Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Please know what you're shooting at!!!!!

Started by Fieldturkey, April 30, 2016, 04:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

OMG---prayers for the hunter that got shot. Everyone is right- this should never happen. I just keep thinking to myself- whatever I see or hear could be another hunter. I almost got shot in the Fall woods many years ago. I was just walking along very slowly and stated on down a ridge and there was another hunter on his belly- military style with shotgun pointed at me as I came over the ridge and into sight. TG- he held off. He was shook up too and we quickly left each other!

RutnNStrutn

I've seen some real idiots out in the woods. Sorry to hear of this. Hope your family member is going to be OK.

Jroddc

What a shame... Just don't understand how there could even be a case of mistaken identity between a man walking and a turkey especially at 30 yards.

ilbucksndux

Sorry to hear about your family member and we wish him a quick recovery.....................Several years ago here close to home there was a guy that shot his buddy,with a bow , because he thought he was a turkey.Sadly that young man didnt make it.
Gary Bartlow

Farmboy27

I personally know 4 guys who have been shot while turkey hunting. One fellow got shot, dropped behind a log and yelled, and then got shot again!  Another fellow still has a few shot lodged real close to his heart. He was shot at 20 yards while wearing an orange hat!  I love this sport but there is never a day in the woods that stuff like this isn't in the back of my mind. I will never be able to understand how a man can be mistaken for a turkey.

Strick9

So sorry to hear this and prayers sent for a speedy and full recovery. Keep us posted as the details unfold.

I take a fair amount of young hunters and like me when I was young the adrenaline builds to an almost unbearable level when you "think" you here something walking in... I have had kids completely shaking and breathing like a locomotive. Its tough to even calm them down but I make it perfectly clear that they are not to shoot until I give the word period.

Again , prayers sent and so glad he has made it so far!
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Tunaguy

Can't understand it but it still happens. Hope your friend is alright.
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Cottonmouth

Prayers sent out to him. It amazes me how desperate some guys are to come home with a gobbler. It's a wonder anybody survives a shot from these hard hitting, tight shooting guns these days.

Kylongspur88

Scary stuff. Happens far too often. Prayers for you and yours.

TRG3

Quote from: Farmboy27 on May 01, 2016, 08:17:08 PM
I personally know 4 guys who have been shot while turkey hunting. One fellow got shot, dropped behind a log and yelled, and then got shot again!  Another fellow still has a few shot lodged real close to his heart. He was shot at 20 yards while wearing an orange hat!  I love this sport but there is never a day in the woods that stuff like this isn't in the back of my mind. I will never be able to understand how a man can be mistaken for a turkey.
[/quote
If you can get shot at close range while wearing an orange hat, there's not much more you can do to protect yourself short of staying home or give up hunting! Having said all of that, I don't plan to stay home or give up hunting, but I've made myself a note for next spring to put an orange hat in my turkey gear to wear both IN and OUT of the turkey woods.

THattaway

Prayers sent for a full recovery. No excuse in not identifying the target before shooting, period. I'd suspect there is more to the story such as the shooter heard walking coming to calling (not saying he heard the calling), seeing the flesh color of the hunter's face maybe coming up over a rise through cover. Again, no excuse for shooting without identifying the target. The lesson here for all of us should be even on private land another unknown hunter is subject to showing up with a loaded weapon.

And, I've had a run in with an unethical hunter the last two seasons near Fairforest rifle range in South Carolina on public land. The jack leg stalks gobbling toms (and hunters hen calling) and has no problem walking right in front of you (in sight) stalking toms. Drives a burgandy dodge 4 door type pickup with a bed cover same color, it's a Dakota I believe. That fellow is the type you expect to get shot, not someone walking out of the woods on private land.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

trkehunr93

Foolish!! Just plain foolish, no excuse what so ever for something like this to ever happen.  I have yet to see a 6 foot tall wild turkey wearing camo while hunting.  All hunting rights and privileges should be revoked and this individual should be made to speak to hunter education classes for the remainder of his life about what he did and how foolish and stupid and careless it was. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

THERES NO EXCUSE

I HOPE EVERYTHING ENDS UP WELL
                                 :bible:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

RichieD

Very sorry to hear about this.   My Prayers and Wishes for fast recovery.   Spring Turkey hunting is to me the most exciting hunting season of the year.   An opportunity to share great stories and exciting hunts.   However there are times when there are stories of hunters getting shot (and it happens every year unfortunately) that brings us back to how important it is to identify your target no excuses!  Safety is the utmost priority no spring gobbler no matter how long his beard, or how long his spurs are is worth taking an unethical shot period.
Hunt Safely and be champions to safety to other turkey hunters it can not be talked about enough.