OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

First Turkey Hunt- Need Guidance -;)

Started by qbaker, March 18, 2016, 05:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbaker

Hello

Looking to do my first Turkey Hunt this Fall (Oct). I've been studying online, watching videos, learning calling, season call differences, etc. Anyone Turkey Hunt? Could you offer any tips? Wish I had someone to go with me for my first hunt, and to help me scout pre-season. I'll be donating the meat to my local City Mission each Spring and Fall.

1. Pre-Season and In-Season Turkey Scouting Tips?
2. 12g or 20g - Does it Matter or is Load More Important?
3. I'm Planning On Hunting Zoar Valley Multiple Use Area (MUA) (Nearby Public Land in Western New York, recommended to me by NYS DEC. I live in Buffalo. Anyone Hunt Here Can Direct me to the Turkeys?

PS, I'd love to have a first-time guide if anyone's in for the fun, or a few bucks -

Marc

In scouting, knowing the habitat of the birds local to your area is key...  Look for turkey tracks on dirt roads, and find high ground and listen for birds at first and last light... 

When scouting a new and potentially productive area, if I cannot find ample sign, and I cannot raise a gobble with a locator call, I will use a loud hen call (usually a box call) to see if I can get a response.  Once I have a response, I do not call any more while scouting. 

As for the loads and guns...  Some sort of tight turkey choke is optimal, but a full choke is sufficient for birds in good range...  A 12 ga. has more pellets than a 20 ga., and thus you are more likely to put a pellet into the head/neck area of a turkey.  A 12 ga. has a bit longer range simply due to the fact hat you have more pellets (the pellets do not have more energy and the actual potential range is equal for both gauges).

Lead copper-plated #6's are a great starting point, and turkey loads are widely available in both 12 ga., and 20 ga.  Hevi-shot type loads are a more dense shot, and holds a tighter pattern than lead, and although expensive, that is what I shoot (i.e. Hevi-shot #6's).

Most of my shooting is close, and I would have no issue using a properly choked 20 gauge with the right loads...  I seriously doubt that a 20 gauge would have prevented me from killing any of the birds I have harvested...  Still, nice to have the extra fire-power if you need it, or misjudge a bird.

When I first got into turkey hunting I read a bunch of good books on the biology of turkeys and some of the tactics used to hunt them...  There are websites which will show and describe turkey tracks (and how to differentiate hen tracks from tom tracks), and even show you how to identify hen and tom turkey poop (that involves a slightly unpleasant taste test though :goofball:).

I started from scratch on my own, and enjoyed the learning process immensely.  I was not and am not afraid to talk to and learn from people that knew or know more than I do though.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Farmboy27

The best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to ask questions, put the time in scouting, don't get to frustrated, and above all else have fun.  Turkey hunting (both spring and fall) can be an incredibly fun and rewarding pastime.  It might even turn into a serious addiction like it is for most of us on this site!  When it comes to hunting anything and I'm having a tough season, I always remind myself that I'm doing this to have fun!!  So go out there, learn from others and from your own mistakes, and make it fun!!

qbaker

Thanks Farmboy--

I will remember this while out Turkeying around -;)

fallhnt

I enjoy fall turkey hunting the most. The best advice I could offer for fall is don't try to "bust" flocks in the fall and think you will call a bird in and kill it. Success will be low. A bust is a waist of time UNLESS you are using dogs. Why scare something you are trying to hunt? I hunt fall flocks of all types just like spring. Scout,use decoys and call a lot. Once you find a fall flock the hard part is done. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

qbaker

Marc

Quote from: qbaker on March 18, 2016, 09:17:04 PM
What does it mean to "bust" a flock?

Turkeys are gregarious, and hang out in flocks or family groups in the fall... 

In the fall, birds will not generally come into a call as they do in the spring...  But, if you see a flock, and can somehow scare them into separating from each other (busting up a flock), the singles will try to join back together by calling eventually, and at this point they can be susceptible to calling...
One method is to keep your eye on a single and put yourself between that bird and the rest of the flock after you have broken them up...

In my experience you do NOT want to bust up birds in the spring.

*Edit...  Poor reading comprehension on my part...  I thought the question was regarding "busting up a flock," and did not realize that the OT was about fall hunting (as we are in spring season).  I need to learn to read before I type...

My only fall birds have been killed incidentally while duck or quail hunting... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

fallhnt

Quote from: Marc on March 18, 2016, 09:28:55 PM
Quote from: qbaker on March 18, 2016, 09:17:04 PM
What does it mean to "bust" a flock?

Turkeys are gregarious, and hang out in flocks or family groups in the fall... 

In the fall, birds will not generally come into a call as they do in the spring...  But, if you see a flock, and can somehow scare them into separating from each other (busting up a flock), the singles will try to join back together by calling eventually, and at this point they can be susceptible to calling...
One method is to keep your eye on a single and put yourself between that bird and the rest of the flock after you have broken them up...

In my experience you do NOT want to bust up birds in the spring.

:TrainWreck1:

beakbuster10

I would suggest trying to find someone to tag along with until you learn some of the basics, but if you can't, that's fine too. Just be ready to mess up a lot and to learn something from each mistake. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!! Guys that have turkey hunted their whole life still mess up. The biggest and most important piece of advice I think most people will give you is to just get out and spend time in the woods with birds. You can read every magazine, watch every video, and ask all the questions you want from others, but none of that can ever compare to first hand interaction, communication, and observation of turkeys. They teach you something new every time you're out there. Be a good student and pay attention to what they teach you! I'm pretty new around this forum as well, but I can assure you, you've come the best people on the Internet to talk turkey with. Not just hunters who have an overwhelming understanding of the wild turkey, but truly good people as well. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Ya...just saying I call birds in as easy in the fall as I do spring. I learned long ago to stop "busting" birds and start calling them in and killing them too. Killed 2 with a bow and 3 with a gun last fall. Before my son started college I would hunt KS NE MO and IL in the fall and took home 4 bird fall limits in those states ,archery and firearm. I would say I have a sound game plan and tactics when it comes to fall hunting.

silvestris

I reccomend that you purchase Tom Kelly's book, "a Fork in the Road".  Tom calls it a primer for the beginning turkey hunter.  I purchased a copy for my grandson so he wouldn't be so ignert.  This old 68 year old fart got the chance to read it a week ago and it contained a lot of information that I had to learn the hard way.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

The Woodsman

If it's a first fall hunt for you, get Denny Gulvas DVD on Fall Turkey Hunting. In my opinion it will get you on track to having a solid foundation for being successful for this and future hunts.

Your preference on the gun, I prefer the smaller gauge for hunting anymore.

Good luck!

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: The Woodsman on March 19, 2016, 08:52:59 AM
If it's a first fall hunt for you, get Denny Gulvas DVD on Fall Turkey Hunting. In my opinion it will get you on track to having a solid foundation for being successful for this and future hunts.

Your preference on the gun, I prefer the smaller gauge for hunting anymore.

Good luck!
Agreed, that is an excellent DVD on Fall Turkey Hunting.  I would also recommend Steve Hickoff's Fall and Winter Turkey Hunter's Handbook.

qbaker