turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trail cameras on public land...

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 02, 2017, 10:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

The point is most of us define what is considered "less sport" very differently.  Hunting from a blind, some have an issue with this, some don't.  Or using decoys, trail cams, bait, big guns, etc..

Some guys shoot turkeys at 120 yards with a rifle.  Some shoot deer at 1,000 yards with a hopped up long range 300 win mag.   Right or wrong.. everyone has a different opinion. 

bornagain64

I have been using them on public land for awhile. I try to put them out when less people are in the woods and as far away from roads and trails as possible. Also buy the cheapest cameras that take good pics. That way if they get stolen you are not out that much $.
Cameras are the best way to scout. If the cameras are in an area with a lot of people, I will check them every week.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: catman529 on February 03, 2017, 04:18:08 PM
Quote from: FL-Boss on February 03, 2017, 01:26:10 PM
Yep, it can greatly depend on the hunter that's for sure.  For me personally - hunting turkeys over bait (legal or not) isn't any sport at all.  I feel the same way about using 10 & 12GA shotguns for experienced hunters. With the advancement of chokes and ammo I think it takes out a lot of sport when you fire a cannon shooting 2.5oz of hevi shot.  I'm sure some of you bow hunters feel the same way about using guns in general... and that's perfectly ok.

With the advancement of technology (decoys, calls, guns, loads, gadgets, etc) where does it end? How much of of this new tech should hunters take advantage of before there is no sport left in hunting? That's a debate that can go on forever.....
I do feel as hunters get more experienced .. the less tech they want to use. They tend to move more towards "back to basics" and opt for more challenge.
Trail cameras don't help you kill turkeys, they just tell you what's there. Me personally I've never felt the need to use a trail cam for turkeys, only one or two at salt licks to see what kind of deer use the property.

I love bowhunting deer but also love blowing a hole in their side with a rifle too. Nothing wrong with a 12 gauge, 10 gauge, .308, whatever. A more effective weapon is actually better, so you have less chance at wounding an animal.

In certain situations trail cameras will help you kill a turkey. Plotwatchers are the best camera for this tactic however. Set the camera on the opposite field edge (if the field is relatively small) or if the field is larger set it in the middle of the field facing back toward the sign. In order to set it in the middle of the field there will need to be a tree or power line or similar to place it. The object with this tact is to know where the turkeys travel routes are and the areas that they want to be. It also gives you some intel on your competition.

catman529

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on February 04, 2017, 01:41:31 PM
Quote from: catman529 on February 03, 2017, 04:18:08 PM
Quote from: FL-Boss on February 03, 2017, 01:26:10 PM
Yep, it can greatly depend on the hunter that's for sure.  For me personally - hunting turkeys over bait (legal or not) isn't any sport at all.  I feel the same way about using 10 & 12GA shotguns for experienced hunters. With the advancement of chokes and ammo I think it takes out a lot of sport when you fire a cannon shooting 2.5oz of hevi shot.  I'm sure some of you bow hunters feel the same way about using guns in general... and that's perfectly ok.

With the advancement of technology (decoys, calls, guns, loads, gadgets, etc) where does it end? How much of of this new tech should hunters take advantage of before there is no sport left in hunting? That's a debate that can go on forever.....
I do feel as hunters get more experienced .. the less tech they want to use. They tend to move more towards "back to basics" and opt for more challenge.
Trail cameras don't help you kill turkeys, they just tell you what's there. Me personally I've never felt the need to use a trail cam for turkeys, only one or two at salt licks to see what kind of deer use the property.

I love bowhunting deer but also love blowing a hole in their side with a rifle too. Nothing wrong with a 12 gauge, 10 gauge, .308, whatever. A more effective weapon is actually better, so you have less chance at wounding an animal.

In certain situations trail cameras will help you kill a turkey. Plotwatchers are the best camera for this tactic however. Set the camera on the opposite field edge (if the field is relatively small) or if the field is larger set it in the middle of the field facing back toward the sign. In order to set it in the middle of the field there will need to be a tree or power line or similar to place it. The object with this tact is to know where the turkeys travel routes are and the areas that they want to be. It also gives you some intel on your competition.
that sounds like more effort than just going and hunting the birds. I'd find a hot gobbler to call in before I ever came up with a pattern from plotwatcher pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMBOSTC

It works, i killed a double beard first sit. I had to call him in from a couple of hundred yards away.  By being in a location that they like to use on a daily basis makes it easier to pull them to you.  The only way you will know this information is by a tactic similar to mine.