OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rate Your Season

Started by R AJ, April 24, 2016, 11:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

In Lower Alabama I rate my season as pretty bad. Rain, wind, extra warm February all contributed but birds are not here guys. We prescribe burn , plant chufa, clover, wheat, but they are in a decline in my opinion.

More hogs, and not so many coyotes but they are present. It has been going down hill for the past three years.
If it keeps up I will be forced to slay bass, bream and crappie and drop the habit I have had since I was 14 in 1962.

Marc

Pretty tough season here...  I managed to luck into a bird early on, but due to the drought, we have a pretty old population of birds (counting this season, I have not seen a jake in three seasons).

We have pretty optimal nesting conditions currently, and I would guess we will see a few jakes next year, with some nice 2 year-old toms the year after...  If we have good spring conditions next year things will pick up pretty good (it seems to me that turkey populations can fluctuate fairly drastically in short order with good or bad conditions).

Water...  Too much is not good, not enough is even worse.

I will say this, hunting tougher conditions has improved my hunting skills and the desire to improve them (hence joining this site).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Cleveland48

Has been tough season here in Northeast Mississippi also. Managed to get 2 gobblers this season but it's been tough. Gobbling has been very sporadic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ishi

Last year it was very tough here. This year two birds in 12 hours. Amazing on how every year is so different.
The Spirit Lives On

Tail Feathers

Locally, my season has been great!
Many counties in my area have closed due to declining populations of birds.  My area is booming, I almost always hear three or four gobblers from a single listening post.  Last year I heard 11 from one spot on the same morning.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Bill Cooksey

Only complaint I have is only going twice plus a youth day with my son. Two dead birds and a miss. Haven't hunted past eight. I kind of stumbled onto a sliver of overlooked public ground. But, a lot of folks have been crying the blues. Our population is declining. Hoping for dry and warm for the remainder of spring.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Mine has been a 5 star season.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

bullhead

Pretty good. Spot I got permission on and have been scouting I see about 8-14 toms in a field every day I scout. Hope i get to that spot this week for the first time! Only hunted one day. Struggled to kill one but we're on birds all day. Killed one in the eve. Population is about same as past few years. Maybe even up a little. In wisconsin btw

Tennessee Lead

My only complaint is lack of opportunity to hunt.
Only have Saturday mornings. I've been 4 times killed 2 and blew my chance at #3 Saturday morning. I didn't set up where I should have and it cost me a bird. Got him to 60 yards and enjoyed the show. If I had set up where my gut said to I'd carried him out.

Spitten and drummen

The first 2 weeks was great. Heard at least half a dozen gobbling daily. Killed one , missed one and let one walk. Last 3 weeks are the worst I have seen in the last several years. Heard a couple but nothing wanted to play. I think alot of it is due to a couple first year members on my lease. They hunted almost everyday and run and gun on our 1300 acres. They shot at a couple way farther than they should have , absolutely hammered them with aggressive calling , spooked them and busted many off their roost. I kill my limit there yearly , but this year I won't. Also the weather has been less than ideal the entire season. Only a handful of calm , mild sunny days. At least I got to hunt. I'm really trying to get these 2 clowns gone. We have a total of 6 turkey members max and we have all killed birds the last 8 years until this one.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

wmn2

My season on public opened 2 weeks after private lands. Heard a decent amount of gobbling, but lately they shut up when they fly down. This is my very first season so to be able to set up near them has been a learning experience. I missed a gobbler my first day out due to a couple poor decisions but I won't ever make those mistakes again. Seeing a gobbler strut and gobble at my decoys, missed shot or not, is a win in my book.

silvestris

For the most part, Great.  Called one for a friend's son.  Called one a quarter mile to 60 steps for the father on what we both agreed was maybe our most exciting call even though no trigger was pulled.  Called one for my son.  Biggest disappointment was failing to get one for my grandson and pulling my thigh muscle in quicksand going to a gobbler on the first of the only two days I carried a gun.  The next day I declined to go in the bottom to a gobbler as I doubted I could get out with an extra twenty pounds.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

wvmntnhick

In the infamous words of Hoyt, "Not to goooood!"

Called two birds to within spitting distance of my niece on youth day. That's been the highlight. Had one rooster 45 yards in front of me. My fault for getting that close but didn't realize he was right there. Birds gobbled for a few minutes after fly down and then all was fairly quiet the rest of the day. Similar thing the next day. Birds flew down and not a peep afterwards. Totally disappointing. Set up in a field that's typically dynamite yesterday. Not a single bird on that side of the farm. Unfortunately, someone was hunting the other side of the farm and we couldn't go to the few we heard in the distance. Apparently, they flew across the line when they did eave the roost anyway so that was that. Finally got two birds to play but they never materialized. Had them coming then they went the other way. I'm guessing some hens got to them and led them off but they never did enter the field. Could be worse though. Could be stuck at work instead.

perrytrails

Managed to take a nice 2 year old the first week. 4 out of 7 days I never heard a gobble.

B-  mostly because I've really only worked 2 birds the entire week.

3 weeks left but my hunting days will be limited.
My B-  could drastically change.

Good luck, hope your season turns into A+

Edited: Took my second bird on the 27th. Caught him by himself in a field.
This bird is another 2 year old.

Change my rating to A+

Jbird22

This has been the worst season I've ever had here in South MS. Our #'s are as low as I've ever seen them and have NOT heard a single gobble in my home county. Called one up for my buddy on his lease the first morning I stepped in the woods. I missed my opportunity on doubling up with him, shot was too thick. It has gone downhill since. I traveled a good bit to some public land ~ 2 hrs. away but never was able to get one in gun range. I have until the 1st to get it done but think I'm done for this season honestly. I'm tired of driving so much and am pretty frustrated that I can't hear one on my old stomping grounds.