OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

So you don't hunt the same way I do?

Started by 2eagles, April 30, 2016, 04:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

I finally downloaded the April edition of American Hunter magazine. Of course I went straight to the turkey hunting story. First two paragraphs tell how hunters in different areas hunt differently depending on species hunted and geography. Something to think about when you say "that's not how I hunt". I am NOT a great turkey hunter so I'm not going to lecture guys that have shot many more birds than I have, BUT. Your way is not the only way. Everything else isn't wrong. I hunt public ground in Iowa. Some days I sit in a blind. Some I take my gobbler lounger. Sometimes I sit on the cushion attached to my vest. Oh no! Some guys don't like vests. Ok, last bird I shot I wasn't wearing my vest.   :lol:  I usually use a decoy. Sometimes three. I don't even own snake boots, but sometimes I wear hip boots. Different strokes!  :z-twocents:

guesswho

American Hunter magazine?   That's not what I read.  Your not reading the right magazine!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

chatterbox

Quote from: guesswho on April 30, 2016, 04:25:26 PM
American Hunter magazine?   That's not what I read.  Your not reading the right magazine!
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

barry

I hunt from a wheelchair!
Let's see those writers do it ''my way''

Happy

Barry, I have utmost respect for guys like you. It would be so easy to just roll over and complain about how difficult things are but you dont. Keep on keepin on and the best of luck to you.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

snapper1982

The biggest divider I see these days is reaping. So what if someone doesnt like it. They dont have to do it. They all make the same claim that it is dangerous. Turkey hunting is dangerous. How many people have been shot from calling or walking in the woods? There has been hunting "accidents" for long before reaping gained popularity. Just this year there has been many incidents and yet none of those were from reaping. So should we stop using calls? Should we never walk? Those same guys against reaping are ok with calling and walking in the woods and yet it is more dangerous than reaping.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

2eagles

So you're not an NRA member? Shame on you! Just who is protecting your 2A rights? The NRA isn't always right, but they are always fighting for your rights.

:TooFunny: I read your reply again. You were being a smarty pants.  :TooFunny:

wvmntnhick

Quote from: 2eagles on April 30, 2016, 06:31:03 PM

So you're not an NRA member? Shame on you! Just who is protecting your 2A rights? The NRA isn't always right, but they are always fighting for your rights.

I believe his reference was to the lack of that article in North American Hunter. But, I can't say for sure as I've not read it yet. Just got the new one yesterday. Could also be that American Hunter (dispensed with an NRA membership) and North American Hunter are two different publications.

Greg Massey

I feel it's time we let this rest and just enjoy the forum and enjoy turkey hunting. This day and time with all of this political stuff going on and people not wanting us to even own a gun or be able to take wild game we need to stick together as hunter reguardless how we want to hunt these birds. Numbers are a lot better than a few to protect our hunting heritage.

catman529

I hunt old school 95% of the time. Find a bird, set up and call him in.

I've never had a vest, mainly because I dont want one and never saw the need - entirely personal preference.

I will occasionally resort to stalking and ambushing if I've been hunting hard and the birds aren't cooperating.

Killing one from behind a tail fan is on my bucket list, but there's only a couple of private fields I feel safe doing it. I imagine it's a huge rush, and I want to get it on video too.

Decoys aren't my thing, but I'm not gonna knock someone who uses them. They are pretty effective sometimes.

I also hate blinds, because of limited mobility. Last time I hunted out of one, I got rained on for 6 hours, no birds showed up, haven't used it since.

The people who trash talk other hunters type of hunting are the ones that hunt the same way I prefer to hunt, but I don't get their adamant disdain for their fellow hunter's methods.

If you're gonna talk so much crap about someone's hunting method, go out and say it to the face of the guys who shoot from the road, kill them out of season, ignore the bag limits, ride their boat up to shore and shoot them from the roost, pour corn out on public land where it's illegal, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Me, a smarty pants?   I guess that's a possibility ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on April 30, 2016, 07:04:06 PM
Me, a smarty pants?   I guess that's a possibility ;D
Guys reguardless let's be turkey hunter first.

Farmboy27

My cousin killed a dandy today on opening day here in PA. (11 3/4" beard 1 3/8" spurs). He's not much of a caller and really doesn't try to be. But he patterned this bird and knew where he'd be after fly down. He waited for him and killed him. Never called. Not the way I'd hunt but I was still very happy for him. He put the time in scouting and knew where to set up. Can't hate him for that!