turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

For all the fly fishermen!!!

Started by sulpher turk, April 12, 2016, 05:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sulpher turk

I just like the action of the tip flex faster for me!

sulpher turk

Its realy prefrence of what type of flies your using ect. To me the tip flex is more responsive. Fits my style better.

kjnengr

Silly guys, this is what you are supposed to fly fish for.

Ozark870Hunter

United Front Armory
Custom built firearms
Top quality cerakote applications
https://www.facebook.com/UnitedFrontArmory/

WildTigerTrout

I flyfish for trout only but I believe that is a Redfish.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Ozark870Hunter

I think you're right. Never chased saltwater/brackish fish on the fly...yet.
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms

kevin2

I love my Helios. BEST fly rod by far I've ever owned. NO comparison. Like a super light weight canon!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

kjnengr

Quote from: Ozark870Hunter on April 14, 2016, 05:35:14 PM
Nice carp! What weight rod?

Yeah, as the others have said, it is a redfish.  I caught that one on a 7wt TFO TiCr that I wrapped myself.  We may not have that many turkeys down here, but we make up for it with the inshore fishing.

dantheman

Quote from: kjnengr on April 15, 2016, 09:13:11 AM

Yeah, as the others have said, it is a redfish.  I caught that one on a 7wt TFO TiCr that I wrapped myself.  We may not have that many turkeys down here, but we make up for it with the inshore fishing.
Hard to beat redfish on the fly. I am a cabelas rod guy myself . Bought 2 winstons and a helios and I prefer my cabelas mtx. I am also very happy with there lsi line of rods as well. Picked up 1 of there lsi spey rods for steelhead in 6wt that thing is a wand compared to the 10ft 8wt I started with.

kjnengr

Quote from: dantheman on April 15, 2016, 10:06:07 AM
Quote from: kjnengr on April 15, 2016, 09:13:11 AM

Hard to beat redfish on the fly. I am a cabelas rod guy myself . Bought 2 winstons and a helios and I prefer my cabelas mtx. I am also very happy with there lsi line of rods as well. Picked up 1 of there lsi spey rods for steelhead in 6wt that thing is a wand compared to the 10ft 8wt I started with.

The real reason that redfish on the fly is so great is that it is a 90 -95% sight fishing thing.  You are actually more or less hunting the fish until its time to make the cast.  Then you get to watch them  flare their gills and suck up a fly or charge and crash it.  And they fight pretty good too.  Especially the bigger girls.

Ozark870Hunter

These were both landed by sighting then targeting. Love me a good set of polarized sunglasses!
Rainbow was 4.2lbs, and caught on my first rod. A Cabelas package deal.
Brownie was on a streamer.
Haven't goten a chance to fish the salt. The MO ozarks are pretty far from any ocean lol.   
United Front Armory
Custom built firearms

sulpher turk

UPDATE took the helios out this morning and the accuracy and presentation of a dry fly unmatched hands down. Now i see why they are so high priced! Rocket science in your hands. Blows the sage one out of the water.

sulpher turk

I even think it's a little better than my SAGE METHOD!

sulpher turk

Apparently the guy with red fish has never hooked a BIG BROWN!!!! :z-winnersmiley:

Marc

Quote from: sulpher turk on April 17, 2016, 07:37:18 PM
Apparently the guy with red fish has never hooked a BIG BROWN!!!! :z-winnersmiley:
???

A redfish would drown a brown if you tied them tail to tail...  Never caught a red on the fly, but I would compare them to fresh steelhead buck as far as fighting goes.  They dog ya' but they peel off some line.

I actually think pound for pound wild (non-steelhead) rainbows fight harder than browns do.  Steelhead are no comparison to either, and flat pull some line off the spool.

It seems in general, that salt-water or anadromous fish just seem to have more fight in them.

I caught this fish several years ago on a Sage SP 5 wt...  (Which I would very much like to trade in for the Helious)...  My biggest non-steelhead out of local waters to date, and very well might remain so till my death:

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.