Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite turkey load of ALL time?????!!!!!!

Started by BINK McCARTY, May 06, 2016, 04:59:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

Farmboy27

Killed my first 5 or 6 birds with remington duplex 4x6. Guess out of sentiment they would be my favorite!  Most of the loads now days pattern way better. But they are the loads that are in my 870 this year. (Haven't killed a bird with this combo in 18 years or more!).

Tomcat655

Longshanks

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 06, 2016, 06:22:44 PM
Killed my first 5 or 6 birds with remington duplex 4x6. Guess out of sentiment they would be my favorite!  Most of the loads now days pattern way better. But they are the loads that are in my 870 this year. (Haven't killed a bird with this combo in 18 years or more!).

Killed allot of turkeys with the 4x6's out of my browning Citori. Still have three boxes.

Longshanks

Quote from: dirt road ninja on May 06, 2016, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: Longshanks on May 06, 2016, 11:23:14 AM
Shooting 270's to 330's in a 10 @ 40 with Hevi 7's has me scratching my head why folks would need to hand load turkey shells other than producing 20guage patterns for youth and hunters unable to shoot a 12 gauge.

Cause we can!!!

My favorite load this year was 2.25 ounces of TSS 9's out of my 12. If I was shooting factory loads I'd go back to the Hevi 13 2.25 ounce 7's.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone with that post. Guess it's just something I haven't got into or have the time to do. Have a friend that is going to give me some TSS #9's 20 gauge loads for my boy.

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Oldschoolguy

Federal Premium 12 ga 3" mag 2 oz load of copper plated #5 shot. Lethal, reasonable price and can find them at all the major sporting goods stores. Nuff said

yelpaholic

The original green heavy shot high velocity 3.5 inch Number 5 

lunghit

3" Hevi-13 2 oz #6 has been my favorite so far but I do plan to try some 7's.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 06, 2016, 06:22:44 PM

I used them back in the day. Also took my first with the 4X6's
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

BINK McCARTY

:z-guntootsmiley: Don't know all that much about TSS....does anyone commercially load them? It's my understanding they weigh 18G/CC opposed to the awesomely devastating Fed. HW @ 15 G/CC . Can someone give me some load advice on TSS please? 2 3/4", 3" , & 3 1/2" shells.

drenalinld

Quote from: Longshanks on May 06, 2016, 11:23:14 AM
I have seen amazing results for the last 25 years or so with folks hand loading lead, nickel plated lead, copper plated lead and Hevi shot.  Amazing patterns that were far beyond factory shells at the time.  The new craze is TSS and 20guages. I have only shot factory loads and I haven't felt the need to hand load. Too much money and time to get into loading. Have shot some hand loads and the results were inconsistent. The factory loads produced now are far beyond what is needed to harvest turkeys and easy to purchase. Shooting 270's to 330's in a 10 @ 40 with Hevi 7's has me scratching my head why folks would need to hand load turkey shells other than producing 20guage patterns for youth and hunters unable to shoot a 12 gauge.

An automatic 20 ga weighs 5.5 lbs in adult size and in my experience factory loads cannot touch consistency I get with handloads. I can carry and handle a 10 or 3.5" 12 but sure enjoy carrying that lightweight 20.

drenalinld

My favorite factory load was the Winchester XR HD 3.5" #6. They freaking smashed gobblers.

Roost 1

Lead

Winchester high velocity 3 1/2" 5s
Longbeard 3 1/2" 4s... The absolute best lead shell ever in my opinion

Hevi-shot

Remington hevi-shot magnum 3 1/2" 5s the best hevi-shot load in my opinion

TSS

Big Stubby XL 9s has been a total game changer in the 20ga world!!

Manoflaw

I'm sure I don't get the performance you guys do, but my favorite shells are the Kent #5s. The first gun I had was a 3 in 870 with a cheap undertaker choke and it's throws a great pattern with that combination. That being said, I don't take many 40 yard shots where I hunt.