Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Please know what you're shooting at!!!!!

Started by Fieldturkey, April 30, 2016, 04:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

Quote from: THattaway on May 02, 2016, 09:05:49 AM

And, I've had a run in with an unethical hunter the last two seasons near Fairforest rifle range in South Carolina on public land. The jack leg stalks gobbling toms (and hunters hen calling) and has no problem walking right in front of you (in sight) stalking toms. Drives a burgandy dodge 4 door type pickup with a bed cover same color, it's a Dakota I believe. That fellow is the type you expect to get shot, not someone walking out of the woods on private land.

But his actions are legal so who are we to judge how he hunts,
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

TauntoHawk

no excuses for that, beyond an accident that's attempted murder as far as I'm concerned

On a side not this reaping craze is insane people stalking birds with fans infront of their faces, it horrifying how dangerous that is and they glorify it as a "secret" weapon tactic on TV. Its legal and its moronic, I feel strongly because my father does it and I am truly afraid he will be shot doing this, nothing to do with old school blah blah blah its just simply not safe for the individual.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SteelerFan

Hunter mistaken for turkey, shot with crossbow
Associated Press 9:54 a.m. EDT May 2, 2016
635977793787058540-tURKEY-CROSSING-OHJY102.jpg
(Photo: AP)

LIBERTY TOWNSHIP, Mich. — Authorities say a 61-year-old Michigan hunter was shot in the arm with a crossbow after a fellow hunter apparently mistook him for a turkey.

The Jackson County sheriff's department says the man was shot early Sunday in the left arm while hunting on private land in Liberty Township. The Jackson Citizen Patriot reports he was taken to a hospital and was expected to survive.

The sheriff's department says the 51-year-old Jackson man who shot him is expected to face charges.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/05/02/hunter-mistaken-turkey-shot-crossbow/83817508/

MDSTRUTNRUT

very good wake up  thread but sad, at least in the OP the victim survived

Farmboy27

Quote from: silvestris on May 02, 2016, 09:30:24 AM

And, I've had a run in with an unethical hunter the last two seasons near Fairforest rifle range in South Carolina on public land. The jack leg stalks gobbling toms (and hunters hen calling) and has no problem walking right in front of you (in sight) stalking toms. Drives a burgandy dodge 4 door type pickup with a bed cover same color, it's a Dakota I believe. That fellow is the type you expect to get shot, not someone walking out of the woods on private land.

That all depends. Here in PA his actions would not be legal as the law states "hunting by calling only, no stalking.

fallhnt

I think you had to wear orange at one time in PA too while moving. So lucky that the hunter didn't get hit in the eye with shot too.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bill Cooksey

Glad the victim in the OP is going to be alright. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen even more often. The eyes often see what the brain is telling them to see. Combine environmental factors with heightened adrenaline, and inexcusable accidents sometimes occur. Often, the responsible party would have agreed with all here saying "no excuse" had you asked him five minutes before the trigger was pulled.

Everyone is subject to falling victim (both as shooter and victim). And private land could make it worse. On public we expect to encounter other hunters. On private we often, wrongly, believe we are the only ones there because a property line says so. Most of us would be shocked to learn just how often poachers hunt on our exclusive private hunting spots. We would all do well to have a mindset of never thinking we are alone in the woods.

THattaway

Quote from: silvestris on May 02, 2016, 09:30:24 AM

Yes it's public land and yes he has a right to hunt wherever he wants with a legal permit. I told him as much when I confronted him last season. I had been set up for an hour, heard him stalking me from behind so I froze till I could see him clearly stalking my hen decoy out front. I then spoke up in an audible voice and announced my presence. He left up a ridge and out of sight. 30 minutes later I called in a strutting tom to 80 yards and he folded up and left for no apparent reason. I gave it another 30 minutes of calling, got up and eased forward to try again. Found jack leg had crawled to a tree 75 yards directly in front of me through cane. I guess I was more upset that he had knowingly put himself in a position where I might have sprayed him had the tom come in. My comments to him were "you have every right to hunt here but know this...had you been in my shoes I would have gone the other way and left you be."

This year he walked up 15' behind me, I spoke again and nicely told him I was hunting the area. He just circled me and slipped further along the ridge I was on, a box out attempt. I walked along about 100 yards out for a ways till he got the message, flipped me off and headed out of the drainage. My right to hunt where I want I figure. After that I called in 4 jakes and to ease my ire I jumped up and ran them off across the bottoms. Who is he or you to judge my legal actions? LOL! Jack leg needs to get his own medicine so maybe he can better understand his actions.

FWIW, I've run up on several hunters in my time but it's been purely by accident. When I realized someone else was there, or heard hen calling I suspected was someone else, I WENT THE OTHER WAY. No turkey is worth getting shot over or shooting someone over.

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles