OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box Call ?

Started by Triple Gobble, April 11, 2016, 09:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Gobble

I can't seem to bring myself to use one.  Maybe because
I don't like the one I have, and don't think the turkeys
Do either.  So am I missing out?  If so who would y'all
Recommend to make me one.  Also what's your favorite
Flavor(wood types), that has been the most consistent
Producers for you? :bible:
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

Happy

With you guys on the box call. I have one   and never use it. I love the yelps but to my ear I am not wild about the Cutts and purrs. My main thing is I don't like the bulk of carrying it around. Maybe one day I will change my ways but I wouldn't bet on it. Thinking I will go scratch box next year. Used to have one years ago.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TauntoHawk

I was that way for years.. I now love box calls and could make lots of suggestions.

First place I'd strongly suggest to start would be a call to Al at SS custom calls he has amazing sounding boxes in every price range and fast turn around times.

Another fun little entry to the box world would be beard buster mini single sider.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

nsselle

I live and die by the box! Lol.....in all seriousness I think the box is the most versatile call around. Just carry one with your slate or mouth call and give it a whirl

codym

I got a wilmper "pocket rocket" and love it. Already called in 3 rios and a few merriams this years. Great yelp and pretty good purrs, I love its size fits in my front pocket as the name would imply! Favorite call!

Gooserbat

As a turkey hunter I believe I evolve into a more versatile ant thus better hunter.  Over the past four or five years I've went from never to very often.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Bowguy

wvmntnhick

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 11, 2016, 09:32:32 PM

First place I'd strongly suggest to start would be a call to Al at SS custom calls he has amazing sounding boxes in every price range and fast turn around.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'll second contacting Al from SS. I've got three custom boxes this year. A Lonnie Mabry, an SS and a Richard McKinnis. I loaned the McKinnis to a buddy of mine to try out this year. The Mabry is currently in my vest only because I've not taken the time to swap in the SS. It will be there before I leave this weekend though. I've been playing with it big time at the house and because of that, it's been sitting on the table in my man cave. To be fair, the Mabry box is quite good. The yelps between the two boxes are about the same. The difference for me is the cuts on the SS box are easier to manipulate and the purrs are a touch better on the SS as well. I've used various store bought boxes for years. Used a Primos box cutter for quite some time with only one regret. I wish I'd have gotten a custom box much sooner. Primos was good to me but these boxes are much better.

mspaci

for a box I mainly use a lunch raspy hen(no longer made) one sider. Not to bulky & turkeys love it. Its split in several spots & glued back together and keeps on working. Mike

Triple Gobble

Thanks guys!!!! Sounds like I'll be giving SS calls a ring.  :mycross:

Triple Gobble

Might need the phone # anyone have it? :bible:

wvmntnhick

276-794-7771

Could also just pm him on here. Al check back pretty often and would probably reply either tonight or tomorrow.

SteelerFan

...I'll just add, when you get a GOOD box in your hands, there will be a world of difference! No comparison. And with that, you'll hesitate going into the woods without it.

wvmntnhick

He's right you know.

mgm1955

IMO a well made box is an extremely effective, versatile, killing call. You won't be disappointed with any call you get from the SS guys.