OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

America's biggest mass shooting......

Started by Yoder409, June 18, 2016, 07:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbhngr

I live in NY. We have background checks. We have to wait 4-6months for our pistol permit after applying. It works fine IMO. With that being said.... I don't think law abiding citizens disagree with that. The problem is what are the powers to be gonna try to sneak in. Noone trust them that's why our guard is always up. First they say it's the a.r. then all of a sudden it's any 50 cal. semi auto weapon like my 12 GA. The people making the laws are not trust worthy. That's the bottom line

LI Outdoorsman

Yes here in NY people have to wait 6 months for a handgun permit by jumping thru all types of flaming hoops and tons of paperwork but at the end there is NO requirement for a safety class or have to prove proficiency with a  gun or responsible ownership!This is where we fail as a state and a country
We..the gun culture are constantly taking it on the chin...fingers pointed at and looked down on as these maniacs who have no ties to us whatsoever commit crimes with guns...our guns..guns that belong in the hands of MENTORED, TRAINED, LICENSED..RESPONSIBLE citizens...Someone..some IDIOT...should not be allowed to enter our culture..our world..and use a weapon in a crime that impacts ALL of us..
Things have to change..Guns and gun safety should not be a mystery or something parents try to hide from their children...Responsible gun safety and ownership must be taught in the schools and an individual desiring to buy a gun MUST be trained and mentored for a period of time BEFORE they are allowed to be the sole owner and responsible user of that gun. I am all for gun ownership and the 2nd amendment but we have to come up with a system that blocks a "lone wolf" type or anyone else not affiliated with the gun world to obtain a firearm legally and we must teach our children and communities what it really means to own a gun and be a gun user and that WE are not the enemy NOT just ways to keep guns away and let them become the "soft" targets that these cowardly bastards love to use as the targets of their insanity.

BowBendr

I disagree 100% with compromise. Liberals always talk about reaching across the aisle for bi-partisan agreement, like you have in the bills going up for vote today. Any compromise on our part will equal a gobbling-up power grab on their part.
I want to know 2 things. One, why was the Orlando shooter taken off said watch list ? Two, when his sorry arse went to buy a firearm, why wasnt he immediately snatched up by the FBI ?

Gods of Thunder
2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

silvestris

Farmboy27 and lmbhnge, this post is not against either of you personally, but directly at your stated opinions.  For one, I will never set foot in New York State or any other jurisdiction where the politicians do not recognize my concealed carry permit and therefore my god given right to defend my life and if appropriate, the lives of others.

The problem is not guns, but rather gun free zones that scream, ""Come and kill us".  Ones with nefarious, evil intentions will find a way to arm themselves.  Perhaps if there had been only one responsible concealed carry permit holder in the Orlando bar, the carnage could have been lessened.  Unfortunately, Florida does not allow permitted carry in bars.  My state does not allow carry in bars either, so I stay out of those gun free zones.  Perhaps states should allow carry in bars so long as the one carrying does not consume alcohol, a designated sheepdog.

Insofar as the type of weapons one should be allowed to possess, the founders desired the citizen to possess the type of weapon that would allow the citizen to defend against tyranny, i.e., the government.  Absent adequate, speedy and a cost free method of getting off of a arbitrary list, the no fly/terrorist lists do not provide the due process required by the Constitution.

Compromise with progressives is a one-way street, always leading to a further loss of the Liberty fought so hard for by the revolutionaries in the colonies. 
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

GobbleNut

Whether anybody here agrees with the idea of compromise or not, change is on the way in this country.  We will either take a realistic look at where the overwhelming majority of the public stands on this issue, and then come to the table and make compromises that will satisfy that majority, or we will ultimately face the much harsher consequences of not doing so. 

