> we should vehemently resist any attempts to infringe on our
> Right to
> Bear Arms. Without the Second Amendment we will be totally
> stripped of
> any ability to defend ourselves and our
> families. 
>
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

captpete

Tail Feathers

Wouldn't that be considered a military action to keep a fairly recent foe from starting up further hostilities?
In the Civil War there were lots of mass shootings.  Thousands killed per day in many battles.

What I'm getting at is that I'm not sure military actions (and it's difficult to judge the decisions made then by today's standards) count as "mass shootings" like the ones in the news in recent years.

None of which refutes your basic message, the Second Ammendment is what protects and preserve all the others.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

1iagobblergetter

It is very sad and unfortunate people kill others. If they weren't using guns it would be homemade bombs, mowing people down with vehicles etc. It's not guns killing people its people killing people. Then more than likely we'll set them up with a place to stay, direct tv, and 3 meals a day and that's if we the people are lucky and a fancy lawyer doesn't get them off. One would think we could come up with some better laws to deter people from doing these horrific events.

Greg Massey

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on June 19, 2016, 09:00:45 AM
It is very sad and unfortunate people kill others. If they weren't using guns it would be homemade bombs, mowing people down with vehicles etc. It's not guns killing people its people killing people. Then more than likely we'll set them up with a place to stay, direct tv, and 3 meals a day and that's if we the people are lucky and a fancy lawyer doesn't get them off. One would think we could come up with some better laws to deter people from doing these horrific events.
X2

VaTuRkStOmPeR

People use guns to kill people.

When it comes to crime and mass killings, guns are the tool of choice.  For the sake of public safety, I hope the two sides of this discussion can find common ground and pass some sensible, productive legislation that addresses both mental health and firearms accessibility.

Fullfan

Great info thanks for passing it along.

Here is my thinking in todays world, Being a LEO for 25 years ( now retired) this is the moto my family lives by. Arm yourself  or become a victim..... And you can bet that everyone that lives under my roof
is  packing, or no more than 10 feet from a loaded gun at any time..

My kids and wife have grown up around guns and all are very proficient with them. All know the rules for engagement with deadly force. We all sleep very peacefully at night.
Don't gobble at me...

Happy

I believe everyone should know how to use a gun. Everyone in my family does. Do I believe that some people should not have gun? Absolutely. However no amount of legislation or background checks will keep guns out of their hands if they really want them. Neither will banning guns entirely. That just makes the law abiding citizen defenseless. I believe in more law abiding and decent citizens carrying guns. Most criminals are cowards and if the odds are good they are gonna be getting shot at then they wouldn't start their crap. And for those crazy idiots that want to die for their crazy cause. I say drop them before they get a good start on killing all those innocent people. The only way that happens is if there are a lot of guns in good people's hands. Should there be a testing and mental evaluation before you are allowed to carry a weapon? I believe so. But it should be made available nation wide. We will never end all violence and there are some twisted souls who have no value for human life. They cannot be fixed but they can be eliminated.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

sixbird

Quote from: Fullfan on June 19, 2016, 02:56:36 PM
Great info thanks for passing it along.

Here is my thinking in todays world, Being a LEO for 25 years ( now retired) this is the moto my family lives by. Arm yourself  or become a victim..... And you can bet that everyone that lives under my roof
is  packing, or no more than 10 feet from a loaded gun at any time..

My kids and wife have grown up around guns and all are very proficient with them. All know the rules for engagement with deadly force. We all sleep very peacefully at night.

:icon_thumright:

sixbird

Quote from: Happy on June 19, 2016, 03:28:29 PM
I believe everyone should know how to use a gun. Everyone in my family does. Do I believe that some people should not have gun? Absolutely. However no amount of legislation or background checks will keep guns out of their hands if they really want them. Neither will banning guns entirely. That just makes the law abiding citizen defenseless. I believe in more law abiding and decent citizens carrying guns. Most criminals are cowards and if the odds are good they are gonna be getting shot at then they wouldn't start their crap. And for those crazy idiots that want to die for their crazy cause. I say drop them before they get a good start on killing all those innocent people. The only way that happens is if there are a lot of guns in good people's hands. Should there be a testing and mental evaluation before you are allowed to carry a weapon? I believe so. But it should be made available  wide. We will never end all violence and there are some twisted souls who have no value for human life. They cannot be fixed but they can be eliminated.

