OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I need to pick a turkey gun

Started by Life of Riley, June 27, 2016, 01:42:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

I'm buying my first shotgun. Previously I've used my dads 870 wing master 12 gauge. Looking back when I had a nice turkey come in this spring and fan out but then hang up I wonder if it was due to having a shiny gun. After reading many reviews I'm really intrigued by a 20 gauge. Also trying to decide between a pump and auto. I shoot off my left shoulder if that makes any difference. I figure that in general a 20 will have less recoil and be a touch less loud. Thanks for any tips you can give to someone just learning about the art of shotgunning. I would also consider shooting trap and pheasants with it, but turkeys will be the#1 purpose.

fallhnt

If you want to shoot clay you may want a general purpose gun over a "turkey" gun. Don't know that a 20 is any more or less loud than a 12. I don't shoot 3.5 shells in any twelve though. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dr Juice

I would go for a 3.5" 12g autoloader like a Remington, Winchester, or Browning. Just my opinion. Good luck.

All The Way!

EZ

870 in 12 ga. Most have a parkerized finish. Probably the most versatile, bulletproof gun for the money ever made.

codym

I'm a lefty and have always shot right handed guns without an issue. The good thing about most auto's these days is that they come with shims to adjust the cast for a right or left handed shooter. I use my 20 gauges for everything without issue. If I hunted waterfowl I would probably have a 12 ga, not because I feel handicapped by the 20 but for the simple fact that 12 ga waterfowl loads are much easier to come by. As for upland game and turkey the weight savings of a 20 compared to a 12 is a pretty big deal to me. My recommendation is to go for the best gun you can afford in an auto: benelli m2, sx3, beretta 390-400 series, or browning. If it's a pump I would say 870 wingmaster or browning bps. 

Happy

I would say that one of the main things I would consider is that you can operate the safety easily. My grandad is a lefty and always preferred semi's and pumps because of it. Was pretty awsome to watch him operate a right handed bolt action tho. Plenty of guns that can do what you need for a reasonable price.
Good luck.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

beakbuster10

You've got an awesome gun in a wing master. The gloss finish doesn't really matter that much. Sure every once in a while, the gloss might spook a bird but it sounds like your bird this spring just hung up like many more will do if you keep turkey hunting. Two of the most successful and best turkey hunter I know hunt with gloss guns (browning gold and a wing master).

Your budget is going to dictate what my suggestions would be. I'd go with an autoloader if you're going to go spendy, you can't go wrong with a Beneli SBE 2 or a browning maxxus/A5/silver hunter. If you're trying to save a little money and still get a good gun, stoeger 3000 or 3500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ

A few cans of Rustoleum camo paint is pretty cheap also.

I spray my old 870 about every five years or whenever it starts looking ratty. Makes me feel like I have a NEW gun, lol.

wvmntnhick

I hunted for years with a stainless steel Marlin 22 WMR and had zero problems killing birds well within shotgun range. Happy can attest to that as he's called in numerous birds for me in the past. I'd shot several in the fall by myself well before that and even shot quite a few birds with another hunting buddy of mine. The finish on the gun means diddly in the grand scheme of things. Your movement will dictate how a bird reacts more than anything. As for a shotgun to cover all the bases you're speaking of, I'd lean towards a 12ga. Ammo is cheaper and when you start using the smaller bores for trap, things get exponentially harder. Nothing wrong with a challenge but when speaking of waterfowl and the nontoxic shot requirements, unless you plan to use something other than steel for ducks and geese, you're really cutting down the payload. When heavily feathered birds are being shot from the sky at breakneck speeds, I'd want the 12ga for the extra pellets. Upland game will give up the ghost fairly quick but ducks and geese are another story. I'm not in any way saying it can't be done as many have done it. It's a personal choice for me.

As for gun choices, look for something you can manipulate easily. Not real sure I'd want an auto as a lefty simply because I've shot them left handed for grins and giggles. They tend to leave me feeling a bit awkward when powder residue comes flying out of the ejection port and hits my nose and cheeks. I'd prefer a pump with a breech that wasn't open until I worked the action myself. Just me though. That being said, while not a frilly gun in any fashion, the Mossberg 535 can be bought with a couple barrels to meet your needs. If looking for something with more pizazz, look into the 870 or the browning line. If you're really leaning towards the automatic line, Winchester and browning are hard to beat. If you can find a good used A5, awesome. Another great pick is the Remington 11-87. Personally, I'd be looking for a used one there too but that's me. If you don't need the 3.5" requirements, I'd find an 1100 and understand that there's a good chance it may only cycle 3" shells. You can load for that though and still shoot cheaper than buying 2.75" shells. My buddy squirrel hunts now with reloaded 3" shells and it's still cheaper for him than buying the cheap bulk packs of shells at the big box stores.

