OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

age and career change...2 questions

Started by fallhnt, March 03, 2016, 09:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

I've been a ASE master certified Tech at a GM dealer for over 30 years. My only benefit is I work hard and make a good living. My wife has insurance and other family health care benefits for us. Well, I tested and interviewed for a union job in the elevator trade and my number has come up. I talked to a friend who has worked  in that trade for over 30 yrs. and he told me that with my work ethic that I would be working as long as I wanted. Fine by me. PRO's...Benefits, pay and my wife could stop working in about 5 years. Cons...Close to a 5 year apprenticeship program and I would be on the high end of 50 when done with the program. Has anybody been through a job change late in life and have any thoughts? How do I know GOD wants me there?
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

wmn2

First of all, I commend you for seeking where God wants you. I'd pray about it and let Him take you where you need to go.

I'm only 28, so I haven't done a career change later in life, but I am finishing up college now with a degree in business. I've been in the automotive industry for 8 years, with supervision being 7 of those 8. I make a great living, enough to where my wife can be a stay at home mom for our 4 kids and we struggle at times, but for the most part we are in a good place financially.

With that being said, i have two years of working where I am after I finish college due to them helping with tuition, but I want to go another route. Maybe even owning my own business. This will be at the same time that we pay off all of our debt, except for our home. I'll be around 30-32 when this happens and it's scary for me at that age to think about, but a supervisor in the automotive manufacturing industry is not what i want to do for the rest of my life. I'd say it's up to you, but I'd go where I was going to be happier. Hope I could help.

silvestris

The biggest factor is which job allows for the most turkey hunting.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

BowBendr

I understand. I am 47 and have been on my current job 15 years. For me, I detest every minute of it. I would like to stay and get my 20 years in but I am not sure my current position will remain intact and I am getting the feeling in MY gut that it is time to make one final move and live with it. Time feels like it is running out. I am preparing myself for a change and to be ready when an good opportunity arises. When God opens that door I will walk through it but the opportunity hasn't happened...yet.
Have you considered that this opportunity is Gods opening ? Are you waiting for him to tell you ? Im not sure either but I figure I will know because the feeling will move from my gut to my heart. Ask God to put it in your heart so you will know that it's not your head or feelings talking. Best of wishes !!

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

Dr Juice

Quote from: silvestris on March 03, 2016, 09:53:32 PM
The biggest factor is which job allows for the most turkey hunting.
Well said ... Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Forgot to say I am happy with my current job and it allows for plenty of turkey hunting. BowBendr I never thought of it as GOD opening the door. That's what this is. I've not changed jobs much in my life and have always felt GOD want's me here. (job wise)
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

tha bugman

Well if you are a believer and follower of the Lord Jesus Christ you really can't go wrong.  We have two doors open and some of us want God to put His foot on our backside and push us through the one He wants for us to go through.  He gives us free will because he loves us...not "thou shalt not take this job". Just remember that wherever you are that is your mission field for God.  I'll be praying for you and if you have more specifics you want me to pray for shoot me a PM.  Not for mans glory but for Gods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mabren2

Financially, I would consider the effects on my retirement at your age. Do you have any retirement benefits at your current job? If you leave now will you be forfeiting any of those benefits? What are the retirement benefits at the new job, and how long do you have to be employed there to have access to those benefits? You sound like a hard worker, and you might feel that you want to work as long as you're able, but you also have to keep in mind that there is no gurantee on how long you will be "able" to work. The compounding interest of most retirement investments can make a huge difference in a few years, so walking away from a big chunk, or not participating in a plan for a few years can be detrimental to your stability in retirement.

I don't want to sound like money is everything, because I'm not a believer in that. However, at 33 I know that I don't want to be forced to work full time when I'm 85. My goal is to be able to retire comfortably, and possibly work a part-time "hobby job" while I'm still able to enjoy that part of my life. Also, your family can possibly suffer the consequences of a poor choice in this aspect as well. On a fundamental level, the two worst things you can do as a bread winner for your family is A. die too young, or B. live too long (ie unable to work and retirement is depleted). You offset the risk of A with life insurance, and you offset B with prudent decisions regarding retirement during your career.

