OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mouth call help

Started by Dmason3, March 09, 2016, 08:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmason3

Finally able to make some noise with my mouth call without gagging. The only problem is that it's pretty high pitched and it almost sounds like more of a goose than a turkey. Any tips or hints you guys can shoot my way? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Watch mouth calling videos and practice lots. I finally got good when I started using calls built with prophylactic and not latex in the beginning. Good luck
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Dtrkyman

too much pressure against the reeds more than likely.   Air needs to come from diaphragm do not just blow through it.

Marc

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Deadlyattractiongamecalls

I have been using mouth calls all my life just about and here are a few tricks that have helped me.  I will usually trim the back a little so it sets in the roof of my mouth easier and prevent gagging.  You should keep your cheeks tight and don't blow them up like a chipmunk.  I bring the air up from my gut.  When I teach people to use them I first have them just blow air across it and keep the note going.  Then when your comfortable with the tone start using the middle of your tongue to press against the reeds to cut them off can create your yelps and clucks.  Finally find which ones you like the most.  I run a split V double a lot or a 2.5.  If I am hunting birds that are educated I will go to a triple reed to tone it down and purr on.  Find what your comfortable with and stick with it.  Good luck and do a lot of practicing.  Each year I start right at the new year playing with mouth calls.

Kenny
Deadly Attraction Game Calls

osceola_hunter

I am still really green when it comes to diaphragm calls as well, but one thing that really helped me become consistent with the air I move across the call was a tip from a call maker: Don't blow on the call, but huff air from your diaphragm like you are trying to fog a mirror.

That really helped me and from there it was just lots of practice and working on tongue pressure on the reeds.

FLTXhunter

Also, learn the simple cluck.  It is pretty easy....I say the word "puck".  It's effective for closing the deal on curious gobblers in the timber.

dejake

relax your mouth, let the call float on your tongue.

GobbleNut

First,....practice and perseverance.  Very few people learn how to use mouth calls quickly.  For most, it is a frustrating experience trying to learn to control air flow so that you can make the right sounds.  A lot of folks give up way too soon and just conclude that they are not able to run mouth calls because of things like the shape of their mouths.  Anybody can learn to use a mouth call,...but it takes practice and perseverance!

Second,....the explanations by other here are good, but ultimately, you must learn for yourself on how to control air flow and create sound with the call.  Once you do that, then you can move on to the next step, which is determining what call configuration will work best for you.  That process also takes some time,...and also some money invested in calls.

My one word of advice on buying calls:  Until you have established a solid foundation of being able to control your air flow and the sounds you can make with a call, do not make the mistake of buying very expensive calls thinking that the more a mouth call costs, the better it is.  The cost of a call has very little to do with how you, personally, will be able to run it.  My advice is to get a number of inexpensive calls of various types first so that you can get a feel for what call designs work best for you. 

Over time, you will begin to key in on the call designs that you, and your mouth call mechanics, are best suited for.  Admittedly, this process can be a bit tedious, but the end results are well worth the effort.

BBD

Lots of good advice.... I have been using a mouth call for 20 years but I recently watched a video on Youtube called "Mouth call mechanics" that taught me more than any other I've watched (I own Scott Ellis' videos but they just make me green with envy, that dude is just GOOD.)    The first part of the Mouth Call Mechanics is basic understanding of the call but about 2/3rds the way through it gets good.  Good Luck and keep practicing!

Dr Juice

Some good advice here but the one thing I add is to stick with two reed calls until you master it. I'm no master by any means but I prefer the two reed due to its easy use. Good luck.

Dtrkyman

Make sure you separate the reeds, they stick together after they dry out!

BBD

Dmason3 I thought about you this morning while I was hunting...not sure how that should make you feel. lol    I developed a really bad habit early on that I still haven't broke and if your just starting maybe I can help before it's to late.  I put my hand to my mouth to call, everytime I call. It just doesn't sound right if I don't.  I'm sure most everyone does it but if you can learn to call without doing it I think you'd be way ahead in the game... JMO

Dmason3

Thanks for all the advice guys. Got a few pointers I would have never thought about. Awww shucks BBD you got me blushing...haha yea I do that when I'm practicing on the drive to work. Definitely need to fix that before it becomes a habit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adkhunter71

Quote from: BBD on March 30, 2016, 04:09:30 PM
Lots of good advice.... I have been using a mouth call for 20 years but I recently watched a video on Youtube called "Mouth call mechanics" that taught me more than any other I've watched (I own Scott Ellis' videos but they just make me green with envy, that dude is just GOOD.)    The first part of the Mouth Call Mechanics is basic understanding of the call but about 2/3rds the way through it gets good.  Good Luck and keep practicing!
I was going to say the same thing....I am fairly new to turkey hunting and this video is great...I also bought Conquer the Call from Cabela's which is helpful, but I honestly got more out of the Mouth Call Mechanics video on youtube.