OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Doubles!!

Started by MK M GOBL, February 08, 2017, 07:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

I killed two with one shot (by accident) back in the early 1990s.  Was drawn down on one gobbler with my single shot and another ran up behind him when I dropped the hammer. Both went down like bowling pins.  I tagged one and the land owner tagged the other, which I gave him, as the second bird would have put me over the limit.

I've had many chances when a second bird came in after I killed one, but we're restricted to one gobbler per day here in N.C..

Four years ago I killed a gobbler on opening day, then got on the radio and called my best friend (who was hunting across the field at the same farm) to come over to my area in hopes another gobbler might be in the area.  About 45 minutes later, I called in two birds and my best friend killed his first double bearded gobbler, while the other one got to walk.  My best friend had hunted that farm for decades and never killed a single bird from that side of the property until that morning. Great memories.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

kjnengr

I consider a double to be 2 birds simultaneously or within a min of each other.  I have never been able to kill two birds at one time, but I have done a 1,2,3.... bang with a buddy.  Between that occurrence and the hunt leading up to the kill it was definitely a memorable one.   

THattaway

Double for me I guess is two with one shot, two before the smoke clears from the first shot or simply two from the same spot in a very short span of time. I have been very prone to shooting doubles when given the chance but have rethought it a bit since SC went to 3 tags last season. Guess I have been greedy and my foot has slipped a few times over the years. It's also lead me to think "why did I do that?" for a few seconds maybe while toting out 40ish lbs. of turkeys on a 2 mile hike back to the truck a few times. We've all laid down to rest at times on those long walks out.

Only double I've managed with one shot was a good many years back. Talk about walking in high cotton.

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

1iagobblergetter

That is a tall cotton memory!! Nice pictures!!

Captain Hooks

A double only counts when there is a count down and two birds drop at the end of it .  I have a couple buddies that can't count to three.

cuppednlocked

2 birds with 1 shot is a "Scotch Double".

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Rio Fan

A few years ago, my buddy and I had a crazy double. We did the 1,2,3, BOOM and we both missed. The 4 toms jumped up to fly away and we both knocked birds out of the air on our second shots. Doubt I'll ever have another double like that again!

BottomLand54

A double is when the old man that got me hooked on turkey hunting called 2 birds in and let me shoot and boom he shot as well and we killed 2 at the same time. It was an amazing first time turkey kill for me that I will never forget. Praise God for it!

Dr Juice

Quote from: cuppednlocked on February 13, 2017, 02:12:39 PM
2 birds with 1 shot is a "Scotch Double".
Thumbs up for this term.