OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Single toms

Started by jims, January 18, 2017, 10:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

One thing I've noticed on the Sportsman's Channel is on just about all the turkey hunts the guys are calling in single or groups of 2 to 5 toms at a time.  I've been hunting Colorado and Nebraska the past 6 years and could count on one hand how many times I've found multiple toms hanging out together.  I've ran into bachelor groups of jakes a couple times in Nebraska but that's about it.   It certainly seems like it would be easier calling in bachelor toms rather than toms with hens.  There are a lot fewer toms where I hunt.  Also, with most toms being with hens it's just about impossible calling them away from groups of hens.  I'm wondering if many of you across the country call in bachelor toms or are they mostly with hens.  I hunted here in Colo late into May last year and the toms were with hens the entire time.  There were a few hens that took off from groups later in May to nest but the toms always had company of quite a few hens.

Greg Massey

I killed several that were like 2 gobblers together, i have killed one , that was in a group of 4...they were fighting over one hen that morning...

dejake

All of the above.  It depends on time of breeding season, population, and even geography.  For example, There is a piece of property I watch that is fairly isolated, surrounded by agriculture and development.  I've watched four 4 year olds since they were jakes.  They're inseparable.

Happy

Occasionally you will find several toms together in the spring I have seen it several times. In my experience they seem to be two year olds for the most part. The most I have ever called in was a group of four with two hens. It became a group of two toms after two hunts. Not sure how that happened :) Also keep in mind that most hunts are filmed in pretty target rich environments and I think that plays into it as well.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

dirt road ninja

Many, many times I've called up doubles and triples. Seems like at least once a season.

GobbleNut

Around these parts, calling in multiple gobblers together is a fairly common occurrence.  Those are, generally speaking, groups of two-year-olds,...and they are usually the easiest birds to call.  They often will outrun each other, gobbling all the way, to get to you. 

When I am hunting,...and especially if I am with a newbie,...if I get a response from multiple gobblers together, I get set up quickly and get ready.  Those gobblers are likely to come on a bee-line to the calling, gobbling all the way.  Those kinds of birds are a great way to introduce new folks to the real thrill of turkey hunting. 

Another thing,...those situations happen much more often early in the season if you are hunting a place that gets much pressure.  Those groups of gobblers learn very quickly, after an encounter of two, not to go running to every turkey call they hear in the distance.  Watching their buddies get picked off one (or more) at a time when they all run to a turkey calling in the distance often has a lasting impact.   

Dmason3

First season last year I had 5 toms working hens out in front of me. Not sure it really counts because they were still flocked up from winter. Had about 25 turkeys out in front of me. Later in the season I rarely call in more than 1-2 toms at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slwayne

Here in Michigan, because I hunt public land the area that I hunt is set up such that the first 3 weeks are a series of one week seasons then the season closes with a 3 week season.  I always hunt that late 3 week season.  I just like having the first 3 weeks to call for friends plus I like having 3 full weeks to hunt for myself.  When I am hunting that late season I am almost always calling in single Toms.  I have on occasion called in groups 3 or 4 jakes but where Toms are concerned it's almost always singles.  Keep in mind that I am always hunting late season public land birds.  Last year I had the opportunity to call for a friend's wife on her first turkey hunt on some private land that they had access to.  This was very early in the season.  I called in two Toms who absolutely raced each other 300 yards across an open field to our setup (just as Gobblernut described).  Very cool to watch.  Unfortunately she missed at 20 yards but we had a great time.

renegade19

We've killed a bunch of doubles over the years.  Even had a chance at a triple one time but messed it up.  Just depends on the area and the birds.  I will agree that younger birds seem to come in groups or pairs more.  Nothing wrong with two year olds!

MK M GOBL

We run into multiple birds pretty often, the farms I hunt are pretty good for turkey numbers and here's what I see. So after winter breakup and I am seeing multiple birds together I always believe those birds to be "brothers" brood mates that stayed together, One of course is the dominant (Alpha) bird and others follow, strut and gobble together, but one does the breeding. We have killed a number of doubles and the birds would appear to be of the same age class. I also think unless something happens to one of the group they will stay together. Had a triple being seen in the same area for a few years and eventually I ended up tagging 2 of them one day, I shot myself a double and these were older birds, #1 weighed in at 28lbs 4oz / 1 1/8" spurs / 11 3/4" beard and #2 was 26lbs 2oz / 1 1/8" spur (the other was busted up) / 10 5/8" beard.

MK M GOBL

TauntoHawk

Like others have said there are multiple factors but the main one I believe is simply Population. if You have lots of birds and lots of Toms there is going to be a better likely hood of having them band together. The TV shows you watch have high populations and grade A ground.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gobble!

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 19, 2017, 07:19:14 AM
Many, many times I've called up doubles and triples. Seems like at least once a season.

x2

jims

Tauntohawk, That's kindof what I thought.  The TV show hunts are likely conducted on exclusive farms with lots of birds...and toms.  The only time I've seen lots of toms together is in Nebraska when turkeys are in winter flocks of 30 to 200 birds and there are multiple toms in with the gobs of hens.  The ratio of toms to hens is very low. 

MK M GBL, what you said makes a lot of sense as well.  As mentioned before I see 1 or 2 groups of jakes running together but a few of their buddies get shot over time so there are hardly ever that many 2+ year old toms running together.  There are lots and lots of turkeys where I hunt but just not that many toms.  I can see where it would be a lot easier hunting areas where there are groups of 2 to 5 toms running together rather than single toms running around with hens.  I guess it's good having lots of turkeys but wish there would be years when there were more males hatched than females!

TauntoHawk

Your terrain and woods type will factor as well. If you're hunting big woods the birds are going to spread out more than open areas where there are less roost sites and will have birds roosting together more. Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma are going to have birds roost together in the spring based on roost site availability than central NY.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

I usually have a couple chances for doubles every year.   But I always pass on the opportunity.  I'd rather leave the second gobbler for another hunt.   Even when I have a guest I'll pass on my shot.   Now if I'm the guest and my host wants to double up that's his call.   But even then I'd rather stick to my one hunt one bird rule. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff