turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Raingear

Started by Life of Riley, June 17, 2016, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

What type of rain gear do you guys think is best? I have an old army surplus camp coat but no pants. I'm thinking about upgrading before next season.

guesswho

I usually just carry a Frogg Togg poncho.  Lightweight and works really well if I just sit and wait it out.   I also have a Frogg Toog suit but have never carried it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

eddie234

I have a set of camo frog toggs, pants and jacket.

SteelerFan

Rain gear for turkey, I prefer the roof of my house... But that's not always convenient. I've been pleased with Cabela's rain suede. I have the pants & parka - but I'd consider going with the bibs when I need new. If you do go with pants of whatever brand, I'd also get suspenders for them (wet pants tend to droop).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Rain-Suede-trade-Packable-Parka-with-MOST-DRY-PLUS-ndash-Regular/1546822.uts?productVariantId=4091067&searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_refinements%3D%257Evariants_pColor%253DMossy%252BOak%252BCountry%26CQ_search%3Drain%252520suede%26CQ_st%3Db

rblake

I have never been happy with rain gear set up. I have several poncho's ready to roll for next season. I like the lightweight Frogg togg but I wish it had more width.

I wound like one with a gun port  :fud:
Mountaineer by birth and choice. Grand Slam 2013

Va3toes

West Augusta

Camo Gore Tex. Light,  wind proof,  water proof and have lasted about 10 years so far.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mwr

Quote from: West Augusta on June 18, 2016, 07:04:55 PM
Camo Gore Tex. Light,  wind proof,  water proof and have lasted about 10 years so far.
Same here!!

Marc

I have been using Frogg Toggs for waterfowl hunting (and about everything else outdoors) for rain gear for the past few years.

I would consider it disposable rain gear, as it does not last, and does not appear to be made to last, but it does keep you dry.

This past season, I went through three Frogg Togg jackets...  The first one was probably due for replacement, but the second two had never been used, and the zippers failed on both of the new ones...

I will be looking for a bit more high-end rain gear this coming season, and am considering Kuiu...

Kuiu is from the same guy that started Sitka, and the pricing is similar (although Kuiu is a bit less expensive).  I like the camo patterns on Sitka better for waterfowl, but having tried on both, and talking to people who own both, I would guess that Kuiu is a bit better as far as design and staying dry... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

wvmntnhick

I've used frogg toggs for years when riding the motorcycle. Haven't used them for hunting as they just seem to me that they're going to get shredded in the briars and whatever else. They'll keep you dry but I'd question the outdoor durability. Having said that, I've got a canelas rain suit of some sort that my parents got me one year for Christmas years ago. No clue what model but it's worked well for me for years and I've got no complaints with those that I've not had with others. In fact, I've got the same complaint with all rain suits I've worn over the years. They're not breathable enough. What good is it to have the danged things if I'm sweating my tail off under it anyway? Would almost rather be rain soaked than sweat drenched.

nyhunter

cabelas MT050, had mine for several years,

reynolds243

The mt050 is good stuff and will last

You for sure get what you pay for in rain gear however you can get a good set without having to pay $250 for a jacket.

Core4element has some very good rain gear and a super light weight for the cost as well. Kuiu and Sitka make awesome rain gear but it's not cheap!

Joshua 24:15
"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord."

Sent from my phone sucka

beakbuster10

Whatever you get make sure it's goretex. You get what you pay for with rain gear. If you want it to last, actually keep you dry, and be able to hunt in it without sounding like a bag of potato chips, you're going to have to spend a little money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRG3

I've been using Frogg Toggs since they only came in black. They are excellent in repelling rain and snow; however, they are easily torn by briars, etc. I even use the older Frogg Toggs as covers for my firearm since they are so light and quiet. Also, if you are sitting on your deer stand and are not wearing the bib version, the jacket will funnel the water directly inside the waist of your water proof pants. Don't ask how I know.

Brian Fahs

I am currently using first lite stormtight raingear. I have tried it all and this is the set I like best. Expensive but it works.