OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Single toms

Started by jims, January 18, 2017, 10:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjnengr

Quote from: TauntoHawk on January 19, 2017, 10:57:35 AM
Like others have said there are multiple factors but the main one I believe is simply Population. if You have lots of birds and lots of Toms there is going to be a better likely hood of having them band together. The TV shows you watch have high populations and grade A ground.

Agreed Tanto.  When it comes to filming hunts, One would want to hunt the best property possible to assure success on camera.

Also keep in mind that you are seeing only the best parts of the hunt.  Most almosts, misses, hung up birds, and skunks get edited out during production. 

catman529

I've seen/called groups of 2 a few times. They don't always run in groups but sometimes they do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyoHunter

Same here. Killing two at the same time cuts down on my hunting time.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Timmer

18 years of hunting in MN, the last 10 in WI as well, and I've never seen anything but a single tom alone or with hens.  Multiple jakes many times.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

1iagobblergetter

I've had more singles come in than doubles and triples. Sometimes a Jake or two are tagging along with them also. I've also called in a bunch of doubles and some triples over the years. I hunt good private ground with alot of turkeys so I'm sure that's why. I've had a few seasons where it hasn't seemed like it though. Lol.. could've filled my tag with a jake,but just outta personal preference chose not to. If my boy was with me different story.

g8rvet

Hmm, let me think.  I called in 4 Toms one time, last Wednesday of the season.  Killed one - only legal thing to do in FL at the time, plus I could only kill one, as I had killed one opening week.  Called in groups of jakes, 6 is my record on that.  Have called in quite a few doubles over the years, but never when I was in a take 2 mode with a buddy.  In fact, I think it has always either been when I was alone or was so hell bent on getting one for someone (son, brother, nephew) I never even raised my gun.  I did take one out of two one time, now that I think of it, but number 2 stayed out a pretty decent way and even if there had been two of us, it would not have been likely to kill them both. 

Toms with hens happens less for me. Only a couple of times.  Is my calling bad in that respect?  I have called hens to me, the gobbler stayed away, or called a gobbler away from hens on a field, but never called hens that had a gobbler in tow.  I wonder why not?  Any thoughts?
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.