OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Reminder: Hunt SAFE! (Turkey Hunter shot in Maryland)

Started by SteelerFan, April 20, 2015, 08:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelerFan

Evidently, 70 year old PA hunter walked into a setup of other hunters that were calling, and got shot - TWICE!

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2015/04/20/nrp-investigating-hunting-accident-in-allegany-county-pa-man-wounded/

NRP Investigating Hunting Accident in Allegany County; Pa. Man Wounded

April 20, 2015

A Pennsylvania man was injured Monday morning in a turkey hunting accident at Green Ridge State Forest in Allegany County, the Maryland Natural Resources Police reported.

Robert Lee Verbeck, 70, of Philipsburg, is being treated for pellet wounds to his face and shoulder at Western Maryland Regional Medical Center in Cumberland after he was shot by a 16-year-old who was hunting with his father and a friend.

The three hunters, from North East, set up their decoys not far from the intersection of Orleans Road and Dug Hill Road. Verbeck, who holds a valid Maryland hunting license, entered the area unbeknownst to the three hunters. Two shots were fired.

NRP received the call for assistance at 7:30 a.m. The investigation is continuing.

Maryland spring turkey season runs from April 18 through May 23. Only bearded turkeys may be harvested in the spring season. Hunters may use shotguns ? loaded with No. 4 shot or smaller ? crossbows or vertical bows. Hunting is allowed from one-half hour before sunrise to noon through May 9, and from one-half hour before sunrise to sunset from May 10 through May 23.

The NRP Hunter Safety staff and the National Wild Turkey Federation offer these reminders:

Be sure of your target and what is beyond it before you pull the trigger. Know the identifying features of the game you hunt.
Leave the area if you suspect there's another hunter already working the same bird.
Resist the urge to stalk turkey sounds. It is nearly impossible to sneak up on a turkey and it could lead to an accident.
Never wear bright colors, especially not red, white, blue or black because these are the colors of a wild turkey gobbler.
Remain still and speak in a loud, clear voice to announce your presence to other hunters if necessary. Never move, wave or make turkey sounds to alert another hunter of your presence.
Maintain a clear field of view when using a camouflage blind or netting.

Dtrkyman

Is orange required in Pa? I thought it was. I typically wear orange while on the move on public ground and when carrying a bird out!

Ihuntoldschool

Orange is required in PA but the hunting accident was in Maryland Not PA.  Unless things have changed since I hunted Maryland, orange is not required there.  A hunter doesn't look anything like a turkey; it is really sad that some hunters fail to identify there target and blast away at some movement in the bushes.

Dtrkyman

taylorjones20

Stuff like this absolutely amazes me... How can people be so stupid?  smh Hopefully the guy will be alright!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 20, 2015, 09:41:45 PM
Orange is required in PA but the hunting accident was in Maryland Not PA.  Unless things have changed since I hunted Maryland, orange is not required there.  A hunter doesn't look anything like a turkey; it is really sad that some hunters fail to identify there target and blast away at some movement in the bushes.

Agreed, there is no excuse to not know what you are shooting. It amazes me how people can mistake a person for a deer or, especially, a turkey.

eggshell

I too always wondered, "how can this happen". Psychologist will tell you the human mind can and will see what a person wants to see. Is this an excuse, no, it's a warning to maintain mental discipline at all times. work at being in control, talk yourself into looking around and thinking through the hunt and shot. Do not make sudden reactive shots! Once a mistake is made both the shooter and victim are injured, no one walks away unscathed! NO turkey is worth injuring or killing a fellow hunter.

This topic is an especially sensitive topic to me. You see I was shot in a turkey hunting accident in 2009 and nearly died. I am almost in tears as I write this as it evokes so many emotions. It is hard for the shooter to live with too. However, it is good to share and keep safety in people's minds. Don't say things like, how stupid can someone be, that in a way is setting in your mind, "this can't happen to me". I bet most shooters and victims felt the same. Say I will avoid all risky behaviors ans situations at all cost. Say, "it could happen to me, but I will be aware and remove myself from harms way whenever I can". This will mean losing an opportunity at a turkey some times, but take my word for it, it's better than fighting for your life and a year or two of recovery or leaving behind your family. Tell your spouses and kids you love them before you leave every day. There is no feeling as sad as sitting alone on a forest floor dieing and thinking "I'll never get to hug my wife again, I'll never walk my daughters down the isle, I'll never know my grand kids"!

2eagles

We have had a turkey hunter shot in Iowa this season too. Last I knew, his condition was unavailable.

cutt down

In 1990 a friend of mine & I were walking out of the woods after working a bird. Bird was on a string then all of a sudden it disappeared. We nicknamed the bird "Houdini" & after a while we decided to walk out. We were walking & talking in a normal voice when all of a sudden "BOOM" & we both went down. My friend was hit worse than me as several pellets broke the skin & he was bleeding around his chest/neck. I was hit more in the torso/legs. It burns! I yelled at the guy & he gets up & runs over to us. As I was drawing back to punch his lights out, 2 things went through my mind 1) as mad as I am I'll kill him & 2) he was crying. Figured punching him wouldn't do anymore than seeing a grown man cry. We were lucky that day that we didn't get any pellets in the eyes or even worse killed. It's a scary feeling. While your laying there for a moment you don't know what to feel. You run the whole of gamut of emotions in a few short seconds. I sure hope the gentleman in Maryland is alright. I'm sure the kid that shot him feels terrible! The parent with them should've been more in control but I really don't know the situation. Hope it all ends well for all involved.

Spitten and drummen

my honest opinion is I know things happen but if someone shoots someone while hunting , then that person should never be allowed to legally hunt again
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

deerbasshunter3

I realize that accidents happen, but there is no excuse for not taking the time to IDENTIFY your target before shooting. That is why they emphasize it so much in hunter's safety courses. I hope all involved are doing well. 

zelmo1

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an Scary thing. I got 3 pellets in the face while pheasant hunting on public land years ago. It hurt but could have been worse. I still have never seen a 6'3" 260 pound pheasant with an orange vest on. Be safe everyone

2eagles

When my son was much younger, I was peppered by a careless pheasant hunter. I went to him yelling words my son had never heard me say before. Don't think he's heard them from me since. I think it gave my son a real life lesson in knowing where you're shooting.

darn2ten

turkaholic

BEARDED BIRD , how does this happen?  I will have to have good self control not to shoot back!
live to hunt hunt to live