turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trail cameras on public land...

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 02, 2017, 10:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Is there any point in putting a trail camera on public land, or is it likely to go missing?

houagie

You take a chance with leaving anything on public land.  With that being said its still do able just make sure you have a lock box.

Happy

I have seen some on public land but dont know if the owners had issues or not. I have also heard of some disappearing on public land. I would make sure it was locked and hidden as well as possible. To many people roaming around with sticky fingers.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

backwater

Been putting them on public land for years, we only hunt public land.   No problems yet but we know the risks.   We try to hide them the best we can.   

Twowithone

I lock the door of the camera so they cant get sd card. Then I use a Python cable around box.. Its security with me. Thieves cant use the cameras anymore if you use the security code option period your not getting in. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Bowguy

In my state which may have more dishonest people than where the rest live even on private land tree stands, cameras, etc go missing.
Pet peeves of mine are cameras n bait. Takes the hunt out of hunting imo. The sport out of sport hunting. That's just me n no offense to anyone who sees things differently.
I enjoy listening to birds early morn gobbling before the season, watching deer through binos from afar preseason to learn habits.
Not even being there would take too much of the hunt out for me.
Saw a post the other day anti decoy. Prob the same sentiment but I guess we all pick/choose things we agree with.
I'm just not into technology hunting for me

MK M GOBL

So I have never used trail cameras for turkey hunting on public lands, just doesn't seem to be a need for me scouting. My scouting involves more audio (listening) and visual (binos and truck and walking) once I get those down that's where my game plan is made from. With turkeys being such a vocal animal (that you can hear from a distance) other than let's say a whitetail, you can use that as one of your biggest scouting aids, next is I need to learn the lay of the land, have done this by walking it and using some maps on-line. Now I have used Game Cameras on public for both deer & bear and as of yet no problems (knocking on wood) I do take some precautions, I have a metal security box and a python cable lock, can't say it would stop someone but it is a definite deterrent.

MK M GOBL

silvestris

Quote from: Bowguy on February 03, 2017, 08:07:09 AM
In my state which may have more dishonest people than where the rest live even on private land tree stands, cameras, etc go missing.
Pet peeves of mine are cameras n bait. Takes the hunt out of hunting imo. The sport out of sport hunting. That's just me n no offense to anyone who sees things differently.
I enjoy listening to birds early morn gobbling before the season, watching deer through binos from afar preseason to learn habits.
Not even being there would take too much of the hunt out for me.
Saw a post the other day anti decoy. Prob the same sentiment but I guess we all pick/choose things we agree with.
I'm just not into technology hunting for me

I am with you, Bowguy but I may go a little farther.  I place cameras in the same category as enclosed blinds and decoys.  All, in my voice in the wilderness opinion, take the "sport" out of the word sportsman.  Can't sit still, get an enclosed blind; can't call well enough, get a spread of decoys and sit on the edge of a field; won't take the time to learn the life habits of a bird, take a time-stamped photograph.

Not trying to change anyone; it is apparently imbedded in the DNA.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

catman529

I don't own or run many trail cameras at all, but the one I had stolen was on public land, and I don't think it was from a public land hunter anyway. While hunting that spot I had a guy wearing orange driving a golf cart creep by the edge of their private field while I was sitting in public woods. Because of all the huge rubs I left a trail camera there, and went back a few weeks later and was gone.. I still suspect golf cart guy took it.

I have left trail cams in other places on public land with no issues. Usually I put them in hard to find areas anyway.

Happy

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

FL-Boss

Yep, it can greatly depend on the hunter that's for sure.  For me personally - hunting turkeys over bait (legal or not) isn't any sport at all.  I feel the same way about using 10 & 12GA shotguns for experienced hunters. With the advancement of chokes and ammo I think it takes out a lot of sport when you fire a cannon shooting 2.5oz of hevi shot.  I'm sure some of you bow hunters feel the same way about using guns in general... and that's perfectly ok.

With the advancement of technology (decoys, calls, guns, loads, gadgets, etc) where does it end? How much of of this new tech should hunters take advantage of before there is no sport left in hunting? That's a debate that can go on forever.....
I do feel as hunters get more experienced .. the less tech they want to use. They tend to move more towards "back to basics" and opt for more challenge.

dirt road ninja

wmn2

I have been using them for deer on public for 2.5 years. I've had one stolen. I've started to hang them high in the trees angled down. I will use a climbing stick or two to get high enough so someone has to work to get to it. Most thieves are lazy (which is why they steal) so they have to really want it to get to mine. The one I had stolen was before I used this tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilbucksndux

The places that I hunt a camera would not help be at all. I used to have a fw I used for deer hunting till a flood took them out. I had a couple stolen from public land thats why i only had some cheap ones. I used to carry a card reader with me to check my cams but yea Id look at pics other people had got too. I had a pic of a giant 6x6 elk on the reader that I would put on every card I ever checked just to get a giggle from it .

Gary Bartlow

catman529

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 03, 2017, 01:26:10 PM
Yep, it can greatly depend on the hunter that's for sure.  For me personally - hunting turkeys over bait (legal or not) isn't any sport at all.  I feel the same way about using 10 & 12GA shotguns for experienced hunters. With the advancement of chokes and ammo I think it takes out a lot of sport when you fire a cannon shooting 2.5oz of hevi shot.  I'm sure some of you bow hunters feel the same way about using guns in general... and that's perfectly ok.

With the advancement of technology (decoys, calls, guns, loads, gadgets, etc) where does it end? How much of of this new tech should hunters take advantage of before there is no sport left in hunting? That's a debate that can go on forever.....
I do feel as hunters get more experienced .. the less tech they want to use. They tend to move more towards "back to basics" and opt for more challenge.
Trail cameras don't help you kill turkeys, they just tell you what's there. Me personally I've never felt the need to use a trail cam for turkeys, only one or two at salt licks to see what kind of deer use the property.

I love bowhunting deer but also love blowing a hole in their side with a rifle too. Nothing wrong with a 12 gauge, 10 gauge, .308, whatever. A more effective weapon is actually better, so you have less chance at wounding an animal.