun the whole way around well after I did I looked out of the corner of my eye there was a hen right beside me who knows but I think if my gun was my gun was not camo she would have busted me and I would not have got the gobbler.

coyote1

Quote from: owlhoot on February 11, 2017, 12:13:30 PM
Hey , there are some great instructions on here for painting your gun yourself .

This. I painted mine last winter by following the thread on here with my own creativity added. It turned out pretty good.

deerbasshunter3

The Mossy Oak wrap has been ordered. Now, I just need to figure out if I want to order the Shurshot stock or leave it be...

catman529

Camo on your gun is definitely just preference. I camoed mine twice, but killed many birds with it just straight up black.

The main reason I finally painted mine was to keep it from rusting. Cheap black guns (no bluing) rust really easily. Haven't had that problem anymore.

First year I owned it, I tried the no-mar tape, but took it off after the season.

Two years ago I went and did a rustoleum camo job with matte clear coat and it still is in great condition now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deerbasshunter3

Looking at pictures, I have come to like the look of the black shotgun with the camo Shurshot stock and fore end. I may just keep the Mossy Oak wrap in case I am able to get another shotgun in the future.

pabossie255

To me most of the time you can get away with killing a tom with a black gun but if while turning a gun too much to turn around to get on a tom a black gun is going to stick out more than a camo moving slow if a hen appears under 20 yards sitting there walking on the hill eye level like spring to me. As I was it my treestand with a black crossbow I had two gobblers out coming my way at 80 yards I moved that crossbow slow to turn though at 75 they turned fast and bolted the other way and they had been moving my way. Now I have been on many gobblers with my camo crossbow but it was in the fall then with a bow the day it came in for archery the birds I was seeing under 20 they dissapred so I picked up my 11-87 and finished the fall season with it.

Gut Pile

Don't do what I did / take your time / be patient / although this thought grates against all that makes us men, READ THE DIRECTIONS- I rushed through putting that on my daughters bantam 870 and it looks a lot like the effort I put into it....

Good luck and have a great season
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Gut Pile on February 12, 2017, 10:16:44 AM
Don't do what I did / take your time / be patient / although this thought grates against all that makes us men, READ THE DIRECTIONS- I rushed through putting that on my daughters bantam 870 and it looks a lot like the effort I put into it....

Good luck and have a great season

In the videos, it does not seem to take them long to put on each piece (especially the stock and fore end). I can see how the barrel would take a while, but the other pieces seem pretty straight forward. 

catman529

Quote from: pabossie255 on February 12, 2017, 02:37:05 AM
To me most of the time you can get away with killing a tom with a black gun but if while turning a gun too much to turn around to get on a tom a black gun is going to stick out more than a camo moving slow if a hen appears under 20 yards sitting there walking on the hill eye level like spring to me. As I was it my treestand with a black crossbow I had two gobblers out coming my way at 80 yards I moved that crossbow slow to turn though at 75 they turned fast and bolted the other way and they had been moving my way. Now I have been on many gobblers with my camo crossbow but it was in the fall then with a bow the day it came in for archery the birds I was seeing under 20 they dissapred so I picked up my 11-87 and finished the fall season with it.
I think turkeys will pick out your movement regardless of the color of the gun. Being still is your friend. And if you're in a treestand they are just a lot better at seeing you, they always seem to have one eye in the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk