OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

jake decoys

Started by rock54, March 16, 2016, 12:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rock54

just a question to think about, i know, us that use decoys want the most realistic ones we can get....

so between the dsd, avianX and deception would for sure be the most realistic jakes out on the

market, but my question is if you look at them their body position is all differant between them, so

are we overlooking body position( that might be the key for success) then for looks ??? russ

fallhnt

Just buy what you like. I bought a Avianx and didn't think it was for  me , so I returned it. I'll buy a Deception for a different looking decoy , for me more than the birds. I own 3 stuffers and a DSD jake.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

mudhen

Body position with jakes seems to be a big issue for me...I've had success with the AX jake...staked low, or even on the ground...DSD hen all the time...

But if I didn't travel to hunt, I'd be 100% DSD...they don't need inflation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

southern_leo

I'm not willing to spend the money on a dsd or avian yet. I bought a funky chicken, and the detail is actually FANtastic (pun intended). May want to give it a look. Also youtube videos of it are floating around. Think it was $29.99 at BPS.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

skimerhorn

JLH

I've had great success with the DSD jake for the past couple years.

I just got the Deception jake to add to the mix....he looks fatastic!

And the will always be paired with the deception boss hen.

MK M GOBL

I'd use a DSD Strutter with the DSD Jake set as a submissive to him or I'll use the jake and one of my DSD hens when I run & gun.

MK M GOBL

turkey harvester

I have a primos jake mobile with a full fan in it. Small body, short stubby beard hasn't let me down yet.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

bryguy

I'm new to turkey hunting ( only 3 years ). My first year I used a hen decoy and it fell over in a gust of wind, but it still kept a tom curious enough to harvest. The second year, well that's why they call it hunting. Last year I used the Funky Chicken and got the whole show at ten yards. My question is, are the looks of the decoy for us or the turkeys? Why drop over 100 when that ridiculous Funky Chicken produced the same result? Like I said, I'm new to turkey hunting I really would like to know. Side bar, all my turkey gear was stolen so I'm going to buy another set of decoys, that's why I'm asking. Thanks in advance for any help.

osceola_hunter

I have had great success with both AX Jake and strutter decoys.

For me what works best is staking him behind a submissive hen. Two toms couldn't resist and raced each other across the field to my set up. Before they knew what happened the deal was sealed.

g8rvet

Quote from: bryguy on March 17, 2016, 11:05:22 AM
My question is, are the looks of the decoy for us or the turkeys?
Just like camo colors and patterns, they are mostly about sales. I have killed turkeys with those crappy old huge head foam decoys.  Did not look that much like a hen to me, but the gobbler loved her.  Or tried to.  Same for camo.  Mostly about being still.  We all like nice things and we like it to look nice to us, but they are usually just overkill.  That's what I think anyways, your mileage may vary.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

rock54

guys... is guess i wasnt so clear in my question...

wheather cheap or expensive not the point....all the jakes have a little differant body posture,

is that MORE important in sucess, of attracting, then how good looking they are, are arnt ?

was just somethin i was thinkin about?  russ   

every company has made their jake in a differant posture, pull them all 3 up and look at them ?

Dtrkyman

posture will certainly play a role, they read body language very well, as far as which is best who really knows as they all work at some time or another, the best turkey decoy jake has a description of why they have there decoy posture the way it is, check it out.

Marc

Quote from: rock54 on March 17, 2016, 02:02:12 PM

wheather cheap or expensive not the point....all the jakes have a little differant body posture,

is that MORE important in sucess, of attracting, then how good looking they are, are arnt ?

every company has made their jake in a differant posture, pull them all 3 up and look at them ?

The answer to that is yes...  But to know when to use what decoy at which location under what circumstances?

Tom that has been beat up by jakes all season might turn tail at a jake decoy...  Tom that is king of the castle will run up on a strutter for a fight...

I do not own a DSD, but have certainly seen and heard of the way birds react to them...  That body posture of almost strutting seems to insight aggression

I have a friend who uses DSD's and last year he put out both the DSD and the Funky Chicken (FC) for fun...  His one interaction with a bird, the bird went to the Funky Chicken, walking right by the DSD and picked a fight...

I would guess on public ground, or areas of high pressure, the birds might be a bit leery of a such an unrealistic decoy as the Funky Chicken (FC)  though.

Like Mudhen, I purchased the DSD hen (leading hen) and the Avian Jake...

I like the leading hen, cause it looks good on a stake, but removing the stake and putting it on the ground (when the grass is short enough) it looks like a breeder...

The Avian was less money, less weight, and has better movement.  Semi-aggressive posture and a smaller body would intuitively (to me) seem to invite a fight   But heck, maybe the Funky Chicken would work better...

The question boils down to whether or not a bird would come into a DSD but not an Avian, or an Avian but not the FC...  Gotta' find a turkey that can talk and ask him.

I believe that decoy manufactures are catering to both the turkeys and the hunters...  If someone makes a decoy that works, word will spread and hunters will use it (i.e. DSD)...  Most hunters intuitively will be attracted to decoys that look realistic, and turkey hunters (like duck hunters) are a sucker for a gimmick (i.e. FC)....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

g8rvet

Quote from: rock54 on March 17, 2016, 02:02:12 PM

After re-reading, you were perfectly clear, I misread. 

The thing about those old cheap dekes, is their posture was like generic walking turkey and most times, the Toms just walked on by them.  I agree, posture is key, and situational.  I have always used one walking and one feeding posture hen.  Got a DSD leading hen this year I am gonna try.  The posture looked relaxed and like Marc said, can double as a breeding hen (which I am gonna try with a Funky Chicken standing near).  Please don't tell the guys I hunt with, I don't want them to catch me with it.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.