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 20, 2016, 02:51:32 PM
Whether anybody here agrees with the idea of compromise or not, change is on the way in this country.  We will either take a realistic look at where the overwhelming majority of the public stands on this issue, and then come to the table and make compromises that will satisfy that majority, or we will ultimately face the much harsher consequences of not doing so.
Compromise.....Lol.... I'm glad I was never on a battle field with a bunch of you. I have a feeling once the first shot went off I'd be out there alone. Or surrounded by white flags Lol... i dont think the other side would even need torture tactics to get info.. Lol..you seen what happened to the Indians with compromise and coming to the table. I can't hardly believe what I'm reading. I guess everyone has their own opinion mine is never compromise. Lord help us... oh is that ok to say??? Hope I didn't offend anyone. Lol....

Marc

Quote from: BowBendr on June 20, 2016, 10:36:44 AM
I disagree 100% with compromise. Liberals always talk about reaching across the aisle for bi-partisan agreement, like you have in the bills going up for vote today. Any compromise on our part will equal a gobbling-up power grab on their part.
I want to know 2 things. One, why was the Orlando shooter taken off said watch list ? Two, when his sorry arse went to buy a firearm, why wasnt he immediately snatched up by the FBI ?
The person in question was on a watch list...  To my knowledge, he had committed no crime, and was NOT a criminal.

What other Constitutional rights should we take away from citizens who we "suspect" as possible threats or criminals yet who have not been charged with any crimes?  In other words taking away someone's rights cause we do not like them or their beliefs??

Gun control is a slippery slope, and unfortunately, I think we will find that we cannot regulate our way to safety...  Unfortunately, the main portion affected by gun regulation will be law-abiding citizens...

What I do see that needs to be done is far more aggressive measures to prevent illegal gun sales and distribution, and far harsher punishment for illegally buying or selling guns.

Personally, I think it is a dangerous line of thinking to consider taking away the rights of citizens without some proof or good reason to do so...  Especially when we consider the ambiguity of being put on to a watch list...  Such reasoning could easily be used to prevent the majority of citizens from gun ownership.

I do not believe there are any easy answers, and with the increasing numbers of mass shootings, society is demanding that action be taken...  Nobody knows what action that should be, and the most obvious answer is to get rid of guns...

My feeling however, is that addressing this violence with gun regulation is similar to addressing a leaky dam by removing the water from a lake.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Farmboy27

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on June 20, 2016, 03:14:37 PM
Compromise.....Lol.... I'm glad I was never on a battle field with a bunch of you. I have a feeling once the first shot went off I'd be out there alone. Or surrounded by white flags Lol... i dont think the other side would even need torture tactics to get info.. Lol..you seen what happened to the Indians with compromise and coming to the table. I can't hardly believe what I'm reading. I guess everyone has their own opinion mine is never compromise. Lord help us... oh is that ok to say??? Hope I didn't offend anyone. Lol....
Laugh all you want!  Change is on the way and when change happens you must adapt or die off. I for one would rather adapt but that's just me. I don't see how any of the comments on compromise makes us cowards. Your opinion is to never compromise?  Some might say that makes you tough. I would say that makes you narrow minded, selfish, and very poor at strategic and tactical decisions.  Hey, we all have our opinions! 

allaboutshooting

QuoteArm yourself  or become a victim.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Farmboy27 on June 20, 2016, 05:23:32 PM
Laugh all you want!  Change is on the way and when change happens you must adapt or die off. I for one would rather adapt but that's just me. I don't see how any of the comments on compromise makes us cowards. Your opinion is to never compromise?  Some might say that makes you tough. I would say that makes you narrow minded, selfish, and very poor at strategic and tactical decisions.  Hey, we all have our opinions!
Your right say whatever you want to say. It doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to look at some of our neighbors and see where compromise got them. I'm done trying to spell it out. How's that saying go...you can't fix

Farmboy27

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on June 20, 2016, 06:48:22 PM
Your right say whatever you want to say. It doesn't take a whole lot of smarts to look at some of our neighbors and see where compromise got them. I'm done trying to spell it out. How's that saying go...you can't fix
Well now I've been called a coward and stupid for saying I would rather loose a battle than loose the war!  Guess it's just not my day. Any comments about my house or my wife while your at it?

