turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Turkey Hunt- Need Guidance -;)

Started by qbaker, March 18, 2016, 05:58:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodfather

Qbaker I live outside of Buffalo also and know the area your planning to hunt somewhat.  It is big woods and my first advise would be spend some time there and get to know the terrain. Stay away from he gorges and steep areas. There is problems every year with hikers.

qbaker

Sod... thanks!

I plan to take a trip to spend a little time scouting. Also plan on purchasing the DVDS mentioned earlier in replies. Have you hunted the area?

sodfather

No I have never hunted that area I have private land I hunt mostly but when I do hunt public land its a little closer to home. That's a little far away from me honestly but I do hear good things..

qbaker

How would you suggest I go about scouting the area? Especially since its so large. (October). Should I go during day. Before dawn sunrise would be dark would that make scouting difficult? 

Quote from: sodfather on March 19, 2016, 09:21:40 PM
Qbaker I live outside of Buffalo also and know the area your planning to hunt somewhat.  It is big woods and my first advise would be spend some time there and get to know the terrain. Stay away from he gorges and steep areas. There is problems every year with hikers.

silvestris

Just get out in the woods (in daylight) with a quad map and a small notebook.  Learn the country and take notes of what you learn.  Spend time at home studying the quad map learning where the ridges lead you and the easiest ways to get into and out of the "gullies".  Search for turkey sign and note the times of the year that you found sign in a certain area as turkeys will change their range (usually to different elevations) throughout the year.  You want to learn the areas the turkeys prefer during your hunting season.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

qbaker