OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box Call ?

Started by Triple Gobble, April 11, 2016, 09:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cleveland48

I plan on having a custom box by next year. Right now I have a primos box cutter I've had for several years. It's my go to call when trying to strike a bird especially mid day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudhen

I've been using them for 30 years...no plans to stop...but yes, it needs to be a good call...Albert Paul for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

grayfox

I've probably bought & sold a half dozen over the years. 4 were SS calls & sounded great but I just don't seem to use them enough to keep them. I'm probably missing out by not using them more. I do have a single side cody I carry every once in a while on a windy day.

wvmntnhick

Worked 2 birds for my neice this morning. Shame she missed twice but that a different story. Regardless, worked them both with a Yingling crystal and Yingling aluminum with the exception of the fly down cackle and a few assorted yelps from the SS box. No joke, soon as I did the first fly down cackle, one of the birds flew down. Did another fly down cackle shortly thereafter and her came the other. Had some other answers later on the SS box as well but I believe the hens may have been a bit of an issue at that point. Love that box.

paboxcall

Quote from: Treerooster on April 12, 2016, 09:12:25 AM
I started out using mainly pot calls but gradually switched to using a box call as my main call. Just got better results from the ones that count...the turkeys....I always have a mouth call tucked in my cheek though.

My experience as well, once I got a hold of a quality box there was no going back.  To carry one call in the woods, weather not being a variable, it would be a long box.  There isn't a turkey sound you cannot make on a quality long box.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Dr Juice

The right BOX will cost you for sure :-) Not only in dinero but also in addiction.

Triple Gobble

Thanks guys, I need to go ahead and get one.  Then
Just take it and a mouth call with me, so I'll have to
Use it.  Then I'm sure that will build my confidence with
It.  That's what I had to do with a crystal pot call.  It seemed
Like I never could get a response with one, then I decided
To buy a loftis crystal screamer and used it almost exclusively
On opening day and had birds come in just out of range.  So I now have
Confidence in a pot call that's not a slate or ceramic.
Live your life through Jesus, and life begins!!!!

TauntoHawk

Box call and scratch box were game changes once I got them and learned how to play them well.

But you have to hunt with what you have confidence in, it just helps to be confident with a wide variety of calls.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hooksnhorns

I've been using an SS short box the last few days. It's a mahogany box w/ jatoba base & lid. It is a 6 brick check and has inlays. This box is beautiful, and I love the weight of the box and lid. It has an outstanding sound. If I knew how to post a sound file, I would. Those guys made an outstanding box when they made this one. I highly recommend one.
Don't Tread On Me

Marc

I started with a box call and "matured" into a mouth call...  Never really got into the pot calls, cause I lose the little sticks.

I now use a box call more than any other.  When you figure out the sweet spot of a good call, it just seems to generate a response.  Nothing seems  to irritate a hen more than a box call...  Soft tree yelps to loud shock "cutts," and just plain fun to use.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Va limbhanger

I'll be honest and say I've never really wanted to use a box call while hunting turkeys. Looking back it seems the guys who weren't very good at calling birds would be using a box call.
Fast forward several years now and I feel I need to have the box call in my arsenal. I'm sure I'll feel more complete with the box in my vest. I gave Al at SS custom calls a shout and he answered all my questions.
He's making me a Butternut/Maple field grade short box. Sure it won't be ready before this season runs out, but that's ok. I'm sure I'll have it with me in the Fall . Can't wait!
Remington 870 Super Magnum/FF3/Kick's GT .665

Benelli SBEII/FF3/Rhino .665

TauntoHawk

A good box for a guy who don't normally like to carry one should be the beard hunter single sider mini box. Effortless to run, loud, stays silent with the little elastic band it comes with around it during carry and can fit a shirt pocket. Things a screamer too

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marc

Quote from: Happy on April 11, 2016, 09:21:54 PM
With you guys on the box call. I have one   and never use it. I love the yelps but to my ear I am not wild about the Cutts and purrs. My main thing is I don't like the bulk of carrying it around. Maybe one day I will change my ways but I wouldn't bet on it. Thinking I will go scratch box next year. Used to have one years ago.

Maybe the particular call you have???  I was just reading this post, and oddly, I feel that a box call really clucks and cutts well...  Purrs seem to be variable between different calls...  With the purrs you have to play with the angle, pressure, and side tension a bit till you figure out how the call wants to be played (and admittedly, I have some boxes that I cannot make a decent purr out of).

My last hunt, I really had a chance to hear some hens cutting and yelping.  There is a hollow resonance to a live hen calling that a box call captures really well.  I have not heard a call that is better at emulating those single excited popping clucks than a box...  Tough to beat a good box call for that resonating yelping as well...

Listening to these birds calling, I was trying to figure out if that resonance is from the birds or a product of the wooded environment they are in, or some combination therein???  I noticed that this "resonance" seemed to disappear as the birds came in close.  (I also realized there were way too many hens romancing that tom for me to stand a chance with him)...  Probably a good topic for another thread though.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.