Marc

Remember that the second Amendment was not put into place so that we can hunt, or protect ourselves and home from crime.

The Second Amendment was put into place to protect society from the potential of an oppressive government.  It was put into place to create an armed society capable (and hopefully willing) to protect itself from threats both foreign and domestic...

I firmly believe that the first step in creating the potential for an oppressive government is to take away the ability of society to defend itself.

I believe that most proponents of the Second Amendment and gun rights in general would be in favor of regulation which was logical and in the best interest of society...  Unfortunately, the end-game of gun regulation enthusiasts is NO MORE GUNS.  The idea is to slowly "compromise" citizens either out of their rights or abilities to own guns...

Some terrible gun regulation has been proposed and passed in California...  No more guns with a removable clip, no more online ammo purchasing, severe restriction in the amount of ammo allowable to purchase (2 boxes I believe), etc...

Much of the regulation we will see coming down the line will be in the form of ammunition regulation...  Making it far more difficult and expensive to purchase ammunition (thus indirect gun regulation).

My current stance on gun regulation is that I will resist any new gun regulation.  I will write my representatives, I will sign petitions, I will support the NRA, and I will vote for candidates who will support second amendment rights.

I will fight any further gun regulations, and I will fight to get back any rights that are taken in the form of gun regulation...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

[/quote]Compromise.....Lol.... I'm glad I was never on a battle field with a bunch of you. I have a feeling once the first shot went off I'd be out there alone. Or surrounded by white flags Lol... i dont think the other side would even need torture tactics to get info.. Lol..you seen what happened to the Indians with compromise and coming to the table. I can't hardly believe what I'm reading. I guess everyone has their own opinion mine is never compromise. Lord help us... oh is that ok to say??? Hope I didn't offend anyone. Lol....
[/quote]

You certainly didn't prove yourself to be offensive; more narrow-minded than anything.  Classy move with that battle field reference.  Not everyone who has carried a gun for a living assumes cowardice amongst their peers when disagreements over mass-shootings, politics, and public safety are being discussed.

If you have spent any time in a combat environment, you should be keenly aware that people use guns to kill people.  Guns are being used to kill A LOT of people annually in the U.S.  What that means, Poindexter, is that our policies are not working.  Our society has indisputably shifted away from moral values and become more focused on individuality and civil liberties.  As these cultural trends occur, we cannot remain totally sedentary and expect policy of the past to be efficacious in the future. 

The 2nd Amendment is an inalienable right designed to instill and maintain a healthy level of fear for the governed.  That being said, compromise is inevitable.  You're on the losing side of history if you refuse to do so.  Common sense policy such as closing gun show loopholes, etc, make sense to me and a larger percentage of the American populous. 

Farmboy27

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 20, 2016, 09:11:08 PM

[/quote]

You certainly didn't prove yourself to be offensive; more narrow-minded than anything.  Classy move with that battle field reference.  Not everyone who has carried a gun for a living assumes cowardice amongst their peers when disagreements over mass-shootings, politics, and public safety are being discussed.

If you have spent any time in a combat environment, you should be keenly aware that people use guns to kill people.  Guns are being used to kill A LOT of people annually in the U.S.  What that means, Poindexter, is that our policies are not working.  Our society has indisputably shifted away from moral values and become more focused on individuality and civil liberties.  As these cultural trends occur, we cannot remain totally sedentary and expect policy of the past to be efficacious in the future. 

The 2nd Amendment is an inalienable right designed to instill and maintain a healthy level of fear for the governed.  That being said, compromise is inevitable.  You're on the losing side of history if you refuse to do so.  Common sense policy such as closing gun show loopholes, etc, make sense to me and a larger percentage of the American populous. 
[/quote]
100%. Well said! 

silvestris

Would someone explain to me what the "gun show loophole" is?  It has never been satisfactorily explained to me.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game