Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many members here had a mentor to get them started?

Started by quavers59, December 16, 2016, 02:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlockGirl

I have the best mentor anyone could ask for. My mentor has not just taken me hunting he is teaching me HOW to hunt. I am very thankful for him. If you can mentor please do. It makes a big difference in the life of a new hunter

MK M GOBL

Quote from: GlockGirl on December 22, 2016, 07:49:51 PM
I have the best mentor anyone could ask for. My mentor has not just taken me hunting he is teaching me HOW to hunt. I am very thankful for him. If you can mentor please do. It makes a big difference in the life of a new hunter

This is what this is about!

I have mentored for a long time and have had every kind of "student" with me. Some were in it for the short term goal (I killed a turkey), some wanted to experience this once, and others were truly interested in learning "how to hunt". I had one father/son team that hunted with me a number of years and were very successful in killing a bird while they were with me, I extended the invite on "let's go scouting, learn the call, visit the farmer... " and those invites were never met. In the short term yes they did kill quite a few birds but never learned it, once they were on there own, finding land to hunt, scouting and hunting their success went to zero. They kept in touch with me for a few years, never scored another bird and eventually seemed to give up. Then I have run into those who truly wanted to learn the game, this is what it is all about for me! I am more than willing and take the time to teach them what I have learned and have spent years teaching every bit of what I do to them and then have seen them take that knowledge and pass it along (also part of what I mentor, become the mentor). Wish they were all like this.

MK M GOBL

TauntoHawk

I killed one Tom after about 8 years of trying in my youth, met a hunting buddy who showed me the ropes of how to collect ropes. I wouldn't have it any other way, it's great having a hunting buddy and we hunt everything together always nice to have someone else to share the good hunts, the bad hunts, and the funny moments in-between.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

30_06

No mentor for me. My whole family was and still is into deer hunting, but no one ever turkey hunted.
My first year I called in a ton of turkeys, misjudged yardage on a nice tom and missed and then was picky and didn't shoot because I was calling so many in. My second year I couldn't get one to come in no matter what. Finally connected on a tom with an 11" beard on the last day.
Have been hooked ever since....still haven't gotten responses like that first year though.

Esse quam videri

mtns2hunt

Hunted deer with my dad. Did not learn too much before he passed. Hunted public land in the mountains and had a hard time. Finally started killing deer with a bow and then got invited to hunt with my cousin on his land. Never knew how much I did not know. Learned to listen and analyze everything he said about deer and turkey hunting. He taught me to think for myself: much better than showing me everything.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.