OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

For all the fly fishermen!!!

Started by sulpher turk, April 12, 2016, 05:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sulpher turk

My wife just got me a new ORVIS HELIOS 2 flyrod 10' 5-wt tip flex! It is one of the lightest rods i've ever held. Compairing it to my SAGE ONE.

Marc

I have actually come to enjoy Orvis rods...  I have a salt-water #6 wt T-3, and a very light #3 wt T-3, and I love them both.  That #6 works well for bass and steelhead and I have been surprised with the bulky flies I can cast with that rod.  The #3 is just a fun rod for small stream fishing, but easily casts some of the larger stimulators and attractors I throw for those eager fish.

And, I do not believe there is a better reel for the money than the BattenKill.  Simple reel that has never failed (which I cannot say about my more expensive reels).

Avoid their waders though...  Had poor luck with mine.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

eddie234

I bought two cabelas fly rods last year and the accessories to start fly fishing. I've practiced in the back yard and am hoping to get on the water soon. After I become proficient ill probably get a nice high end rod.

Ozark870Hunter

I'm so spoiled. My several private turkey properties are close proximity to Montauk trout park. And turkey hunting stops at 1 in MO. Here's a pic from Saturday after the morning youth turkey hunt. I'm using a St. Croix Imperial 9.5' 5wt with a Cabelas RLS+ reel. I spend too much on turkey calls to afford a fancy Helios. Nice rod.
Bottomland camo with waiders on! Can it get any better?
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

Hookinembig

wvmntnhick

Parents got me a cabelas 3 forks last year for birthday. It's a good set up but I've yet to use it. Used a reddington crosswater for several years. Really liked it. I blow too much money elsewhere to get high end fly fishing gear though. Used an scientific anglers rod for years until the blowout deal on the reddington.

Hankyorke

Quote from: Ozark870Hunter on April 12, 2016, 06:38:13 PM
I'm so spoiled. My several private turkey properties are close proximity to Montauk trout park. And turkey hunting stops at 1 in MO. Here's a pic from Saturday after the morning youth turkey hunt. I'm using a St. Croix Imperial 9.5' 5wt with a Cabelas RLS+ reel. I spend too much on turkey calls to afford a fancy Helios. Nice rod.

Do they still give out "I released a lunker..." patches?  I used to spend at least 4 days a month fishing Montauk & Bennett.

sulpher turk

I actually have a pair of the silver sonic guide waders.So far no problems with them. Typically we float though.

sulpher turk

For the money the imperial is a realy good fast action rod. Cant go wrong with a bvk either.

Ozark870Hunter

Quote from: Hankyorke on April 12, 2016, 07:26:08 PM
Quote from: Ozark870Hunter on April 12, 2016, 06:38:13 PM

Do they still give out "I released a lunker..." patches?  I used to spend at least 4 days a month fishing Montauk & Bennett.
Yes they still give out the patch. I actually caught and released a 4 lb'er or so last yr.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms

Ozark870Hunter

I like my Imperial. It's served me well the last few years.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms

Marc

Quote from: sulpher turk on April 12, 2016, 05:16:06 PM
My wife just got me a new ORVIS HELIOS 2 flyrod 10' 5-wt tip flex! It is one of the lightest rods i've ever held. Compairing it to my SAGE ONE.
Just noticed you went with the tip flex...  I am thinking about the mid-flex myself.  I have found it easier to cast a tip-flex, but controlling line on the water seems easier to me with a mid-flex...  But I am still torn.

Why did you go with the tip flex as opposed to the mid-flex?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I bought my wife an 8.5' 4 WT Imperial for Christmas.  Very nice rod.  My favorite dry fly rod is a Thomas and Thomas Special Dry Fly made in the 80s, which I had to really scrimp and save for as a poor college kid.

eddie234

This was my haul this past weekend.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Ozark870Hunter

Nice!
I'll be doing plenty of trout and bass fishing this next week.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms