turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thank you ideas for Landowner?

Started by husker, May 15, 2016, 02:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Although I don't have any turkeys on my land I do have deer and I let guys hunt. The biggest thank you that I can get is someone offering to help out with the work. I usually turn them down with a "thanks for offering", but the fact that they offer a hand and are willing to says a lot. A bottle of good whiskey or a case of good beer is a close second though! LOL!!

redjones

One of the farmers that lets me deer hunt only wanted deer slim-jims,gave them to him for years,come to find out he didn't even eat them they went straight to his grandson.
Another older lady that let me hunt just wanted fish (bream),no fillets she wanted them gutted and scaled so she could pan fry them whole like her mom made them when she was growing up.
Another likes fall mushrooms,so I make it point to drop some off to him first batch I find.
A few years ago me and a buddy of mine knocked on a farmers door out west and he gave us permission to hunt for the week,and we had a great time.
So one day before heading home we stopped and talked to his wife and got his coat size and sent him a really nice carhartt coat,with a thank you card for christmas.
I think most landowners are happy for anything that shows you appreciate them letting you hunt.

Greg
Semper Fi

2eagles

I too believe it's the thought that counts. I've taken a grocery sack with a couple 2 liters of Pepsi and a few bags of chips. Something the whole family enjoys and rembers me.

renegade19

Guy lets me hunt deer and turkey on him.  I usually give his twin daughters $20 I tune gift cards at Christmas.  One year I mounted a fan display and gave to him.  He still talks about that.

renegade19

Another family used to let me hunt they really liked it when I fried up a bunch of crappie and delivered it to them.  That's always a win/win!

Tomfoolery

Boudin, cracklins, fresh shrimp/seafood. Community coffee. A lot of times when we go up north we bring them stuff they can't easily get up there.

Roost 1

One of my buddies loves......whiskey!!! So whiskey he gets!!!!

spaightlabs

Quote from: Tomfoolery on May 15, 2016, 09:50:32 PM
Boudin, cracklins, fresh shrimp/seafood. Community coffee. A lot of times when we go up north we bring them stuff they can't easily get up there.

I have a buddy that lost an amazing farm in KS to some southern boys who were offering boudin and shrimp.  Mighta been you guys.   ;D

Tomfoolery

Not us haha. That was for pheasant hunting. But making the trip north next year for turkeys with ice chest loaded.

Gooserbat

I've done a ham and the restaurant gift card is another good option.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

honker22

Quote from: Tomfoolery on May 15, 2016, 09:50:32 PM

Yep, if you are from Louisiana, you better bring some local seafood... It is expected of us.  My cousins from the north shore bring an ice chest slam packed with shrimp each time they come up for deer.  They get a free pass to kill any 2 deer they would like.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Chilly

I vacuum pack a few turkey breasts and fillet a bunch of fish caught from the land owners farm to thank him!!!  He loves getting his freezer filled up....
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Tomfoolery

Quote from: Chilly on May 16, 2016, 09:40:44 AM
I vacuum pack a few turkey breasts and fillet a bunch of fish caught from the land owners farm to thank him!!!  He loves getting his freezer filled up....
Yes sir. I'll just make a few extra trips to stock up on shrimp for the trip. I always have a few extra packs for bartering goods. Hard to beat fresh shrimp.

codym

If they are a drinker you can't beat a nice bottle of liquor, Christmas cards, and offering to help. We had an old rancher that used to let us work dogs on his land, he liked quail so we never shot any but the ground to train on was incredible. We never showed up without 2 bottles of black Jack Daniels and a few packs of cigars. Always sent him something at Christmas. He died, now a big corporation owns the ranch, probably will never set foot on that place again. Take care of the people that let you hunt, because there's very few left that will.

g8rvet

We cook gator meat, cheese grits and fried wild turkey every year for a farmer and his friends  in Canada every year where we duck hunt (we've done all kinds of cooks, but they ask for that every year).  We also keep him well supplied in what he calls "spotting fluid" (beer). 

In MS, we tend to take Florida things (cane syrup, oranges, orange blossom honey, locally made jams/jellies). 

I love the idea of the pocket knife.  That is like a flashlight, can always use another. 

Sounds like taking the time to find out about what they like, what you have access to and making the effort is the way to go. 

In my home range, I worked the ranchers cows every year to deer hunt his place.  Preg checked, vaccinated and dewormed them every year.  He passed and I quit deer hunting, but that was always a fun days work.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.