turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Doubles!!

Started by MK M GOBL, February 08, 2017, 07:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

So I have started doing seminars again for the year this past weekend and will conducting them until the last weekend in March, on a "Learn to Hunt" come April 1st :)

So during part of one of the 2 seminars I was talking about Doubles on birds and how to score on these opportunities. After the seminar 2 guys came up to talk to me about a hunt they had last spring and how they "doubled" on toms. I was listening to the story and the guys connected on 2 birds a half hour apart, the second bird had been gobbling while they were working this first bird and killed after the first guys bird was down.

This didn't really go along with the topic within the seminar, but always like a good story.

So what do you consider a Double?

For me it is taking 2 toms/birds at the same time, may not be an exact 1..2..3 but as long as the birds are taken basically at the same time.

We have had a number of doubles over the years, whether it be with a buddy or as a solo.

This spot has produced many doubles in the past 8 years!!

MK M GOBL

tha bugman

I've killed a few doubles (two in one shot or bang bang). 

Bowguy

I'd say a true double happens either at the same time or within seconds. Killing birds a half hour apart in dif sets or not I'd say is just killing birds the same day

guesswho

Same time.  By choice the last time I doubled was in 2002.   It resulted in 82" of beard between the two turkeys.  56" and 26". 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

renegade19

Double = 1, 2, 3, Bang

Greg Massey

One a day in my state...doubles not legal ...

1iagobblergetter

I'd say same setup,one shot 2 birds, boom boom 2 birds down,or even shoot one he was with a buddy and you call the other one back within seconds or a minute or so and get him. I would call what happened to them both tagging out the same day. Imo...

Gamblinman

I call a double 2 birds with one shot.   :drool:
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 08, 2017, 09:27:43 PM

Have done that as a solo!! Had 3 toms come in and only one left :)

These birds were tanks!! and in the same spot as the other double I posted.

A few details on these longbeards :) Bird on the left #1 weighed in at 28lbs 4oz / 1 1/8" spurs / 11 3/4" beard and #2 was 26lbs 2oz / 1 1/8" spur (the other was busted up) / 10 5/8" beard. YUP!!!

MK M GOBL

KentuckyHeadhunter

If you go to a bar and order a double you get two shots in one glass.  Doesn't matter how long it takes to drink it. I think a double is two simultaneous birds requiring more than one shot. I think they have another term for two birds with one shot. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: MK M GOBL on February 08, 2017, 09:46:21 PM

Have done that as a solo!! Had 3 toms come in and only one left :)

These birds were tanks!! and in the same spot as the other double I posted.

A few details on these longbeards :) Bird on the left #1 weighed in at 28lbs 4oz / 1 1/8" spurs / 11 3/4" beard and #2 was 26lbs 2oz / 1 1/8" spur (the other was busted up) / 10 5/8" beard. YUP!!!

MK M GOBL

Wow!!!!!!!!! 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

M Sharpe

Yep...done that 3 times in my hunting career!

Went bang, bang 3 times as well, but I don't consider that a double.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

catman529

A double to me is 2 birds in the same hunt but the best kind is 2 at once. I've only done it once and was during the fall. I filmed him shoot one and then dropped the camera and I shot one. Was my first fall longbeard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: catman529 on February 08, 2017, 10:14:12 PM
A double to me is 2 birds in the same hunt but the best kind is 2 at once. I've only done it once and was during the fall. I filmed him shoot one and then dropped the camera and I shot one. Was my first fall longbeard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you saying you killed 2 birds in one day? In Tennessee...

turkaholic

Doubled with my brother. Both of us shot at exactly the same time. Each got a rope and we never knew the other even shot until we each got up and ran to flopping bird. Wild!
live to hunt hunt to live