turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lonzo recommendations

Started by OldSwamper, February 03, 2017, 07:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSwamper

I am interested in one of Lonzo's stoned aluminum/aluminum calls.  I understand that his acrylic is pretty incredible, but I prefer a wood call solely based on appearance.  For those who have some experience with his alum/alum calls, I am looking some feedback on what woods you recommend or have seen.  thanks.

I plan to also email Lonzo to see what he recommends, but checking all my resources. thanks

BABS9

I just got a cocobolo anodized alum/alum and it's amazing. Shoot me a pm if you'd like a sound file

hunter22

I have a black acrylic and Padauk stoned aluminum/aluminum and my favorite of those is the Padauk. I also have a black acrylic and Cocobolo anodized aluminum from Lon and my favorite of those two is the black acrylic. That one may be my favorite of the four. Call Lon and he will fix you up.   

MG150

Picked up a Stoned aluminum in Goncalo Alvez at Unicoi.Great lookin and sounding call

outdoors

I HAVE A CLEAR acrylic @ A OASGE , OSAGE SOUNDS GOOD BUT TO ME THE ACRYLIC SOUND ALOT BETTER  ...........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

OldSwamper

thanks for responses gentlemen, and keep'em coming.  as far as aluminum, I currently have a Schaffer atomic 13, Schaffer curly maple anodized aluminum/aluminum, and a Lyman bocote bead blasted (half of it is sanded) aluminum over glass, which screams to the point of almost hurting my ears.

the atomic 13 and curly maple Schaffer calls are so close in sound, i'm not sure I could tell the difference, but I can attest they sound good.  Had a bird cut me off with the atomic 13 last spring, unfortunately for him, he died at the hands of my dad's gun about 2 minutes later (good times).

gergg

I got one in a Cocobolo pot and it is awesome.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

hunter22

Don't forget Darrin Dawkins makes a stoned aluminum also. I have one in a walnut and one in a plastic pot. I have over 30 aluminum pot calls and Darrin's stoned aluminum will be in my vest opening morning this spring. 

rbreedi1

I ordered one a couple weeks ago and when talking to Lon, he said he liked the exotics and named Goncalo alves, Padauk, East Indian Rosewood. I chose Padauk. Hope to get it in a few weeks!
Thunder Ridge Totes

MikeStaten

I've got 3 of his aluminum over aluminum- acrylic anodized, goncalo anodized and agate stoned.  The goncalo Alves is what you may be looking for.  The wood has amazing character and sounds very close to the acrylic. PM me your email or cell if you want some pics.

yelpy

Do yourself a favor and call Lon . I ordered through email and he told me I believe it was 3 weeks out and I haven't heard back from him. Its been a good couple of months. I wanted a yellowheart but now that he hasn't got back to me I figured my order isn't that important.

gergg

Quote from: rbreedi1 on February 03, 2017, 07:46:31 PM
I ordered one a couple weeks ago and when talking to Lon, he said he liked the exotics and named Goncalo alves, Padauk, East Indian Rosewood. I chose Padauk. Hope to get it in a few weeks!
That is interesting to me as those woods are very similar relative to density/hardness(medium density) Whereas the Cocobolo and Pink Ivory mentioned as favorites here are on the top end of the Janka density/hardness scale. When building acoustic guitars these density variances definitely make a difference in tone/volume. I have noticed that some makers pot combinations sound better with lower density woods whereas some sound better with denser woods.
1878    Yellowheart
1970    Padauk
2160    Goncalo Alves
2440    E. Indian Rosewood
2960    Cocobolo
3230    Pink Ivory

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

gergg

Quote from: MDTOM84 on February 03, 2017, 08:48:06 PM
Gergg I think the reason why is you will get 2 totally different hens. My Pink ivory sounds totally different than my yellowheart. The harder wood is more raspy, softer wood more mellow
Yeah, I get that.....sorry, I was just thinking it was interesting that Lon was suggesting a certain group of woods that was in a different density/tonal range than those we mentioned here as favorites.....just goes to show everyone has a different perspective on what is best......there is no best, just different....lol

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

BABS9

Definitely interesting!! A call reguardless of the hardness of the wood can be made to be more or less raspy based off certain internals within the pot, soundboard etc.. I would think the hardness would have more of an effect on the pitch and tone of the pot and front end.

Bowguy

Got one in Orange Agate. Gotta be honest I was expecting it to be like Dawkins. Got his in the plastic pot. It sounds quite a bit dif to me. The Dawkins "pierces" the woods.
The Lonzo doesn't ring out like that but the rollover is awesome n I'll be honest it's right up there w my fav aluminums after I'd run it a bit.
Call is freakin awesome!