OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My season so far, FLA stunk, SC ruled

Started by RutnNStrutn, March 31, 2016, 09:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Opened up the season in FLA on one of my favorite WMA's. I was very excited.......until I saw the forecast.  >:( 2 days of rain, then the front was to pass through and have high winds. :(  Not exactly my favorite hunting conditions, but when you get drawn for a public hunt, you go when the hunt is. Bad as I thought it was, it got worse. Opening morning wasn't bad weather, yet, but the Wally's were abundant. Between the weather and the Wally's I struck out.
So I headed to my camp in S. Carolina. Weather was great the first 2 mornings. The birds liked it too! Lots of gobbling, but no cooperative birds. Then the weather got worse, with sporadic rains for a couple of days, followed by a weekend of 2 days of rain. The next morning was nice weather with the front having pushed through. Poor gobbling morning, so I went to a spot the turks travel through. Sat there from dawn until 1030. Decided to change locations. Was packing up my stuff when I heard footsteps splashing in the water. Eased my head around and there were 2 longbeards and 2 jakes standing 28 yards away. I slooooooowly reached for my gun but they busted me and ran off. Aaaaaaargh!! >:( :-\ ::)
Next day was a great gobbling day, but the gobblers didn't show. I called in 4 super jakes, and 2 solo hens. Finally, while switching locations, I heard a courtesy gobble at 1130. I closed the gap, crow called and got another gobble!! :icon_thumright: Closed to 150 yards, he gobbled again on his own. I was on a field edge, he was in a swamp. I quickly set a decoy out in the field, and retreated to a tree. I floated out some yelps and he gobbled!! :gobble: Waited a few minutes, and clucked loudly. He gobbled again, and had closed half the distance!! :funnyturkey: I gave him the silent treatment and watched where he gobbled from.
A few minutes later, a jake walks out on the field edge. I knew that was not a jake gobble, so I sat still. Then I saw another bird easing along the brush at the field edge. Then another. And another!!! :o
3 longbeards were following the jake. As soon as they rounded the corner and saw my hen deke, the dominant bird busted into full strut. :turkey: I started sizing up the 3, deciding which one to shoot. While I was doing that, the biggest gobbler and the strutter crossed heads. I aimed at the strutter to see if that happened again. It did, and as the heads crossed, I dropped the hammer, and 2 longbeards fell!!! :fud: :OGani: :OGani: :you_rock: :turkey2:
I jumped out of my chair and whooped it up!! :happy0064: :icon_thumright: :funnyturkey:
Gobbler #1 had a 10" beard, weighed 19.2 lbs, had 1" & 7/8" spurs, scoring 57.875.
Gobbler #2, the strutter, had a 9-7/8" shot off beard (I hate when pellets go through the beard >:( >:( >:(), weighed 16.2 lbs, with twin 1" spurs, scoring 55.875.

The next couple of days were filled by gay gobblers that were by themselves, but walked away when I called to them. Oh well, 1 more tag left for my SC season, and I've still got a couple of hunts to go in FLA, 1 public, 1 private. Beyond that, got several options. I love the spring!!!

g8rvet

Very nice.  I have had that opportunity a few times, but it was never legal. Of course the last 2 years when legal, I never had the chance.  When I grow up, I wanna be like RUT!   :turkey2: 

The rain has sure been messing things up in my neck of the woods too.  Had 3 nice days I could hunt.  I have had my turkey clothes in the dryer as much as on my back! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

tomstopper

Awesome job RutnN. Congrats. Would love to shhot two birds at once but here in NY that would get me into some trouble....  :funnyturkey:

g8rvet

If you are having trouble with places to hunt because of weather and permits, come on up.  I got a place to put you up too.  Huge wide open WMA for the hiking.  Steve is retired too.  You old firemen can chase them. 

Rio Fan

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on March 31, 2016, 09:18:15 PM
Very nice.  I have had that opportunity a few times, but it was never legal.
Likewise. I've had the opportunity many times, but never legally. Finally it happened when it was legal!!
Depending on how the season goes, I may take you up on that G8rVet. Got another hunt here, and a private land op, but we'll see. If not, we'll hook up next year, and I'll invite you up to SC.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: tomstopper on March 31, 2016, 09:26:56 PM
Awesome job RutnN. Congrats. Would love to shhot two birds at once but here in NY that would get me into some trouble....  :funnyturkey:
First opportunity I've ever had either, legally.  :lol:

MouthCaller

Ok 1. What's a wally? And 2. In jealous... wish we could kill more than one a day in TN... nice job

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Dr Juice

Awesome deal. The pics are great. It is illegal to do a two for one in NY but would love to do it in the future where legal. Best of luck with #3.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: MouthCaller on April 01, 2016, 01:21:53 AMWhat's a wally?

:lol: That's a slang term that the group of guys I hunt with use for impolite idiots on public land. Guys that have no respect for other hunters, crowd them, follow them, etc. Walking Wally's is what they are!! ;D

Yes, I've had many opportunities to shoot 2 birds at one time before, but it was never legal where I was hunting. Finally got a couple of birds lined up right in a state where it is legal!! :icon_thumright:

hobbes

Congrats Rutn!

One more week to wait here.  Scouting new location tomorrow.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: hobbes on April 01, 2016, 11:45:17 AM
Congrats Rutn!

One more week to wait here.  Scouting new location tomorrow.
Good luck Hobbes!!! :icon_thumright:

mgm1955