turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good snake boots?

Started by jim570, January 22, 2017, 11:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim570

Will be going to Florida for an Osceola in March.  Can anyone recommend a good brand of waterproof snake boots?

beakbuster10

Stay away from the Danner jackals. They leaked almost immediately. Never heard a bad thing about the danner pronghorn snakeboots though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I got some Irish Setter Vapor Trek 8" boots last year and like them a lot after a full season.  I picked up the snake boots in the store and they are absolutely the lightest snake boots I've ever seen, and I've owned a couple of brands and handled many others in the store.
Give them a look, you'll be impressed.  And the Irish Setters run a bit small, the salesman steered me to a full size bigger than I usually wear and they are a great fit for me.  I'd recommend trying them on somewhere rather that just ordering from somewhere if at all possible.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Snuffer

Not sure about most guys that wear snake boots, or chaps... but I walk too much to wear such irritants. I have yet to find any that I could stand to walk 5 miles in, much less 15.

And then, you have the issue of a large snake being very capable of biting you above the snake boot...just find some good boots that are comfy & dry, & watch your step. ????????

mote1977

Danner Pronghorns are the most comfortable I've owned. We put on 10-15 miles some days snake hunting and it's not a problem in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tha bugman

Depends on your budget, but I like the game winner brand...high and low top versions...waterproof...no but I have bought the whole price range of boots and some (cheaper) ones worked better than the ones I paid more clams for...

Yoder409

Don't know about "good" snake boots..............

But I can tell you about GREAT snake boots !!  Irish Setter Vaprtrek !!!!   They're like wearing 17" running shoes.............no crap !!  I had a pair of Red Heads before that lasted me about 15 years.  But they were heavy and took some breaking in before they quit being miserable so & so's.

The Vaprtreks are light, comfy and ready to rock straight outta the box.  have two seasons (TONS of miles) on them and have not a single gripe
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Borat

I think the Danner Jackal II is arguably one of the best snake boots.  I hunted hard in them from March-June and the goretex held up, keeping my feet dry each day.  I will say that they take a substantial amount of wear before breaking in, though. 

ncwoodsman

Here is another thread which has some input. I don't wear them, but have been wondering the same thing. I have 2 friends that go to Florida every year and neither one own snake boots. I'm sure it would give you a piece of mind though.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,50097.msg499263.html#msg499263

Spitten and drummen

I can say after being bitten by a stump tail moccasine , that i will wear snakeboots in warm weather the rest of my days. They may be a bit uncomfortable and somewhat of a pain with long treks , but spending several days in the hospital negates that for me.  :camohat:
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

nyhunter

Happy

I will second the the Danner pronghorn. Just put a new coat of mink oil on them to get ready for year # 5. Would stay away from anything made by Rocky. I think I had more water inside my boots than outside just walking through wet grass.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Planner

I've tried both a pair of redheads and lacrosse and neither held up very well. Chippewas get a lot of good reviews and will likely be the pair I try next. I put quite a few miles in them each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prohunter3509

I have been wearing redheads for years , pretty dry boots also
They not rubber mind you but I am happy with them
And got struck last year by copperhead and they paid off
Won't go without them now

Spring Fever

I got me a pair of Lacrosse and the wife a pair of game winners  3 years ago, and I will tell you my Lacrosse are already worn out and no longer water proof and the wife's Game winners from academy are still in good shape and water proof. We both use them for bow season deer hunting and turkey. I just asked her while typing this and her only negative was how long it took to break them in.
I think for the price I will probably be trying the Game Winners next.