:happy0064:

Farmboy27

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 19, 2016, 02:07:18 PM

When it comes to crime and mass killings, guns are the tool of choice.  For the sake of public safety, I hope the two sides of this discussion can find common ground and pass some sensible, productive legislation that addresses both mental health and firearms accessibility.
Agree 100%. I would love to see a more in depth background check system. I don't really care if it would make it a bit less convenient for me to buy a gun. The problem is that groups like the NRA are against any kind of new gun laws. I'm afraid that in the future we are going to have to either compromise and face some inconvenient regulations or lose a lot of our guns. Given the choice, I'd rather take the compromise. 

SteelerFan

Quote from: Farmboy27 on June 19, 2016, 05:13:29 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 19, 2016, 02:07:18 PM

Agree 100%. I would love to see a more in depth background check system. I don't really care if it would make it a bit less convenient for me to buy a gun. The problem is that groups like the NRA are against any kind of new gun laws. I'm afraid that in the future we are going to have to either compromise and face some inconvenient regulations or lose a lot of our guns. Given the choice, I'd rather take the compromise.

:agreed: :agreed:

Spitten and drummen

I honestly wished that the media and misinformed would quit spouting that ar stands for assault rifle. Ignorance is part of the problem with the gun argument. They are talking about passing a law that if your on a watch list , then you cannot purchase a firearm. I want to know who decides who makes the list and why. This is a slippery slope they are treading on now. Just my thoughts.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR link=topic=66396.msg649589#msg649589 date=1466359fr638

Guns are definitely the tool of choice and if we didn't have guns the criminals would have them or  use some other way of harming people. The NRA isn't stupid if they compromise are gun rights will be widdled away to the point we couldn't own a squirt gun. Look at the population does everyone think things are going to go smoothly all the time with or without guns. I personally don't think all of us law abiding people should have to keep giving our rights up for the stuff criminals do. I think we need more death penalty preferably by victims families if they so choose. :z-guntootsmiley:

Farmboy27

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on June 19, 2016, 09:01:57 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR link=topic=66396.msg649589#msg649589 date=1466359fr638

Guns are definitely the tool of choice and if we didn't have guns the criminals would have them or  use some other way of harming people. The NRA isn't stupid if they compromise are gun rights will be widdled away to the point we couldn't own a squirt gun. Look at the population does everyone think things are going to go smoothly all the time with or without guns. I personally don't think all of us law abiding people should have to keep giving our rights up for the stuff criminals do. I think we need more death penalty preferably by victims families if they so choose. :z-guntootsmiley:
Its a just a fact of life that sometimes we must compromise to prosper. I am no different from anyone else, I would love to have everything my way all the time!  But the bottom line is the constitution gives us the right to keep and bear arms. Unfortunately, it doesn't specify the type of arms because the writers never guessed that we would someday have the guns available that we do today. In my opinion there have been far to many legally bought guns used in recent mass shootings. Set stricter standards for gun buyers!  If you're a law abididing, sane citizen, then it won't matter. We gun owners seem to forget that there are other rights in this country. Like LIFE, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Compromise is not the end of the world. The NRA would help it's image a lot if it would show people that it is willing to work with gun control advocates to find a solution that both sides could live with!  But I really can't remember a single time that the NRA really stopped a serious threat to the 2nd amendment. In my experience they ask for tons of money, make promises, and talk about threats, and then take credit for no gun control laws being passed. As soon as there is a mass shooting they take full advantage of it and ask for more money!  They are no better than the average politician. Never waste a good crisis!