OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Please know what you're shooting at!!!!!

Started by Fieldturkey, April 30, 2016, 04:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fieldturkey

Had a family member get shot in the face while hunting this morning. Still getting all the details but he's alive.  From what I can gather the other hunter either shot at his decoy and he was in line or he thought he was a turkey.  This should never happen

Spitten and drummen

Wow just wow. That's terrible.  Prayers for the man shot and his family
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Marc

Thoughts and prayers to the family...

Please keep us updated...  I am sure you are curious as we are, as to how something like this could happen.

Most activities we live and learn from our mistakes.  Unfortunately when dealing with guns, a small mistake can have huge consequences...  And because of such, there really are no "small" mistakes when it comes to gun safety.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

guesswho

I hope the hunter will be ok. 

No excuse.   Period!  The shooter should face charges and lose the right to own or possess a firearm.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

They should charge people for these "accidents". It's not an accident to shoot someone! People need to stop sneaking up on dekes or sounds n learn to call birds. Hope they got the guy n take his license!
Also wanna offer prayers

dutch@fx4

Wow.here is Ontario if you can't see s beard you can't shoot and it still happens ever year. It is a shame.and is something that should never happen. Best if luck to you friend. Dutch

tomstopper

Quote from: Bowguy on April 30, 2016, 04:29:02 PM
They should charge people for these "accidents". It's not an accident to shoot someone! People need to stop sneaking up on dekes or sounds n learn to call birds. Hope they got the guy n take his license!
Also wanna offer prayers
I agree. I still don't know how one mistakes decoys as the real thing. When I have walked in on others setups on accident, I can always tell that they aren't real. Look for them to move naturally. I have yet to see a decoy that did. Prayers sent for your family member and all of his family. God Bless.

DawgsFan1

I hate to hear about this. As others have said there is no excuse for this happening. You absolutely have to know what you are shooting at.
Will be praying for him and his family.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Happy

That is really tragic and should never happen. Prayers sent.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

chatterbox

No animal is worth taking someone's life over. Period.
We all have the responsibility of knowing our target and what lies beyond.
I have hunted since I was a teenager, and only within the last few years hunted wild turkey. I have come upon many setups and it is obvious that it's a decoy spread.
When I hunt, I treat every hen yelp as though it's another hunter, until I have visual confirmation, to the contrary.
These things should never, ever happen, and I agree with Ronnie. If you wound or kill another hunter, you should loose your right to own firearms, never mind hunt ever again.

stinkpickle

357MAGNOLE

Sorry to hear man and hopefully ding dong responsible is charged accordingly. I can't understand ever, shooting at something when you aren't sure what it is.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Fieldturkey

Ok guys so this is what happened. He was huntin private land. Had a group of three hunters come in behind him and he didn't know it. As he was WALKING OUT one of the guys shot him straight on in the face and chest from 30 yds. I can't for the life of me understand how you would mistake a grown man walking for a turkey. Good new is he is going to make it. He's eat up with pellets but alive. No vital organs penetrated. I'll be wearing orange from now on when waking in and out. Thanks for the prayers everyone. Stay safe

Greg Massey

I hope he's okay and i hope it never happens to anyone else..At my place we have a hunting sign in sheet and we have the farm divided up into 6 different areas to turkey hunt, whatever area you pick that morning is up to first come on the sign in sheet. We know not to come over on someone else or that area..