OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem. 11-87 w/21'' barrel and Fed.Hvywt. #7

Started by beanman, March 07, 2016, 08:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanman

I have a Rem. 11-87 with a 21'' barrel and my son has a Rem. 870 with a 21" barrel.With the SSX choke tube the 11-87 gets 100-110 pellet count and the 870 gets 130-140.I only have the one tube so I used it for both guns.My question is what other tubes have got 140 counts in the 11-87.By the way they are both Youth models if that makes any difference.Federal HWT #7. Thanks

jordanz7935

Sumtoy 562-5, trulock HW 7 choke, Jebs .560, carlsons .575  Nothings guaranteed in patterning but those are all solid performers in every 20 ga rem I've seen with HW#7s.I use the sumtoy in my 21" 20 ga 870 and get 140s.

cluck

Beanman;  I have the 11-87 remington with 21 inch barrel, 20 gauge. I have the super full remington choke that will put 140 plus in a ten inch circle with fed. hw 7's. at 40 yards. A lot of folks say use the carlson .575 extended. Or the 570 primos tight wad and a sumtoy. Don't count out your ssx. 100-110 kills turkeys too. The remington and carlson sell for about $25.00 to $30.00. I have not had good luck with ported chokes and the fed. hw 7's. There is a ton of information here on Old Gobbler about your question. Just stay tuned long enough and you will get lots of advice. Hope you both kill a big old gobbler!!!!!    cluck

BDeal

Where can one find the Remington super full that can be used with hevi loads? I don't think they make them anymore.

nyhunter

Quote from: BDeal on March 08, 2016, 08:17:46 AM
Where can one find the Remington super full that can be used with hevi loads? I don't think they make them anymore.
  EBAY is a good place to start.

Philippe

They still make the lead only version I believe, I own both and the hevi-shot approved one shoots the best of the two but the lead only with the heavyweights is nasty too. By far my favorite 20ga chokes for the little Rem 870. Check Numrich, Ebay, MackPW, Midwestgunworks, one of those usually has them.

BDeal

I was told heavyweights are not to be used in the lead only version by a gun shop owner. Not sure why

CntrlPA

When i contacted Remington regarding that (which you should do the same), they told me that you're fine shooting the hevi13 or Fed. Heavyweight. "lead only" refers to not shooting steel

BDeal

I will have to contact them. The gun shop owner asked them specifically about hevi shot and heavyweight out of the standard super full remchoke and he was told that they do not recommend it.

mightyjoeyoung

You're fine shooting turkey loads, lead, hevi shot, or heavyweights, through the Remington suler full turkey chokes.   The restrictions are for LARGE nontoxic and steel shot larger than #4 shot. Your shop owner is misinformed.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

mightyjoeyoung

The steel used in both is identical.  This fact comes directly from a conversation I had in person with the vp of sales/marketing when the wingmaster hd loads/chokes first came out  Also the constriction noted is for 12 gauge which makes your post irrelevant as the super full 20 ga choke runs .572.  His exact words were "just don't run steel shot larger than #2  because it won't compress and can bulge or fracture the choke".  Also.  I guarantee you didn't ask that question as its been on the remmy support site FOREVER. 
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

BDeal

I never said I asked question. I'm just trying to understand if Remington doesn't recommend hevi shot with the standard lead only turkey choke. I've been told they do not but haven't contacted them yet.

BDeal

I contacted Remington and they said lead only in the lead only 20 gauge super full  choke. The gun shop owner I bought the gun from was told that Remington does not recommend use of Hevi or Federal Heavyweight in this choke as well. When I google it, I see some folks saying it is ok and some saying it is not so I'm really not sure. I would really like to try the Fed HW through this choke as I have already tried two others and would like better patterns.

deacon

Shoot the gun with the barrel dirty. Don't knock it until you try it. I clean mine then shoot 5-6 dove loads thru it before I pattern. Shot today and got 210 in 10" @40.

Remington youth 11-87 20ga with SSX .550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk