Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Gobbler proving elusive, advice needed.

Started by 357MAGNOLE, April 09, 2016, 07:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Today was the Va opener. Heavy winds, cold, and even some snow!

Morning started off extremely promising, I never had a chance to scout this new area so just going off the areas available (base hunting) I picked the one that looked to have everything turkeys need. I parked the car and popped the trunk and birds started sounding off all over! I though man this is great no way I don't score one today. These gobblers where hot! I had 6 in all different directions except for 2 that roosted together. All where within 400 yards.

Long story short, all Toms headed off in their own direction. 2 where obviously together and gobbled in sync. They had hens I could hear, and the hens pulled them away from me after I did a series of yelps.  The other 4 all did about the same, one was fired up and replying to every Yelp series I made. So I shut up and hoped he would come, he flew down and went the opposite way. I did not head toward any one bird, I setup on the edge of a field (the only field around) and setup a couple decoys.

Anyone got tips on how to handle birds like this? Just a couple yelps and shut up? Get aggressive until they fly down and then shut up? Get aggressive and stay aggressive? Pick one gobbler and try to move in closer? I setup in the middle of all the gobbling instead of trying to isolate one.

Still can't believe I had 6 spouting off all around me and not 1 came in to the calling. Going back to the same spot Monday morning before daylight and going to try and get within 100 yards of one roosted.  Hopefully they are still there.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

tomstopper

If they got hens with them it will prove challenging to get them to come to you no matter what you do. Try scratching in the leaves, fighting purrs, etc. Just stay after them and as soon as the hens start nesting, it should get better.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Get off the fields and the decoys.  As a matter of fact, leave the decoys in the truck.

Get right on the bird and play that bird.  400 yards is 300 yards too far and god knows how many real hens between you and the gobbler.

Additionally, when a bird flies away from you he has just told you what he wants to do and what you need to do to kill him.  Use a crow call to keep tabs on him and maneuver ahead of him.

Turkey hunting is an exercise in real time strategic analysis.  Start thinking more while you're in contact with the bird; every decision you make is either helping you seal the deal or decreasing your odds. 

Bowguy

First of all if you popped the trunk n birds were sounding off already you were too late to be near them. I understand you didn't know area but now you know where some are go in much earlier n start near them

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Bowguy on April 09, 2016, 08:22:12 PM
First of all if you popped the trunk n birds were sounding off already you were too late to be near them. I understand you didn't know area but now you know where some are go in much earlier n start near them

True, the road was blocked and I had to find an alternative route that took about 20 additional minutes not to mention I was 15 minutes later than planned to begin with.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Happy

If he has hens then you gotta play the hens. This is where good realistic calling comes into play. As mentioned before get in as tight as you can without bumping them and work the hens. If you can get them yelping back and cutting then give it right back to them. Make the boss mad and she will come. Big boy bringing up the rear. Usually anyways. Hennessy up toms are always a challenge but they can be killed.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 09, 2016, 08:13:10 PM
Get off the fields and the decoys.  As a matter of fact, leave the decoys in the truck.

Get right on the bird and play that bird.  400 yards is 300 yards too far and god knows how many real hens between you and the gobbler.

Additionally, when a bird flies away from you he has just told you what he wants to do and what you need to do to kill him.  Use a crow call to keep tabs on him and maneuver ahead of him.

Turkey hunting is an exercise in real time strategic analysis.  Start thinking more while you're in contact with the bird; every decision you make is either helping you seal the deal or decreasing your odds.

Hey man,

Yeah you are right. Halfway through the day I packed them up because they slowed me down. I pulled out the crow call and could get responses. But that stopped around 8:30 when the wind started gusting and all went silent. Today I didn't think about positioning myself on a bird. I have learned a lot this year but getting out of the car and immediately hearing more gobblers at one time than I have heard since I started hunting got me so excited all the learning I did went out the window and I just reacted, and with the wrong decisions. Monday I'll try to move in tight, lots of steep ridges and creek bottoms here.

renegade19

As somebody said earlier, get there much earlier.  When you set up set up in the general direction they were heading today.  If they're on the ridge, set up at their level or higher.  Good luck, be patient.  You'll smack a good one!

Dtrkyman

If you have no luck early, when the birds move off get into the roost area and camp out, he will show up late morning.  I like to look for concentrations of scratching in the hardwoods. Call sparingly and be still, he come in quiet!

Each day will be different, the longer the season goes the more hens will start to nest, and birds will get hot late morning! 

MouthCaller

Remember this advice too since you have steep ridges is to try to get above them as well its nearly impossible to call them downhill but they'll come uphill... I never understood why until Will Primos explained it on this year's truth video in Colorado. They are hard to come downhill because they don't have an escape route for predators like they would moving uphill. I only one time got a pair of gobblers to come downhill but was because they could see my Jake and breeding hen decoy setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

I always want to be as close as  possible, if you can identify some ridge tops using topo and where you heard gobbling Id get right up in there well before light.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

357MAGNOLE

Thanks for the tips fellas. I plan on being out there at 5:30 on top of the ridges where they where. Can't wait for the morning!

GobbleNut

Good advice given.  Get there early (as in "in the dark".  If the birds are roosting in the same locations, set up where they flew down to before.  Call smart.  Kill gobbler.  Easy as pie!

Except,...when it doesn't happen that way.  Your situation reminds me of one I was in many years ago.  Found a spot where there were birds everywhere,...and nobody else around except for me and a couple of buddies.  We thought,..."this is going to be a piece of cake".  Long story short, we hunted three weekends there and never killed a bird.  They just would not play.
...Hope things are better for you....

ilbucksndux

It has been said,but is worth saying again. Get in there early get as close as you can without bumping them off the roost. If I can get within 50 or so yards of him in the tree the chances of killing him go way up. If you can get in the path that you think he will go even better. The problem is that once you think you know what direction he will be going,he will go the other way. I DON"T call at him while he is in a tree. Some have different opinions but thats my guideline. When the hens pitch out,scratch the leaves,when he flies out I call.
Gary Bartlow

wvmntnhick

Not much to add to this other than good luck. When he's henned up, it's going to be a challenge. In a case like that, you'll have to get in front of the bird or call the leader of the harem. Aside from that, your only other option is to camp out and be quiet. If you've called to him early and he responded as he went away, there's a good chance he'll remember where you were eps hen his hens leave him. When that happens, he'll be coming back. Probably silently but never know.