OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WARNING: Hunt smart, Hunt SAFE!

Started by SteelerFan, February 09, 2017, 10:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

The number of hunting related shooting incidents across the country inevitably involve turkey hunters. On a per hunter basis, it ranks at the top in most States for number of incidents.

http://news.psu.edu/story/211397/2005/03/10/report-turkey-hunting-most-dangerous-deer-hunting-most-deadly

Read through some of the first-hand stories here: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,55169.0.html

Don't get so caught up in the moment that you allow your brain to see things that are not real. Every year, a shooter claims with certainty that he or she saw a turkey when they pulled the trigger - when in reality, what they saw is what they WANTED to see.

Most all States require a legal bird to have a beard - make sure you see one. Don't "stalk" a turkey that you hear - it's not going to work anyway, and bad things sometimes happen from both ends of that equation.

Follow basic rules:

- Select a calling position where you can see for at least 50 yards in all directions and where you are protected from the    backside.
- Whistle or shout to alert approaching hunters of your position. Never wave or stand up.
- Never sneak in on a turkey or use a gobbler call near other hunters. Never crowd another hunter working a bird.
- Never shoot at sound or movement.
- Be aware of turkey "fever" and its prevention. Disregard peer pressure to bag a bird.
- Be extremely careful using turkey decoys.
- Do not wear red, white, or blue outer wear or exposed inner clothing.
- Make sure your headnet doesn't obscure your vision.
- Don't assume you are the only hunter in the area. Be certain of a companion's location.

I could write pages on this topic, but this is just a reminder to new and veteran turkey hunters alike - POSITIVELY identify your target and what is beyond before you make that conscious decision to pull the trigger. Type the phrase "Turkey hunter shot" in your favorite search engine, and read some of the results.

Good luck to all - have a safe and happy season!

Greg Massey

HFultzjr

Great reminder.
It's easy to get caught up in the excitement.
That gobble could be coming from another hunter.
:newmascot:

trkehunr93

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

owlhoot

The Cohutta Strutter

Important topic Steeler Fan, should be required reading for everyone and every year before we hit the woods. I had a near mishap that occurred during my "first" year of turkey hunting in 86'. I've never shared it on a public forum due to me feeling shameful for allowing myself to have come very close to shooting another hunter.  But I do believe this mishap has some merit under this particular topic. A buddy and I decided we would go turkey hunting one morning. We arrived at our location and made a hike down the mountain to where a gobbler was roosted. We made our way to the base of a large ridge where a gobbler was roosted on top. Still plenty dark and with the sky just beginning to lighten we made our plans. We were standing in line with the gobbler and my plan was to go straight up the ridge as far as I could without spooking him and sit down. My buddy's plan was to move left making his way along the base of the ridge and then pull up the ridge to get on top and sit down. We decided to give this plan an hour and then meet on top of the ridge near where the gobbler had roosted. We separated and I went halfway up the ridge and sat down next to a large tree. It was an awkward position to be setting in as I was facing down hill with the gobbler to my backside. He was gobbling occasionally and I twisted around so I could see in the direction of the gobbles. During this time I made a few light calls. When it got light enough I could make out the gobbler in the tree and watched him pitch down on top of the ridge to my right. Keep in mind he pitched down in the opposite direction of where my buddy was located. With the gobbler on the ground I turned back around facing downhill and made a few more light calls. After seeing what had taken place and knowing where my buddy was located and the position I was in I really had no high hopes that either  one of us would take that gobbler. Approximately ten minutes or so passed and then I heard it- walking in the leaves. Crunch...crunch...crunch...stop... crunch...crunch...stop. Something was moving slowly towards me and stopping occasionally as if it were looking for something. Could it be the gobbler as he had just enough time to make it to me? I had not heard a gobble since he had hit the ground. Closer it came and I could not see anything in the direction of the walking due to the tree I was sitting next to. I determined the walking was coming from slightly below me and to my left. When I cut my eyes far left the furthest I could see was another large tree around 20 yards below me. I eased the safety off and slowly raised my gun and put the bead in the center of that tree about turkey head high. I had taken my first turkey earlier this season and now "in my mind" I was fixin to put down a second one. Just a few more steps now...and then it appeared. I was literally in the process of shifting the bead over for the shot when it dawned on me as to exactly what I was looking at. I was looking at a camoflauged pant leg from the knee down. It felt like my heart exploded. I stood up and very loudly said hey and then my buddy stepped on out from behind that tree. He had stopped walking at that particular moment which allowed his lead leg to be in that position due to the steepness of the ridge. I immediately informed him of just how close I came to shooting him. I asked him what about our plan to give it an hour and then meet back on top of the ridge? He had no good answer. During the time we were apart, no more than 35 to 40 minutes, he had circled the ridge and approached me in the exact opposite direction from where he left me. Regardless of all that, who's fault would it have been had I pulled the trigger? It would have been mine AND the life long burden for doing so would be mine to carry. Goes back to always identify your target and what's behind it before you shoot and luckily I did as I still cringe when I think about what that turkey load would have done to his leg and then the nightmare that would have followed as we had a climb to get back out. If you choose to hunt with someone else and during the hunt y'all choose to separate, then do exactly what you tell the other person your going to do. I think it's worth mentioning again no matter how deep or isolated you think you are wether it's on public or private ground there is always the chance of another person walking up on you.  Be on guard for that and don't let you mind deceive your eyes from what their showing you.
Anybody seen America lately?

SteelerFan

Thanks for sharing Strutter! The more real life scenarios folks can read, helps drive it home!

Marc

Thank you for sharing Strutter.

My father was shot while quail hunting, and it was completely the other persons fault.  We both kept telling him not to get ahead of us, and the excitement of large covies and lots of birds was too much.  He got too far ahead of us, and then shot a bird that flew behind him...  My father's glasses saved his eyes, and the fact that he was pulling up to shoot (another bird) going past him prevented a lot more pellets from hitting his head and face... 

In the end, he had a ruined pair pair of glasses, 8 pellets in his hand.  A couple hit his forehead (knocking him off his feet and unconscious), with pellets also in his forearm and shoulder...  Most of those pellets are still in him (with the ones in his hand being the most painful).

Also the mind plays tricks on us when we are hunting...  I believe that sometimes we turn things into what we want them to be...

I was hunting with an experienced hunter, but beginning turkey hunter.  Honestly generally over-cautious when it came to taking the shot (no matter what we were hunting).  We had a bird roosted, and he was double gobbling at us in the roost, and he flew down, and was obviously coming towards us  (although we could not see him)...

However, a deer got curious and starter making her way towards us, and I could see her bobbing head above the foliage.  It was then I heard the "click" of my friends safety, as he was preparing to shoot that deer.  I motioned for him to NOT shoot, and then noticed the shock on his own face as he realized what his target was.

He related to me later that what he saw was a turkey and not a deer...  His brain turned that deer into what he wanted it to be...  It was quite an upsetting situation for him.

I have had the same situation occur on a much smaller scale, as far as turning a duck species into what I wanted it to be...  But was no less surprised when my dog brought back the "wrong" duck...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

HFultzjr

Binoculars are a great thing to have.
You can identify an unknown "target", without pointing a loaded gun at it.

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: HFultzjr on February 24, 2017, 08:47:38 AM
Not trying to come off as being sarcastic but unless I would have had a pair of binoculars that would have allowed me to see through the tree I was setting next to and the tree I was holding on below me they would have been no benefit whatsoever in that situation. It was a bad set up altogether on my part due to the lack of visability and I certainly had no business of pointing a gun at anything because of that. I was hoping to illustrate that it is quite possible for a series of events to take place during the course of a hunt with some of the events known to the hunter and other things not known which can line up to create a prime opportunity for a shooting incident. Something else for us to ponder... how many of us will deliberately make a set up with a 40 yard visibility range, 30 yards and even 20 yard visibility range? At those distances it's very possible if not likely your going to HEAR something approaching before you can visually identify it. Yes, prime tactic for luring a gobbler into range but on the flip side of that a prime opportunity for a shooting incident.
Anybody seen America lately?

Marc

Quote from: HFultzjr on February 24, 2017, 08:47:38 AM
I have to agree with Cohutta Strutter.

I do not see many turkey hunters putting the binocular's on a bird that is in range for a shotgun.

I have looked at a lot of turkeys at a distance through binoculars, but have never had the opportunity to  inspect a bird I was about to pull the trigger on.

It is the assumptions that get us into trouble. Knowing that a bird went into the foliage, and expecting that whatever is coming out is that same bird, or hearing a bird gobble close by in thick vegetation,  and making assumptions on movement seen in that thick vegetation.

When shooting a turkey at close range visual identification and confirmation is of vital importance, to both safety and ethics as far as shooting the correct gender.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Kylongspur88

If not already said... I was taught that if setting up next to a tree use a tree that is either as wide or wider than your shoulders. That way if someone came in from behind they couldn't shoot you in the back.

On that note.. I personally know of 2 turkey hunters shot through the the back where I live. One guy who shot a hunter was a guy I went to school with that accidently shot his dad thought brush hitting him in the back and killed him.