Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many members here had a mentor to get them started?

Started by quavers59, December 16, 2016, 02:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

My mentor was/is my brother. Not my birth brother though. Some of y'all have figured out that I've spent some time hunting with Happy. I'd killed turkeys before he and I started but they were mainly targets of opportunity. I was about 19 when I killed my first spring tom. It was with a coworker at the time. He was knowledgable but our friendship quickly waned when he left college. A year or two later, Happy and I started hunting turkeys together. There's been several flopping birds at the end of those hunts. Taking what he's shown me over the years has made me a better hunter when it comes to turkeys for sure. Not every hunt (or every season) has been successful as far as dead birds are concerned but I've thoroughly enjoyed my time spent in the woods with him. Looking forward to another hunt as soon as the last one ends. I've become what I'd consider a proficient turkey hunter (last season told a different story though) while on my own but I still enjoy spending time with a good hunting partner in the end.

RutnNStrutn

Not me. Self taught. Those first 2 years were awful. Every turkey I saw was running in the other direction!! ;D :TooFunny:
Year #3 I got my first turkey, a jake, on opening day. Been steadily improving since then! :icon_thumright:

silvestris

I was extremely lucky.  An ole timely turkey hunter taught me how to hunt them and Kenny Morgan taught me how to call them.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bolandstrutters

No mentor here either.  I came from a family of mostly deer hunters.  Luckily i had an awesome piece of property to get started on though.  Took a few years of trial and error before I started killing turkeys consistently.  I probably could have learned more in a couple of hunts with a mentor then i did in 3 years hunting by myself, but I wouldn't want it any other way. 

GobbleNut

When New Mexico had its first spring turkey season back in the mid-1960's, people that knew anything about turkey hunting were as rare as hens teeth.  As I recall, I only remember three old timers that had even hunted turkeys with a turkey call. There were no mentors to be had.  We either learned on our own,...or learned through reading about it in the few publications that carried stories on turkey hunting.

For me, the individual that shaped my long-time passion for spring gobbler hunting was a gentleman by the name of Dave Harbour.  Some of you older guys might remember him,...and his stories in Sports Afield.  He also wrote some books on the subject,...and came up with the turkey records system that is still in use today. 

Dave has been gone a long time now, but I will always remember his tales of his "duels" with spring gobblers and the lessons I learned, and the mentoring I received, just from reading his accounts.

longislandloco

My mentor....Old Moe, an old black farmer we knew, took me under his wing when his own son got to old and all knowing to go out with him. Dad wouldn't handle a gun, a WWII Silver Star winning vet who said he did enough killing to last him a lifetime, man or beast.

I'm sure Old Moe's spirit is still out there on those New York hills. Thank you Moe!
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on December 16, 2016, 03:11:27 PM
I learned to turkey hunt on my own. Dad started me hunting, but growing up back then we didn't have turkeys to hunt.

I have mentored many kids and adults, taught classes, given seminars, Learn to Hunt Programs, youth hunts and such over the last 20 years and even more in the last 10 years and well over 200 birds.

MK M GOBL

Can't beat seeing a smile like this!!
Great pic! Great memories. I also had no true mentor exactly. When I started no one would tell you anything.
A fellow Jimmy D from my archery club didn't exactly take me under his wing but in time allowed me a little picking his brain. I'd call him after my hunts n tell him what happened. I could tell by his excitement when I was getting closer.

I'm still thankful for that n still remember my first gobbler tip toeing down the hill in the Catskills.
Full fan n great beard but to me I actually enjoy mentoring even more.
Years ago a dif buddy asked how many birds I'd killed n I truly don't know.
He mentioned all the gas spent, late nights roosting birds, miles on my truck, etc n that I prob shouldn't be "giving" birds I called away.

I went home n tried to recount on a paper birds id remembered calling for others n that alone was over 50 n it was a buncha years ago.
I don't regret one ounce of any of it.
Being a mentor is more fufilling than doing it all alone. It's all thanks to Jimmy.

So if you had a mentor pass it down as a sign of your appreciation, if you didn't pass it down anyway. It'll change your life

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Bowguy on December 19, 2016, 04:56:08 PM
Great pic! Great memories. I also had no true mentor exactly. When I started no one would tell you anything.
A fellow Jimmy D from my archery club didn't exactly take me under his wing but in time allowed me a little picking his brain. I'd call him after my hunts n tell him what happened. I could tell by his excitement when I was getting closer.

I'm still thankful for that n still remember my first gobbler tip toeing down the hill in the Catskills.
He mentioned all the gas spent, late nights roosting birds, miles on my truck, etc n that I prob shouldn't be "giving" birds I called away.

I went home n tried to recount on a paper birds id remembered calling for others n that alone was over 50 n it was a buncha years ago.
Being a mentor is more fufilling than doing it all alone. It's all thanks to Jimmy.

So if you had a mentor pass it down as a sign of your appreciation, if you didn't pass it down anyway. It'll change your life

Thanks, I will say I have been very fortunate when it comes to turkey hunting and not talking about the luck I've had knocking them down. I have met some great people, shared hunts with them, introduced even more to love of the hunt. I have watched those I have mentored grow into young adults now mentoring others as I explained to them why I do this. Seen them become stewards of the land and respect for our natural world and the same respect for others. I will continue down this road for as long as I can and share my passion with those who I am able to share it with, as I say I am very fortunate :)

God Bless

MK M GOBL

Bowguy

Quote from: MK M GOBL on December 19, 2016, 08:02:46 PM
Quote from: Bowguy on December 19, 2016, 04:56:08 PM

Thanks, I will say I have been very fortunate when it comes to turkey hunting and not talking about the luck I've had knocking them down. I have met some great people, shared hunts with them, introduced even more to love of the hunt. I have watched those I have mentored grow into young adults now mentoring others as I explained to them why I do this. Seen them become stewards of the land and respect for our natural world and the same respect for others. I will continue down this road for as long as I can and share my passion with those who I am able to share it with, as I say I am very fortunate :)

God Bless

MK M GOBL

I also believe strongly in explaining the whys. Calling a bird or setting them up on a first deer is nothing compared to giving them the ability to go it on their own if need be.
Even simple things like how to approach a dog on point or how deep to work ice fishing rigs n explaining what we're targeting today or why we're there n being successful is a great thing to be a part of once it comes together for them.
Giving them the hunt is a big part of passing it down. Prob the best part, next to the smiles.

Snood Life

No mentor here. That is another reason I love this forum. I feel like I have learned so much, reading and listening to sound files. A lot of turkey killers on here to pick their brain.

njdevilsb

My dad taught me a lot about hunting deer.  Turkey, we pretty much learned together.  When I was old enough to start small game hunting, he had only hunted turkey a handful of times.  He had been deer hunting for over 20 years before I was old enough to start.

turkeyfoot

No mentor when I started heck I didn't even own a turkey call for years just old cheap single shot Winchester 12 gauge that would kick like mule with 3 inch shell and pattern something awful. It was slow going then finally got to learn to call a little did have good friend from PA that moved down here later on that taught me some things. Mostly trial and error

AR Cowboy

No mentor here.

Growing up my dad was a big duck hunter, but didn't hunt deer or turkeys. I wanted to get into turkey hunting because
1) it would increase my time in the woods and make me a better hunter and outdoorsman
2) it is more challenging than duck hunting or chasing whitetails
3) it is something that I can do with my wife, who will duck or deer hunt with me but isn't too hardy in the cold

So I have two turkey seasons under my belt so far. The first year, I struck out. I hunted probably a dozen times, got on a gobbling bird half of those, only laid eyes on one a single time but it was 100 yards out. The second year (2016), I managed 2 kills in Kansas and 2 in Nebraska, 1 in Arkansas. I feel rather certain it was beginners luck because I could write a full-fledged book of mistakes that I made. One turkey

It's been a real challenge. The birds that I've managed to get on have all been public land birds. I've put in hundreds, literally, of hours scouting, researching, patterning my gun, trying to gain some proficiency in calling. Turkey hunting is rapidly becoming my only hobby and I can't wait to keep learning and honing the craft. Fortunately, I have my wife to share it with who is really growing to love the sport also.

ferocious calls

My mentors where the birds. They are still teaching me things after 30+ seasons.

AR Cowboy

Quote from: ferocious calls on December 22, 2016, 08:32:56 AM
My mentors where the birds. They are still teaching me things after 30+ seasons.

True statement right here.