OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Raingear

Started by Life of Riley, June 17, 2016, 03:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ericbrooks

The best I have found for the money is military ORC Improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtns2hunt

Quote from: West Augusta on June 18, 2016, 07:04:55 PM
Camo Gore Tex. Light,  wind proof,  water proof and have lasted about 10 years so far.
x2
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

kjnengr

Quote from: beakbuster10 on June 19, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
Whatever you get make sure it's goretex. You get what you pay for with rain gear. If you want it to last, actually keep you dry, and be able to hunt in it without sounding like a bag of potato chips, you're going to have to spend a little money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said. 

If you hunt places that you will likely get more than just a drizzle, I would go with the bibs over the regular pants.  They will keep you a lot drier.  I wouldn't spend more than $300 for a top and bottom, but a good rain suit is worth its weight in gold. 

MK M GOBL

Cabela's MT050!! After 11 years on the first set I did have to replace the bottoms 2 years ago due to wear and tear...

MK M GOBL

paboxcall

I've been wearing Browning Hydrofleece uninsulated jacket and pants for nearly 20 years now.  Stuff is tough as nails and quiet. 

For warmer later in the season spring hunts I carry whatever packable lightweight jacket and pants that Cabelas had on clearance.  They roll up into a single pocket, take up no room and are functional enough. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

HFultzjr

My favorite "rain gear" is my blind.
Last year it seemed to rain almost every time I was out and some of the days I wouldn't have gone, if I didn't have my blind(s) to sit in. Sooooo comfy listening to the rain and not getting wet.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: HFultzjr on January 20, 2017, 10:50:35 AM
Last year it seemed to rain almost every time I was out and some of the days I wouldn't have gone, if I didn't have my blind(s) to sit in. Sooooo comfy listening to the rain and not getting wet.

X2!!
But I still have to get to and from... I sit fields in the rain and have killed birds in absolute downpours doing so and gobbling and strutting all the way in to the DSD's!!

Wish I could post a video here, I have some awesome footage of this!
(I have tried to upload but doesn't seem like you can)

Here's a pic from that hunt (them birds had Hooks)

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

If it's going to be rainy i wear a pair of rain proof paints and a waterproof jacket from Cabela's

jims

A lot depends on what type of hunting you'll be doing.  If you won't be walking much I would highly recommend Helly Hanson.  They are pretty much the standard raingear used in SE Alaska (in situations where you won't be hiking much).

If doing a bunch of hiking it's pretty tough to beat Sitka or Kuiu raingear.  A lot of guys don't know that not all gortex is created equally!  If you are strapped for $ I would highly recommend Marmot Precip.  I've gotten them on sale at Sierr@  Trading for $50/pants and $50/jacket.  They don't come in camo but they have several green or brown colors.  I've had just as good of luck with the Precips as my Sitka for a fraction of the price. 

One thing I would definitely recommend whether you go with Helly Hanson, Sitka, Precip, or what ever....do yourself a favor and only buy rain jackets with pitzips.  You will get wet from the inside out without pitzips for ventilation!  I also like rain pants with zippers on the bottom....it makes it a lot easier to get the rainpants off without taking off your boots.  One of my Precip pants has zippers that go the entire length of the pants that are pretty nice for getting on and off (and don't leak).

HFultzjr

Quote from: MK M GOBL on January 20, 2017, 08:10:19 PM
Quote from: HFultzjr on January 20, 2017, 10:50:35 AM

X2!!
But I still have to get to and from... I sit fields in the rain and have killed birds in absolute downpours doing so and gobbling and strutting all the way in to the DSD's!!

Wish I could post a video here, I have some awesome footage of this!
(I have tried to upload but doesn't seem like you can)

Here's a pic from that hunt (them birds had Hooks)

MK M GOBL

An umbrella solves the problem of getting to the blind if you don't have far to go. Most of my blinds are pretty easy to get to. If you are back in somewhere, then that's a different story.

quavers59

I have 2 sets of cheap rain wear. Both are camo. A darker Fall pattern-- but in a light rain-no problem for Spring. I won't wear the raingear pants though- just the top with the hood. I need to get 1 more set for this Spring. Heres the kicker-- I find these in the HIKING section! And they cost less then 10 bucks. I forget the brand- but save money and check your hiking section of a Gander Mt, etc.

TauntoHawk

I have Cabela's pack lite it rolls up the size of a can of soda for the morning where it "might" rain. I have sylo rain gear for when it is gonna rain and it's awesome. Full zip legs to put on over boots and pit zips for when you're on the move

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

USMC0331

Duffer58

I agree with Beakbuster10.  I've had Cabela's rain jackets with their 4most dry plus and after a year or two they start to leak.  Gore-Tex is worth the extra expense up front.  I like a Gore-Tex jacket paired with Gore-Tex bibs.  The bibs keep your backside covered and dry better than pants.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

Rzrbac

Kuiu is popular for western hunters and supposed to be top of the line. I'm not sure how it would hold up in briars in southern MO.  I haven't spent a lot on rain gear and maybe that's why I have never liked any I've tried. Seems like I get just as wet with it on as off. On rainy days I just make sure I wear some blend of poly/nylon/cotton that dries out fast. I don't mind getting wet, I'm used to it as I'm sweating a lot on the clear days anyway.  :D