turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thank you ideas for Landowner?

Started by husker, May 15, 2016, 02:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

husker

Now that the end of my season in Nebraska is 2 weeks away, I've got a newbie question.  I've been fortunate to have a few landowners let me hunt their land.  They have all said they didn't want anything when I offered, but I'd like to do something to show my appreciation, and hopefully, stay in good graces for next year. 

Any advice on something to do for them?  I was thinking I couldn't go wrong with a gift card of some kind, but what's the right amount?  $25, $50?   I don't want to insult them but don't want to break the bank either.   Any recommendations are appreciated. 

Kywoodsman

Most years I get the land owners that let me hunt either a $25 gift card or a nice ham from a local store. They always seem to appreciate it and they always allow me back the next year. I don't think it has as much to do with the amount you spend as it does just showing some sign or gesture of appreciation. Kind of a good example of the, "it's the thought that counts", principal.

GobbleNut

A nice card or letter with a heartfelt expression of gratitude is a good place to start.  An offer to help out around the place for a day or two during the offseason is another nice addition.  If that is not practical, then a $50 gift card to a nice area restaurant,...or something similar,...included with the card or letter,...would be appropriate, I think. 

sbbow

As a land owner help is always nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

I always offer to help out. Neither of the guys that let me hunt have ever asked for any help but I try to check in with them periodically to see if they need anything.

spaightlabs

Honey Baked Ham.  Never met anyone who doesn't love 'em.

FL-Boss

wait until closer to next turkey season. A nice present / thank you gift around Christmas is nice.  It good to offer help on the farm every time you see him

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If they drink bourbon, I'll buy them a bottle of Booker's or I'll get them a $150.00 gift certificate to one of the nicer restaurants in the area.

You can't put a price on good hunting.  Especially when it's free.  Anytime I hear someone mention "not breaking the bank" I wonder if they've considered what lease prices are in their area and how much they might be paying if they had to lease that ground.  I also wonder if they've considered how much hunting contributes to their happiness and if $25.00 is an adequate representation of appreciation.

spaightlabs

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 15, 2016, 06:16:20 PM
If they drink bourbon, I'll buy them a bottle of Booker's or I'll get them a $150.00 gift certificate to one of the nicer restaurants in the area.

You can't put a price on good hunting.  Especially when it's free.  Anytime I hear someone mention "not breaking the bank" I wonder if they've considered what lease prices are in their area and how much they might be paying if they had to lease that ground.  I also wonder if they've considered how much hunting contributes to their happiness and if $25.00 is an adequate representation of appreciation.

Well said.

Ol' boy may let you hunt for free, but if someone walks in and offers him a thousand dollars you want him to be thinking, man, you know, old so and so gets me a nice honey baked ham fro Christmas every year and I sure appreciate that .

kjcamper

Even though the farms I hunt the landowner doesn't want anything I give them a 30 pack of their favorite beer and help around the farm. The ones that do not drink get a gift card and thank you cards plus I drop in on them to just talk.Just having someone new to bounce problems off or talk about daily life is all some people need to give them a nice lift. I do this even if I don't hunt their property that season.

Greg Massey

Give them a 25 dollar gift card and 5 dollars in lottery tickets. Everyone like to try and win something and you never know one might win 20, 50, 100, or more..lot of fun. That's what i do..

husker

Great ideas.  Appreciate the input.

maytom

I usually end up getting them a nice quality pocket knife. They will always have that and remember you afterwards.

MDSTRUTNRUT

Some of my landowners like wildgame so that what they get.  Snacksticks, bologna,  sweet cured deer ham an of course some fresh deer loin or roast.    Another likes wild turkey so a breast goes that way every year.   Flounder plentiful here so fillets often make it as a gift too but if the're  not into the wild thing then a restaurant gift card would be a pleaser for anybody.

spaightlabs

Quote from: maytom on May 15, 2016, 07:32:40 PM
I usually end up getting them a nice quality pocket knife. They will always have that and remember you afterwards.
Great suggestion and very thoughtful gift.