turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Lead vs htl

Started by Farmboy27, August 14, 2016, 08:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Ok. Here's a topic to pass the time. Looking back on past hunts, how many of you that use htl shot (hevi shot, heavy weight, ect) feel that it truly made a differance in your success?  I use hevi shot and have no intentions of changing, but most of my birds could easily have been killed with regular high brass loads. Heck, a lot could have been killed with dove loads!   How about you guys?

2eagles

I have been shooting Magnum Blend because of good rebates. I also like #5 lead shot. I shoot at 30 - 35 yards so both kill'm dead. I don't wait for Tom to attack my decoy because something might spook him and I'll miss an opportunity. Only birds I have missed are a couple that got too close and my pattern was too tight.

Tail Feathers

I think it has made a difference in several of my hunts.  I travel somewhere every spring and usually don't have the advantage of knowing the terrain real well.  Having absolute confidence in a full 40 yard shot is important to me.
I went to HTL early in my turkey hunting for the better patterns.  I'm set up for it now don't want to buy new chokes to try Longbeards or another lead load.  I'll stick with what I have confidence in and know works for me.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

jblackburn

I'd agree, but I have noticed "how dead" they are when I pull the trigger. Since I switched to hevi I've  rarely had them flop. Here's a near example, they are about 20 yards, bird on the left killed with lead, bird on the right hevi shot.

https://youtu.be/NF7gdr8oBIk
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Happy

Had  two toms that required follow up shots at 40 yards with my old federal #6 loads. I may have pulled the shot some so I am not going to blame the shells. However since switching to HTL I have never needed a follow up shot.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

I'll be honest.  I switched to fed HW then tss and I have no intention of going back.  I can do with my 20 GA what I did with a 3.5" 12 GA and lead so yes I believe it has been a benefit.  I don't think made me a better hunter but it certainly has made things a little easier.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

owlhoot

With the 20 gauge hevi or heavyweight , use  the latter now, it does make a difference in my opinion . Sure a lot of birds could have been killed using lead and even low brass.
But a lot of them killed isn't what we want . When we decide to shoot we want all of them killed DRT.
Also I think getting away from a 3 1/2 " 12 is a good thing . Some can't use one and some don't care to anymore. A 20 with htl allows that and with a 12 you just get a lot more gun with the htl loads without all the hassles and the problems associated with the new technology lead loads.

trkehunr93

In reality I keep my shots at reasonable distances by making sure I set up where a turkey is at or inside the 40 yard mark.  That being said I hunted with hevi 13 for about 7 years but the more I thought about these turkeys were not anymore dead then they were with lead loads so I didn't see the need for the added cost so I went back to lead.  I never noticed them flopping any less than they did with lead.  Completely a personal choice for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirt road ninja

I've killed a few with HTL that I wouldn't have shot at  using lead. Started using TSS last year and definitely killed a couple I'd have to pass on using lead. Ever since I start chasing numbers I take shots I'd have passed on years ago. Got confidence in my rigs that I didn't have before using lead.

Swampchickin234

When I consider what I spend to hunt each spring with everything I do, a 5-8 $ she'll is pretty cheap for me.  I'm not saying that anything is guaranteed, but I have absolute confidence in hw 7 after using it for 2 years in the 20.  It's enabled me to carry a little bitty light weight head smasher that is all business.  So for me, yeah it's made a difference, besides just killing authority.   

I like swarms of small shot lol

davisd9

I will never go back to lead unless I have no other choice. I spend way to much time from my family and too much money on other portions of the hunt to skim on the most important thing on the hunt. I believe in being prepared for the worst situations and not just the ideal situations. I have no problem with anyone that shoots lead, but I will stick with HTL.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wvmntnhick

As a guy that's killed most of his birds with a rifle (again, most within shotgun range) I can't comment much on the use of lead turkey loads. I've shot several birds with a shotgun and all have been with HTL loads. No complaints. I'd not complain about the patterns that the Winchester LB's were throwing either. For the ranges I've killed birds with shotguns, one is just as good as the other. Having said that, I load TSS so you see where I stand amongst the two.

Greg Massey

After using my 20 gauge for the first time this season and killing birds with the federal Hw 7 , i'm thinking i may want to try them in my 12 gauge. In the past i've always shot federal 12, 3in. 2 oz. number 5 shot and the 2 oz. number 6 federal.. i still have a lot of these in stock , but i'm still thinking on trying the 12, ga, federal Hw...federal HW are great shells...

Gamblinman

The difference between flop and no flop.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gamblinman on August 16, 2016, 12:41:13 PM
The difference between flop and no flop.

Gman
The "flop" is a nerve thing. You can shoot deer in the head and watch them flop all over the place and that's shutting the CNS down right now. You can shoot them with lead or HTL and still get the same reaction. All of the birds I've killed with a shotgun (save but one that I just recalled while typing this) have flopped with the exception of one. Again, I've not shot many with a shotgun but the ones I have have all done the dead turkey flop except one.