Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Please know what you're shooting at!!!!!

Started by Fieldturkey, April 30, 2016, 04:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmntnhick

This is a very bad situation. As stated, not real sure how someone mistakes a walking man for a turkey. As for someone shooting a decoy, I can totally see how it happens. Decoys are more lifelike today than ever before. Someone is walking along, sees a strutter as they turn the corner and the brain goes on autopilot. If the hunter is concealed well, the shooter has no clue that he was even there. It happens. It's sad but it happens. Not saying it's right. Not saying it can't be avoided but I can see where it happens. It's a shame for sure. Very sorry to hear of the negligent act. I hope he makes a full recovery.

2eagles

Last week an Iowa hunter was shot in the face by a member of his own hunting party.
He didn't live.   :jesus-cross:

catman529

Dang, thought I was bad for shooting a jake instead of a tom. Hope he recovers well and hope people learn from it and think twice before shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ihuntoldschool

Decoys look like real turkeys.  Those strutter decoys look a lot like the real thing.

Ihuntoldschool

But a man looks nothing like a turkey; thats terrible.

Bowguy

:mycross:
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 30, 2016, 06:54:35 PM
Decoys look like real turkeys.  Those strutter decoys look a lot like the real thing.
That's true but irrelevant if guys don't stalk sounds n learn to call

yelpy

Quote from: Fieldturkey on April 30, 2016, 06:27:37 PM
Ok guys so this is what happened. He was huntin private land. Had a group of three hunters come in behind him and he didn't know it. As he was WALKING OUT one of the guys shot him straight on in the face and chest from 30 yds. I can't for the life of me understand how you would mistake a grown man walking for a turkey. Good new is he is going to make it. He's eat up with pellets but alive. No vital organs penetrated. I'll be wearing orange from now on when waking in and out. Thanks for the prayers everyone. Stay safe

Prayer going out to him!!! That had to hurt terrible.. Whom ever shot him can't be in there right mind. No way!!! I am very sorry to hear this and hope he heals up quick. I also hope that the person who did this gets what they have coming!

Was this in PA?

Gooserbat

30 yards and someone mistook him for a turkey?  Sounds far fetched and "someone" sounds like they need to go before a judge. 

Accidents happen but this is to crazy.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Fieldturkey

It is crazy to say the least. Game wardens were there when with the paramedics when he got out and at the hospital when he arrived. We will see what happens

Marc

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 30, 2016, 06:35:39 PM
As for someone shooting a decoy, I can totally see how it happens. Decoys are more lifelike today than ever before. Someone is walking along, sees a strutter as they turn the corner and the brain goes on autopilot. If the hunter is concealed well, the shooter has no clue that he was even there. It happens. It's sad but it happens. Not saying it's right. Not saying it can't be avoided but I can see where it happens. It's a shame for sure. Very sorry to hear of the negligent act. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Yes, those decoys are extremely realistic...  A little breeze giving motion to one of those realistic decoys and I think a good percentage of hunters might take that shot...

I was watching my Avian jake in the breeze, and it struck me how realistic it was.  I could easily see someone making a split decision/mistake on one of these decoys, especially with a breeze and some movement.

I am generally hunting private property (that nobody else should be hunting), but I am still careful when setting up my jake.  I try to set up my decoys, so that they are not lined up with the direction that someone would most likely walk in from.

I would advocate that muzzle control and target identification are the two most important aspects of gun and hunting safety.  The shooter and the person being shot have to live the rest of their lives with any mistakes.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Marc on May 01, 2016, 12:28:20 AM
Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 30, 2016, 06:35:39 PM
As for someone shooting a decoy, I can totally see how it happens. Decoys are more lifelike today than ever before. Someone is walking along, sees a strutter as they turn the corner and the brain goes on autopilot. If the hunter is concealed well, the shooter has no clue that he was even there. It happens. It's sad but it happens. Not saying it's right. Not saying it can't be avoided but I can see where it happens. It's a shame for sure. Very sorry to hear of the negligent act. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Yes, those decoys are extremely realistic...  A little breeze giving motion to one of those realistic decoys and I think a good percentage of hunters might take that shot...

I was watching my Avian jake in the breeze, and it struck me how realistic it was.  I could easily see someone making a split decision/mistake on one of these decoys, especially with a breeze and some movement.

I am generally hunting private property (that nobody else should be hunting), but I am still careful when setting up my jake.  I try to set up my decoys, so that they are not lined up with the direction that someone would most likely walk in from.

I would advocate that muzzle control and target identification are the two most important aspects of gun and hunting safety.  The shooter and the person being shot have to live the rest of their lives with any mistakes.

This is absolutely true,...and in my opinion, the use of gobbler decoys in situations where the hunter does not have a long, clear view of what lies directly on the other side of their decoy is putting themselves in the most dangerous situation in turkey hunting.  For those of you that use them, NEVER set your decoy such that you cannot see everything going on within shotgun range directly down-range from your decoy.

g8rvet

Very sorry and prayers sent.  Hope he recovers well physically and emotionally too.  Think about the trauma of getting shot - praying that ends quickly. 

30 yards?  Charges should be filed. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

pappy

Prayers for the family .... I know your pain and your confusion as My father was shot in the face by his best friend while turkey hunting years back. Dad was calling, sitting at the base of an oak tree, his friend hear the sound and shot....that is where dumb met dumber...never ever shoot at sound...dad saw him raise his shotgun, yep he was that close....and threw his arm up in time to cover most of his face, but lost his left eye and peppered his left side of his face something bad. His friend come running and screaming..not out of excitement of a downed bird, but out of fear in that he just shot his best friend....dad told him he was alright except that he couldn't see out of his eye, at that moment his friend took and wrapped his shotgun around the oak tree ....and vowed never to go hunting again. Dad told him to get a grip and take him the the doctor.... after everything settled down, they ended up going the next season ... dad called...Gene watched....bird came ...Gene shot...dad jumped up and hugged him and they remained friends till they both passed.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

renegade19

I can't imagine how that's possible.  I sometimes use a strutter decoy and NEVER carry it unless it's zipped in a bag.  I also make sure I never have anything along that is blue, red, or white.  Maybe I'm paranoid?  All that aside, best of wishes and prayers to the hunter that got shot.   :cross2:

mgm1955

No excuse. First rule of hunting is identify your target before you pull the trigger. No exceptions!!