OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How does everyone store their box calls offseason?

Started by HFultzjr, June 01, 2016, 09:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

I usually just put mine away with the chalk still on. Next year, I'll remove the old chalk, apply new and "test". Was thinking about removing the old chalk before storing this year. Any opinions?

Spring Creek Calls

If you're truly going to store them until next season, I would wipe off the chalk on both lid and rails with a soft cloth if stored in a humid area. If kept cool, dry and out of the sun it may not be needed but would not hurt. I personally play my boxes weekly if not daily throughout the year, much to my wife's displeasure.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

wvmntnhick

Excellent idea. This is something I've never actually thought about. I play with them regularly right now but I'm sure as the summer wears on, it'll slack off. Only thing missing so far is a good spring creek box to round out the collection. We're going to be talking soon Mike.

eddie234

I wipe the chalk off, lid and rail. Put it in is storage pouch and put it with all my other calls in a plastic ammo can with a couple silicon gel things thrown in.

vt35mag

Quote from: wvmntnhick on June 01, 2016, 12:51:11 PM
Only thing missing so far is a good spring creek box to round out the collection. We're going to be talking soon Mike.

I got two short boxes in May from Mike, and they are all turkey.  Mahogany scratch box and Bloodwood/Butternut long box will be added to the arsenal late June/July.  The long box is supposed to go to my brother, but maybe not if I play it first!

wvmntnhick

I've got one of Mike's scratch box. I was used to running an SS scratcher and I'm not going to lie, it took me a minute to get over the learning curve. The angle difference in the calls is quite different. Once I figured the correct angle, it was all love man. Really like the sound. In fact, I'm thinking about carrying the scratchers and just turning my box call pouch into a water bottle pocket. Hahaha. I'm liking the sounds these things make and I'm almost of the mind to believe that you can get about the same volume out of the small scratch boxes as you can on the big boxes.

HFultzjr

Thanks for the tip.

My wife and family will be soooooooo glad when I put my calls away.
At least until I get them out again for the fall season......LOL

:fud:

SinGin

I put mine in a sock then store it in a tupperware container.

WillowRidgeCalls

I remove as much of the chalk as I can, by wiping it off with an old sweetshirt. Then remove any rubber bands or closers that hold the lids tight, place a piece of scotch brite under the lid and put in a gal Ziploc bag. Done that for years and have never had a problem with them changing sounds or play different.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Marc

On all my wood boxes, I wipe all the chalk off with scotch brite and a paper towl, then store them inside in my hunting dresser (along with my waterfowl calls)...

I also wash all my diaphragm calls that are in good condition with dish soap, lay them out to dry over-night and store them in light-proof storage containers in the fridge...  I make note of any calls that need to be replaced (and wait till a month before the season to order more)...

Then I crack open a beer, and cry...  Just a little...  At the sadness of having to wait another 6 months before another hunting season opens...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

West Augusta

After a trip to the Dollar store for a bunch of socks and big plastic storage tubs,  I put all my box calls and pot calls in socks and store them away in storage tubs where they are easy to get to.  I now have several LARGE tubs full of calls.  I have one for each type that helps locating a particular call.

I also carry my pot calls in socks while in my vest.  The extra padding keeps them from getting so banged up and also helps to keep them quiet as I walk along.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

HFultzjr

I like the sock idea.
I used to put mine in ziplock bags. Never had a problem while storing them, but sometimes when keeping them in my vest, had some minimum condensation issues. Even if I didn't seal them. Didn't breathe very well.
Socks it is along with a couple silica gel packs.
:OGturkeyhead:

mgm1955

tha bugman

I never put mine up...to do so would mean that the season would be over....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HFultzjr

If I didn't put mine away, the wife WOULD!
We all know what that means:
:newmascot:
I'd never find some again..........LOL
4 months a year is about tops for me.
October = Fall season
March - Early June = Spring season
Although I'm thinking of learning to use a mouth call........offseason practice......LOL!
:funnyturkey: