turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mouth call help

Started by Dmason3, March 09, 2016, 08:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRG3

The YouTube "Mouth Call Mechanics" is a good one. In fact, I modified a couple of my "V" cut diaphragm three-reed calls to open them up and they are now easier to use. Being that this is the 9th year to use the same mouth calls -Yes, it takes a little mouth wash and tooth picks to separate the latex reeds at the beginning of each season after they've been kept in a Zip Lock in the refrigerator during the off season-, it was time to see if I could improve their effectiveness. This past Tuesday morning a gobbler like my hen yelps and gobbles so much that he now resides in my freezer, at least the part that wasn't utilized in tonight's turkey pot pie!

renegade19

My two cents worth:  Don't be afraid to try several different calls until you find what works best for you (My favorite is the Hook's Enforcer).   Practice until it drives everyone in the house nuts and they banish you to the garage.  Listen to real birds and talk to them every time you get the chance.  Good luck!  You'll get it down. 

boatpaddle

Lots of great info passed along....

One thing of the utmost importance in learning to run a mouth call is finding the call, that fits You....Gobblenut nailed it in his post.

I'd recommend, starting with a double reed call for 2 reasons.  1. User friendly 2. Cost effective

Learn to make single notes of low, middle, and high FIRST, before trying to make turkey sounds...This teaches you air flow control, tongue playment, & a feeling for having the call in your mouth....

Teach yourself to call softly FIRST......Teaches air control & mouth calls are all about air control, when first starting to run them...PLUS, it ease household tension, when you sound like a dying seal at first....Over blowing a call will ruin it.....

Listen to "Calling all turkeys" for reference of what calls your going to practice, then call with the turkeys to compare your sounds to the turkeys sounds.

Be patient....Work thru the frustration & practice, practice, practice....15 min sessions of practice will limit your frustrations....

Good luck....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

nosaj

Just like everyone else on here says you have to try a bunch until you find the ones that work for you and keep practicing.  I had several cd's that I would listen too on the way to work.  It took me several years to find my favorite calls.  Before I was good at a mouth call I would use a pot or a box call.  Now I use them all!

Dmason3

Thanks for all the positive responses guys. Sounded good enough to have a hen try to fight me yesterday and it brought in a gobbler close enough to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk