OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Gobbler proving elusive, advice needed.

Started by 357MAGNOLE, April 09, 2016, 07:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 10, 2016, 05:30:49 PM
If you've called to him early and he responded as he went away, there's a good chance he'll remember where you were eps hen his hens leave him. When that happens, he'll be coming back. Probably silently but never know.

I am pretty sure that happened Saturday morning, around 8:45-9:30 one that was behind me and talking to me a little but ran off with hens came back in. He came back silent and would not gobble. I only knew he was there because he started clucking. I tried to re-position to the other side of the tree because he sounded further off, he was on top of a ridge already, but across the creek bottom on the other side from me. So when I got up I got busted. That was on me for not being patient...
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

hobbes

I agree with some of what has been said, but think more about the set up than just uphill or downhill.  Im mostly talking about a roosted bird in the next few sentences.
I've called them downhill but I hate that set up unless I'm somehow stuck with it, but it had more to do with how uncomfortable it is to look straight up a steep hill and I can't see the tom.  Think about where the tom is willing to go.  He can or may go around, up, down, or over anything but is a tom with hens going to work that hard unless he's following a hen? Getting ahead of where you think hes going is great but I've seen big timber birds randomly go from one direction to the next for no apparent reason.  They don't always have a set pattern to their travels.  So, Unless you've got a good reason to believe they are headed one direction or the other, just be sure to set up on the same ridge as the bird to make getting to you easy.  He may well pitch down to the bottom, across to the next ridge, or up to the top.  However, unless you know that he makes that a habit your guessing with that set up.

If the initial set up doesn't pan out, that is when you can start moving on him if the circumstances will allow.  I understand the whole patience is a virtue thing, but hanging out on a ridge clucking and purring every 30 minutes because old timer wisdom says he'll always come back looking for you mid morning, "just be patient", absolutely does not always pan out. Learn when patience is called for and when it will give you nothing more than a sore rear end and a nap.  If I had limited area to move and limited birds to hunt then that plan may sound ok, but it's not the sure fired method of killing turkeys that it's proclaimed to be, not to mention it's boring as heck.  Keep him gobbling and move around him.

However, unless you can keep tabs on the multiple small flocks by their gobbling, this may be a case where moving too much is too risky.  Youve got a lot of birds running around, so the circumstances may well call for sitting right for a while.

Turkeys, especially Easterns, like sweet talk...sweet seductive yelping.  Clucks, purrs, whines, scratching, all are effective at convincing a tom you are the real thing, use them all, but learn to yelp covincingly from soft naisly tree yelps to loud obnoxious yelps and you'll be fine.  A tom isn't counting the ratio of yelps to clucks.  With that said, I typically start all eastern birds off a little on the quiet and reserved side, but that is a whole lot more than yelp a couple times every 20 minutes.  When a hen wants something she lets the whole woods know it, so picking it up is not out of the ordinary.   If soft seductive isn't getting it done, don't hesitate to give him more and more excited.

Typically for a roosted bird, I'll give him a few tree yelps and shut up whether he responds or not.  He heard them.  On occasion I'll call a little more if hens start talking a lot, but I'm calling to them for the most part and I dont want to get any more carried away than them.  Too much call I g to a roosted tom may get plenty of response but I find that it keeps him in the tree longer and he waits for me to show up.  When I think it's time to fly down, I imitate a fly down with my hat.  If the tom is gobbling a lot I'll cackle as I do it.  If he seems real reserved I won't cackle.  I'll throw in a couple clucks and wait.  I've had hens almost land on me and the toms follow, and I've had them ignore everything.   After a while I may help a little, but I pretty much wait to see what the tom is going to do and work him as necessary.

There is no silver bullet.  To become effective at killing turkeys, you have to read the situation and act accordingly.   

hobbes

As far as multiple birds gobbling.  Like most guys probably do, I go to the closest one or the one gobbling the most, but neither of those guarantees anything.  The blabber mouth will back off and the quiet guy will get wound up, it's a gamble. 

You have to be careful with that many birds roosting around the area.  Ive bumped birds more times than i care to remember because i immediately started down a ridge before giving the rest of the birds a chance to respond.

I have on multiple occasions set up on a ridge with a blabber mouth one direction and a reserved bird the other.  The big mouth gobbled at everything but wouldn't budge and the tom that only gobbled a couple times slipped in quiet off to the side or behind me.  It's happened enough times that I try to watch for it.  My theory is the quiet bird is a little spooked by the dominant tom that is trying to assemble his hens so he's quiet and tries to skip in and grab the lone hen.  He is often times as big, possibly bigger than the big mouth.