OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help me start my custom call collection

Started by Life of Riley, June 01, 2016, 06:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

This was my first year turkey hunting and I can't wait for next spring to roll around. I've got 2 calls, a glass pot and a push pin, both production models. Rather than buy 100 different calls to sort through what works I figured I'd lean on the wisdom of those here at OG to point me in the right direction. I'm looking to order one box (that will fit in the pouch on my tatr 2 vest), two pots, and beyond that I'm open to any suggestions. One of the pots will be a LS hot hen. What I'm asking of you is to list what your number one call is, either overall or one from each category. Also I'm not interested in the new call that looks pretty and just came in the mail and is "all turkey". I want a call that has been responsible for putting turkeys on the ground. Thanks for helping a brother out.

jed clampett

My Lon trice zebrawood bronzed glass/glass has killed many a gobbler...i also will be getting one of those Roberts glass/aluminum pots..they sound awful good...i would get a ss box...they sound great an a short wait time....my Albert Paul walnut/mahogany has bought a couple in to the gun..but you will have to wait awhile on his boxes...

wvmntnhick

Well, if I had to choose a box, I'd be torn between an SS or a Mabry. Both are awesome. The SS is certainly easier to get and I love mine. Just bought it this year. Didn't get a bird with it but had several good responses and next year, it's going to kill for sure. If you don't like the bulk of a box, get a scratch box either from SS or spring creek. Love both of mine and they're capable of big box volume. As for pots, based on what I've heard, you made a good choice with the Sneed hot hen. If I were to pick another, it'd be either a Yingling aluminum or crystal over slate. Called in two to my neice on the aluminum for youth day at PBR. SHE MISSED TWICE! Used the crystal a ton and actually called about 6 birds this spring with it. Just never got it all lined up. My fault, not the call. The aluminum accounted for 2 others that were called in close enough to shoot but the debris in the way prohibited it. If I'm going pots, I'm going Yingling.

EZ

Since you're just getting into this turkey hunting obsession, may I make the suggestion. Learn to run the calls you have first.
There are many, many very good custom call makers out there, on this site and others that will serve you well, but truth be told, a large percentage of how good a call sounds is the guy in the mirror.

Once you become proficient at running a call very well, you will be able to better pick calls that suit you.

Bowguy

For boxes in my mind it's SS. Halloran makes a decent one too. Pots the world is pretty open. My best producing calls the past two seasons were Schafers aluminum. Last year his atomic 13, started out well this year too til I got his sapele aluminum over aluminum n carried that. Got it mid season but the couple birds that heard it went home in the truck.
There's just a ton of great pot call makers though. Schafer n SS as mentioned, Mac, Lonzo, Platz, Dawkins, Halloran, just as a good starting point. Guess you oughta tell us what surface you want to use or what surface guys like n at least start there. No sense getting say two slates or something

West Augusta

STOP. PUT DOWN THE COMPUTER AND SLOWLY BACK UP.   :TooFunny:  :TooFunny:
There's no cure once the custom call bug bites.  Believe me.  :TooFunny:

If you must, pick a call that really strikes you, call the maker and have him run it for you.  Or just ask for their best combination.  Hard to beat the call makers favorite.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Life of Riley

Thanks for the replies thus far. The pot I own now is a Cody II glass. Replying to EZ I have been running the peg on this thing a lot. The reason I started this thread is to find which calls I should order now so I can practice up before next season. Plus I know from reading this forum some call makers have build times of many months. After I get my hot hen I'll have a slate and glass pot, what pot surface is best for playing in the rain?

Ozark870Hunter

My Yingling cast copper pot has called in multiple hens, hawks, coyotes and several toms since I got it this year. Halloran crystal mistress is my other must carry pot call.
I've come to realize I prefer a pot that can easily produce all the sounds of a hen. Cluck, purr, yelp and kee kee, and those two can.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

jed clampett

If you don't already have some custom strikers...i would get some of those as well..gives a single pot several different hens..I like one piece strikers but that's a personal preference..diamondwood..yellowheart...tulipwood..monkeywood..ipe..lots of good ones

KentuckyHeadhunter

Get your hands on an SS butternut/kwila field grade box call.  Don't worry about accumulating too many calls until you can master at least one.  The goal is to kill turkeys not fill up your vest with calls.  That comes later. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

MattinIdaho

Quote from: West Augusta on June 01, 2016, 08:49:38 PM
STOP. PUT DOWN THE COMPUTER AND SLOWLY BACK UP.   :TooFunny:  :TooFunny:
There's no cure once the custom call bug bites.  Believe me.  :TooFunny:

Amen brother!!!! :drool:

Bowguy

:toothy9:
Quote from: Life of Riley on June 01, 2016, 09:40:31 PM
Thanks for the replies thus far. The pot I own now is a Cody II glass. Replying to EZ I have been running the peg on this thing a lot. The reason I started this thread is to find which calls I should order now so I can practice up before next season. Plus I know from reading this forum some call makers have build times of many months. After I get my hot hen I'll have a slate and glass pot, what pot surface is best for playing in the rain?
Slate is not just bad in the rain, doesn't even do well when it's humid that's why I differ n don't normally recommend a slate for guys w limited calls. Yes it runs fairly easy but if it won't run its useless.
If you have a glass n slate already get an aluminum.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Bowguy on June 02, 2016, 07:23:16 AM
:toothy9:
Quote from: Life of Riley on June 01, 2016, 09:40:31 PM
Slate is not just bad in the rain, doesn't even do well when it's humid that's why I differ n don't normally recommend a slate for guys w limited calls. Yes it runs fairly easy but if it won't run its useless.
If you have a glass n slate already get an aluminum.
This is inly one of the reasons that I've steered clear of slate for years. Damp, humid days kill its effectiveness. Heck, just touching the playing surface with an oily hand will render it useless. I can't stand that. Also, until recently, I'd never had a slate that I felt had enough turkey in it to matter. Finally got a good one and I suppose it'll ride in a ziploc bag until it gets used in the field. I like this one enough to keep it.

I'll second the various playing surfaces though. Getting a good glass, crystal or aluminum with a waterproof striker will make all the difference on a wet day. I've got a tylersburg yelpers plexiglass striker that will work on slate when it's wet. It doesn't sound great when wet but it does at least make enough turkey to kill a bird.

OldSwamper

Proven calls for me, ones that have at least one turkey in the books, and calls that you can see all over this site is Halloran Crystal Mistress, Yingling copper, and Schaeffer Atomic 13.  My very favorite and a call responsible for 10+ turkeys is a crystal/slate 2-sider from a local guy here in NC named Eddie Wynne (no website).

Here is my best advice.  As mentioned earlier, get a call and play the devil out of it until you get used to how they operate (striker pressure, striker angle, hand grip on call, etc.).  Once you feel comfortable that you can make good turkey sounds, find a sporting show (for me it is the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh) where many turkey vendors will be, and go and play the devil out of every call they have.  trust me, you will not be the only one doing it.  I near drove myself crazy playing so much, but that is how I bought the Crystal Mistress.

As a side note, I would also recommend West Augusta's advice to turn and run before its too late.   ;D

slicksbeagles1

You have already received some good advise probably the best was to back up slowly and turn the computer of lol! It is very addictive when you get started. Under general forum section at the top you will see Unico 2017 if you can plan the trip and be there early Friday morning some of the best call makers in the country will be there you can meet them play the calls and talk turkey but, beware and take plenty of cash. The reason I suggest early is some sell out quick but, there will still be plenty of calls.