turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help me start my custom call collection

Started by Life of Riley, June 01, 2016, 06:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I am about to order a couple SS calls...  Box and Scratcher...  Heard good things about them.

I have a call from Spring Creek, and I cannot imagine a better call for the price as far as a quality Box call.  He also sells scratch boxes, and I will probably order one from him next season.

I purchased a scratch box from Lonnie Gilbert this year, and I am in love with it.  Unique and realistic sound with a similar, realistic resonance of a wood box call...  Scratch boxes are also very affordable and very versatile.

Had and lost a call from Paul Albert (Paul's calls)...  Best box call I have owned to date.  Wife bought it for my birthday, and it killed me to lose it.  A bit more pricey, but I will own one again.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Life of Riley

I talked to Al today at SS calls and was really helpful with helping a new guy pick his first box call and gave me good tips on how to care for it, chalk it, etc. So glad I held off on buying a mass production call, I know there are good ones but it'll be nice to have a good custom in the vest. Also told him to make me a scratcher and for wood go with the call makers choice. Now all I need is to pick one more pot. Aluminum or copper or ceramic or titanium?

outdoors

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A CERAMIC I LIKE TO SUGGEST CHAD HE MAKES A REALLY GOOD ONE .
I HAVE A FEW THEY ARE ALL GOOD JUST CHAD HASE A SOUND TO IT THATS DEFERENT
IF WANT HERES  EMAIL. ... stumpyglassman@yahoo.com
HES A MEMBER ON HERE ALSO ....STUMPY ......   GOOD LUCK .....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Bowguy

Quote from: Life of Riley on June 03, 2016, 12:31:22 AM
I talked to Al today at SS calls and was really helpful with helping a new guy pick his first box call and gave me good tips on how to care for it, chalk it, etc. So glad I held off on buying a mass production call, I know there are good ones but it'll be nice to have a good custom in the vest. Also told him to make me a scratcher and for wood go with the call makers choice. Now all I need is to pick one more pot. Aluminum or copper or ceramic or titanium?
Aluminum, anondized can be tougher to run. Get bead blasted. Call Schafer, you'll be glad you did once you use it. Both in ease of play n his are brutal on birds. The other one pretty easy to run is Dawkins stoned aluminum. Kills me to say a plastic pot is good but I used it on responsive birds once n the bird came home. I still favor Jimmys though

yelpy

I would suggest to get a second job just to support your up and coming addiction. Just make sure you have plenty of time off come turkey season. LOL!

wvmntnhick

Quote from: yelpy on June 03, 2016, 12:31:48 PM
I would suggest to get a second job just to support your up and coming addiction. Just make sure you have plenty of time off come turkey season. LOL!
X2. It all started with one call for me. Now I've got more calls than I could ever possibly use. Got rid of almost all of the production calls but my vest will only hold one box call and 4-5 pots. What am I going to do with all the others? Lol

beakbuster10

You're embarking on a dangerous path. I started out going custom with a dads box two years ago. I just dumped my glove box and vest as the season came to a close; and I just smiled and shook my head as I counted up the money. 800 dollars worth of calls were riding either in my vest or truck this season. And I know that doesn't even scratch the surface of what many guys on here have.

For a pure turkey killer, contact Ryan Hershberger, "Hersh's custom calls", and get his copper trough. I picked one up from him on here before this spring and every bird that heard it this spring died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

wvmntnhick

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on June 05, 2016, 06:16:14 PM
Welcome to the club.
Love the pic in your avatar man. That's awesome. Carry on.

lmbhngr

There's a bunch of Albert Paul calls on eBay right now