My post focuses on this factor because it seems that you have a good handle on the immediate effects of a career change, and I am just encouraging you to look a little further down the road. Again please don't take this as a greedy, money, money, money post.; that is not my concern. The goal is simply for you to be able to retire comfortably and enjoy what you worked so hard for, and to ensure financial stability for your family. Best of luck!

HFultzjr

30 years probably equals:
Vacation (Turkey Hunting)
Other perks
Top of the totem pole

New job probably equals:
Min. vacation (Turkey Hunting)
Min. other perks
Bottom of the totem pole
New guy on the block

Unless there is a compelling reason, such as you hate your current job, substantual pay increase/benefits, it a tough decision.

Always tough to leave your "comfort zone".......make sure it's worth your while.

TrackeySauresRex

Here are some addional considerations.
  Can you retire from the GM job? Are you in a pension system with that 30+ years? Is it possible to advise the powers that be you may leave. and negotiate for a better salary?
Right now. Can you take off at the drop of a hat when ever you want? Sounds like you have some seniority. Family time, and time to do what we love ya can't get back.
  Learning a trade is awesome! But you know what they say about the elevator business?
It's up and down  :funnyturkey:
I do know this from experience. Contractors tend to keep apprentices. So you will work steady for 5 years. Mechanics on the other hand,are another story. If the work picture is minimal you may be in for a bumpy ride. With new construction there are dead lines to meet. Contractors don't like when you take off.
  I was in the building trades and switched careers right after my apprenticeship. All because of the work picture.
Good luck.
B-Well
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Gooserbat

True fact:  leaving spirtuality aside we live our lives and strive for gain.  Now some people strive to gain possessions and others to gain experience.  I say this live your life to be happy.  If happiness comes in material wealth or gain then go for it and if it's in the ride then buckel up and do the things that make you happy today but still be responsible enough that tomorrow isn't a failure.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Meadow Valley Man

Does your current job have a 401k program that matches a percentage of your contribution?  Will the new job have that benefit? Do you feel fulfilled in your current job?

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 04, 2016, 09:05:15 AM
True fact:  l I say this live your life to be happy.

Mr.Gooserbat is spot on. ^^^^  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Mike Honcho

I am the Vice President and part owner of my company.  I understand your struggle with your decision and have had to make several like this myself.  There is really no way to predict the future of the new job, your current job is a known quantity good or bad, and only you know the good and bad things about it. Recently I had a young very bright employee come  to me and announce he was not looking for a job but a competitor had taken notice of how he handled himself at a trade show and contacted him later and offered him $20k more than he currently made. He was only in his current position about two years, I had planned on bringing his compensation up a good amount each year but faced with this I came up with a plan to retain him....he is vital to our business.  You might think through where you are currently in your compensation scale...are you topped out and no room for more income?  Is there potential for you to take more of a supervisory or management roll?  Until you have formally accepted the new job you hold all the negotiation cards with your current employer.  How hard will it be for them to. replace you? Put yourself in their shoes and think this through.
If you approach them respectfully and professionally they will listen...if you are a trusted and valuable employee and I am betting you are, you may be able to negotiate a substantial raise or promotion.

If this is an option for you,  you still hold all the cards...if you don't  get a better offer from current employer you can take the new job.   If they make you a counter offer you should be able to respectfully ask for a couple of days to talk it over with your family.

Above all be professional and respectful...you don't  know if you will like the new job and you may be back in six months inquiring about getting your old job back....don't  burn any bridges.  I would even go as far as writing your supervisor and company management a personal letter thanking them for your employment, if you take the new job.

Good luck in your decisions, I wish you the best.

Mike

vabeardhunter

I'm kinda at the same point in life fallhnt. I'm a real believer that the Lord will put the right people in place to help with those decisions. I've learned I can't do much without Him, and any and everything is possible with Him. Best of luck to you and will send a prayer your way.