OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

been waiting for my custom box call almost 2 months how long is too long

Started by Ranger518SVS, April 07, 2016, 04:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger518SVS

I ordered my first custom box call from a builders web site in feb. He told me he builds one at a time and it could take a couple of weeks, that's understandable but I'm still waiting. Never receive information from the guy until I email him first. Is this normal? I don't want to post his business name or name seen his calls win some NWTF competitions do decided to order from him. Sure wish now I went with SS calls.

highball

Some of the more in demand callmakers take up to a year to get a call.

MDSTRUTNRUT

Waited 2 years on one but I knew at least 1 year ahead of time.   Your guy said a couple weeks, hopefully on the way.

Ranger518SVS

Thanks, don't know why he said couple weeks. Might of been a mistake.

doublespurs21

give the guy a phone call and see what he has to say...  you know most callmakers like to go hunting also.. :z-twocents:

M Sharpe

As a call maker myself, there could be several reasons. Myself, I have a regular job, I have a wife, I also like to turkey hunt, not just build calls. He may have others ahead of you. The guy might be in the hospital, etc, etc. Most don't take offence to you giving them a call to find out about the status of your call. However, if I've got a pretty good list, I'm up front with the guy and tell it may be a little bit because I've got several ahead of you. I've even told several that they more than likely won't get to hunt with their call this year. Besides, this is kind of the busy season. Most call makers I know are as busy building calls as accountants are trying to get tax returns out before the deadline. But then again, I hope you didn't get sucked in by a bad apple!!
I'd say just give him a call.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Buzzkiller

Most of the call makers I've had dealings with are straight up great guys and will let you know the wait time on their calls but they are very busy this time of year. Give him a call and see what he says.

I do know a fellow that makes some of the best calls that sure could work on his people skills,
may be the same guy  :lol:

Pettit877

People need to realize that 99% of custom call
makers,have 40-50hr a week jobs, family's, wives and no doubt love to hunt turkeys.  It is now the first part of April and many states turkey seasons
Underway, these guys are enjoying there free time, that they have earned putting in many hours in the shop as well as their  professional jobs. 

Your number will be up soon and you'll recive your call, no doubt a top notch call at that.

Good things come to those who wait.....

Eric

TauntoHawk

I've been waiting well over a year on a wait list that I was told 6months  originally. I'm not worried about though know he's a good guy with a full time job and a big demand for calls

SS does have a fast turn around and great calls too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lmbhngr

M Sharpe

I'm waiting a year on a box call from a well know call maker. I don't have a problem.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

West Augusta

It's also turkey season.  Most call makers get flooded with orders right before turkey season.  You would be better off ordering in the off season.  Way off season.  I once had a list that was over 2 years just for a striker.  Big name box call makers can be much worse.  The bigger the name the longer the wait.  Usually. I'll bet that you love the call when you get it though.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pappy

Quote from: West Augusta on April 07, 2016, 08:38:23 PM
It's also turkey season.  Most call makers get flooded with orders right before turkey season.  You would be better off ordering in the off season.  Way off season.  I once had a list that was over 2 years just for a striker.  Big name box call makers can be much worse.  The bigger the name the longer the wait.  Usually. I'll bet that you love the call when you get it though.
I have to agree...I have been swamped with so many orders in the past two months, it is beginning to take its tole... I have waited a year on a box call too, but it was well worth the wait....the thing about ordering during off season is that the call maker would not feel rushed and that you would have more time to practice a call's particular characteristics.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

triune

As a callmaker, with a 40+ hour week job that can take me on unplanned out of town jobs and father of four, my plans often change daily.  I always welcome a phone call from someone who is waiting on a turkey call from me and encourage them to do so.  Wouldn't think it would be an issue with you interested in an updated status of your caller.

strutnrut

Two weeks isn't that long. Like Mark said we have a life also. I would give the guy a call and if it looks like it is taking to long cancel your order and go with a different call maker but keep in mind that this time of the year there is going to be a wait on most callmakers. Right now I am pretty much down due to health reasons. I feel super bad but there isn't much I can do in the shop. Just call the guy sure he will work with you.