Life of Riley

Thanks a lot everyone for all the info. After doing piles of reading over the last week things are getting a little clearer. ..I think? Many like a heavy 12 gauge for trap as they say it swings smoother and on the flip side many prefer a 20 for upland game as it is easy to shoulder and swing even after many miles of walking. For waterfowl a 12 is the hands down winner due to properties of steel shot. I went to cabelas today and shouldered a few, the Frannchi affinity 26" 20 gauge felt really good in my paws. A buddy has one in a 12 gauge so I'm going to shoot that one and see how it feels.

Marc

I am primarily a wing and clay shooter...  Although there might be a slight disadvantage in barrel length for turkey hunting, for wing/clay shooting I prefer a 28" barrel (or 26" as a minimum).

Shorter barrels are and advantage for turkey hunting, but a disadvantage for wing and clay shooting.  They have a louder muzzle blast, and do not swing nearly as smoothly.

As a lefty, I would take a hard look at the Browning BPS or the Ithaca 37, as both have bottom ejection and reversible safeties.  Both have very smooth pumping actions and are generally reliable guns...  Both are a bit more costly than most pump action guns though.

No doubt but that the 870 is a good weapon, but I would look at an early or pre-1980's gun, as the quality of these guns has unfortunately dropped off considerably (in my opinion).   The 870 does make a left-handed gun though.

Benelli makes a left-handed version, as does the Remington Versamax, which are two very popular auto-loaders that I would not hesitate in purchasing.  I have owned a Benelli, and it was a very reliable gun, but does have some recoil as compared to the gas-operated Versamax.  I would avoid going cheap on an auto-loader, and if I were going to drop the cash, I would want a left-handed gun if I were a left-handed shooter...  (Although I have lefty friends who shoot and enjoy right-handed models).

I would have no issue purchasing a used pump shotgun, but would probably avoid purchasing a used auto-loader unless you know the history of the gun.  Every make and model of auto-loaders out there has lemons, and my own luck has been very poor purchasing used autos...

As stated above, I would stick with a 12 gauge as it is currently the most versatile gun with a wide array of chokes and loads available for all types of hunting or shooting.  If you decide to go with a 3.5" gun, I would go with an auto simply due to the recoil.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

TRG3

Others have already responded as to shotgun candidates for turkey hunting coupled with other uses. For me, my go-to shotgun for gobblers is a 12 gauge Remington 870 using 3" #5 shot. Having said that, probably 90% of the toms I've taken are at 20 yards or less utilizing decoys which makes taking them with my flintlock fowlers, 1889 Remington hammer double barrel, and old Model 12 more than capable of making the shot, which I've done on numerous occasions. So...any shotgun will work at that range which emphasizes the point that waiting for the bird to come in close is more important than a shotgun/shell that will reach w...a...y out there. For next spring, I'm already working on a 20 gauge and LC Smith hammer double barrel for the majority of my turkey hunting. For me, everything in the process leading up to pulling the trigger is more fun than actually bringing home the bird.

howl

A tang safety is a handy thing. Mossberg and Browning pumps have them. Mossberg semi autos have them. O/Us have them. A tang safety and a straight or adjustable stock make a gun for a Southpaw.

I looked at lefty friendly autos  while back. I dismissed the Affinity due to fear of the Benelli click and loud safety. I also dslike the extra noise in the stock when firing. It would probably be a great duck gun, though. I got a Beretta A300 instead. Nicer, softer and easy to adjust the stock.  Switching the safety around took maybe ten minutes.

If you have an Academy Sports store nearby, see if they have a Yildiz o/u with the steel frame. 28" barrels are a little quieter and on a break action not as long as otherwise.

Farmboy27

I'm a lefty shooter. I grew up shooting right handed guns. My 870, 11-87, nova all have the safeties switched for left hand. My sx2 did until I gave it to my son. I never once had an issue with powder residue hitting my face. I have also shot birds with a 935 and an sp10. No issue. If the gun is functioning right then there shouldn't be any powder residue hitting your face!  I have also shot sporting clays and skeet with right handed semis. No problem. If the gun is "spritzing" you, then the gun has issues.

guesswho

I just recently bought a 20 gauge and set it up for my 74 year old Mom, who loves to turkey hunt.  I went with a Weatherby SA459.  I installed a Sumtoy 562 choke, topped it off with a Vortex Venon sight.  I patterned it with 3" Fed HW 7's.   After shooting it I have about decided to get another one for me and set it up the same way.  Wicked little set-up that I'm sure will prove to be deadly on turkeys.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff